Socks?

GPool1842

WKR
Darn tough.. man they are awesome. I’m converting all of my daily socks to darn tough. I like them more than smart wool.

Has anyone ran the kenetrek socks? Thinking of using the liner sock and the midweight Canada sock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their liner socks. I wear size 10 boots and the kenetrek sock size chart says i should have large. The large are too big I think i should have medium. The reviews i have read have said the same thing. They are thicker than most liners. I do like them but they do seem to run big. I have not used any of their regular socks.

Darn Tough without a second thought. For colder hunts I wear the Mountaineering Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion model. For intermediate temps I like the Hiker Boot Sock Full Cushion model. Darn Tough offers 4 models of socks in their Hunter lineup. Basically the same socks I named only in more sedate colors for hunters.

WJS23

WKR
Darn tuff all the way Thats all I wear now they are USA made and have the best warranty

4ester

WKR
Darn Tough and First Lite for me as well. I did pick up some Lorpen wool socks once, and they were a good price and lasted for a long time.

OP
S

Stagg412

FNG
Thanks for all the input. Seems Darn Tough and Gore get the most mentions, so I'll try those two out first.

Question for guys who have also tried both: do the Gore socks come with the same level of support as the Darn Tough?

The Darn Tough's are pretty good quality and service, but to be honest they make my feet sweat and seem to smell up pretty quick. I'm also not a fan of their sock lengths, the below the calf seems to low and the above the calf goes clear to my knees. There's probably an in between length somewhere on their site, but I haven't spent any time looking.

I've been trying Buffalo Wool Co. out of Texas and they've been awesome so far.

I just noticed one pair of my Gore lightweight socks are wearing on the heal. Gore (sitka) say they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I called and left a message for them. I will see how well they stand behind their socks. These socks are way to new to be wearing already. I have had great luck with their socks and have recommended them to many people. I will see how they stand behind them.

Owenst7

WKR
Costco trail socks are the only socks I've never had a blister with. They're made in usa, I'm guessing the mfg is probably wigwam.

Thanks for all the input. Seems Darn Tough and Gore get the most mentions, so I'll try those two out first.

Question for guys who have also tried both: do the Gore socks come with the same level of support as the Darn Tough?

If someone can tell the difference in support they have very sensative feet. The only sock out of the ones I mentioned that may provide a little more support is the compression first lite.

Just got off the phone with Sitka (Gore). They will not be warranting the Gore socks. They are not making them any more and do not have any to send out to cover warranty. He said this one time they will send me another item of equal value to cover it, but will not cover any more if there is any issue. This should make the decision easier.

Pretty disappointing they aren’t making the gore socks anymore as they truly were better for me.

Pretty disappointing they aren’t making the gore socks anymore as they truly were better for me.

Me too. He said that they were just making them to test the market and decided the market was not there. It was a pair of the light weight ones that I had a problem with. The midweight ones have been bulletproof.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a PA whitetail hunter who lives in a tree from Sept-Jan, but I'll be heading out West for the first time this fall. I was figuring on just wearing light wool socks, but I've seen a lot of specialized socks when I'm browsing higher end hunting clothing companies.

Are specialized socks more hype and a nice-to-have, or do they really make that much of a difference? We plan on putting on the miles in SW MT, so I'm taking painstaking care in my boot selection and sizing all the while considering what will work for my week out West AND at least a few seasons back here in PA. The last thing I want is to be hampered by raw heels.

I prefer merino either 100% or a merino blend with merino making up most of the material in the socks. Brands I have had great luck with are the following wool socks:

Darn Tough
Smart Wool
Wigwam (inexpensive and they make really nice thick winter boot sock)
Falke PH Ranger model

All last well and are really good to my feet. I never get blisters. Rarely get cold or hot. Just stay comfortable.

Last edited:

bat-cave

WKR
+1 for Gore Socks
I've also been happy with First Lite and Darn Tough. I used to always swear by a synthetic liner and heaver outer sock, but found that I don't need to with my Lathrop and Sons boots!

OP
S

Stagg412

FNG
Just got off the phone with Sitka (Gore). They will not be warranting the Gore socks. They are not making them any more and do not have any to send out to cover warranty. He said this one time they will send me another item of equal value to cover it, but will not cover any more if there is any issue. This should make the decision easier.

Wow. With all the praise I've heard here I would think they would have given it more of a chance. They have the numbers, though. Thanks for the update.

Has anyone ran the kenetrek socks? Thinking of using the liner sock and the midweight Canada sock

Yes, I have. I use the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner sock under a pair of the Kenetrek Alaska socks. The combination is awesome for me, and I haven't had any blisters or hot spots since I started using them. I only use them for hunting, not for everyday use.