Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Elite Review, By Brock Akers

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Picture-1.jpg

Most of you know Brock puts a lot of hard miles on his boots each season and is always pushing limits to get into the deepest, most remote areas he can find. Last season Lathrop and Sons released the Mountain Hunter Elite boot and Brock was excited to get a pair into the mountains for testing. Give this article a read to see of they might be right for you!

Lathrop and Sons Mountian Hunter Elite Review

Last edited by a moderator:

jmden

WKR
Is the fit in these like the wider Zamberlan in the 1005 HUNTER PRO GTX® RR with the Zamberlan Wide Last (ZWL)? That's the boot I'm using at the moment and sure like it but will need a new pair at some point and I understand eVent breathes better than Gore-Tex.

I don't see information on their site about these boots being insulated.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say that I have much experience with stiffer soled boots, but I was liking the stability they gave my feet as I hiked the trail near my house with a weighted pack on. As with any new boot, the first few hikes can feel foreign to your feet. This was true with the Elites as well. They do require a pretty significant break-in period. I was getting a pressure point/hot spot on the inside heel of my right foot (had it with other boots as well). After a phone call or two with Stephen discussing different options and potential causes of the hot spot, we decided to try a small heel lift in that boot. With a combination of the boot getting broke-in and the heel lift under the Synergy Footbed, we were able to curb the issue.

^^^^I took this directly from the review article. I am going through this exact same thing and just got off the phone with them. The heel lift is what they suggested. Glad to see it was a fix. I want these boots to work, hoping it helps. Also neglected the sock liner on my last hike with them. Sweaty feet dont help the situation either.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

Update on the boots. I still have them, however I been wearing my zamblerlans lately. I just haven't had a hunt wear I needed that stiff of a boot. As for this upcoming season, I will probably be wearing my zamblerlans for the most part, just don't have any hunts lined up that I'll need the lathrop and sons boot for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

Update on the boots. I still have them, however I been wearing my zamblerlans lately. I just haven't had a hunt wear I needed that stiff of a boot. As for this upcoming season, I will probably be wearing my zamblerlans for the most part, just don't have any hunts lined up that I'll need the lathrop and sons boot for

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there,

Update on the boots. I still have them, however I been wearing my zamblerlans lately. I just haven't had a hunt wear I needed that stiff of a boot. As for this upcoming season, I will probably be wearing my zamblerlans for the most part, just don't have any hunts lined up that I'll need the lathrop and sons boot for

What type of terrain do you think they are a good boot for? Just curious

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
What type of terrain do you think they are a good boot for? Just curious

For me personally, I would say like super rocky and steep stuff. But take that with a grain of salt because I would hunt in my trail running shoes if they had the support needed with a heavy pack.

wyodan

WKR
Hi there,

Brock,

What are you using for Zamberlans? Just as a comparison point.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the boots back. Wearing them at the office and testing them out scouting tomorrow. Ill report back.

bward34

FNG
I know this tread is super old but was curious is Brock was still wearing these boots today. Or if he has moved to a different brand.

wildcat33

WKR
Just speaking for myself, I’ve had both these boots, the 960 is a lighter and more “streamlined” boot. Ever slightly more flex in the shank. An equally good, if not better boot for way less coin.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I ask why the change. I have been looking at getting into a pair. My Hanwag Makra have been kicking my butt.

The zamberlans just worked better for me in the long run. I do a lot of upland bird hunting and the leather boot was nice for that in the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The zamberlans just worked better for me in the long run. I do a lot of upland bird hunting and the leather boot was nice for that in the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My L&S mountain hunter elites started leaking terribly this year to the point where I was put in a bad spot on one hunt so I am done with them. Looking at new boots and stumbled onto this...Brock do you feel like the fit of the zamberlain 960 is similar to the L&S boots? How does the stiffness compare for an early season high country boot chasing deer and elk?