Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System and Boot TBD Review! By Tony Trietch

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System and Boot TBD Review! By Tony Trietch

how is the stiffness compared to Triango cubes or the Thor's?

It’s stiffer than both. The Trango is closer but the Thor is much more flexible.
Slides on like a slipper though. Very comfortable so far. Should get a couple solid hikes in this week yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Following, as I'm on the search for new boots. Biggest initial concern is I won't get them in time to put some miles on before the season.

Tony, Have you worn the Trangos? The heel shape of the Mtn. Hunter and the curve in the footprint look almost exactly like a Trango. If you are familiar, how is the comparison? I've worn out a couple pair of Trangos and need new boots. I was hoping to find a low-volume interior (I need a last like the Trango) with a wider base on the outside of the heel to decrease the pounds/sq in. I'm not a fan of the tread pattern--its just like the Trango--at the toe and heel. The area at the toe and heel without cleats doesn't grab, which can be important when those are the only contact points on steep terrain.

Tony, Have you worn the Trangos? The heel shape of the Mtn. Hunter and the curve in the footprint look almost exactly like a Trango. If you are familiar, how is the comparison? I've worn out a couple pair of Trangos and need new boots. I was hoping to find a low-volume interior (I need a last like the Trango) with a wider base on the outside of the heel to decrease the pounds/sq in. I'm not a fan of the tread pattern--its just like the Trango--at the toe and heel. The area at the toe and heel without cleats doesn't grab, which can be important when those are the only contact points on steep terrain.

I have the Trango Cubes and the Mountain hunter elite so I can help with this question...

For me on the trango cubes I had to order up a 1/2 size and probably could’ve gone up a full size. In both 11’s and the 11.5’s the heel felt great, it was the toe box on me that is narrow and tight.

The mountain hunter elites fit me like a glove and has a much roomier toe box in a size 11. The heel feels probably very similar in both boots. The difference to me is the toe box, not the heel.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

I have had 4 pair of Trango Alp and Cubes in the past three years. I don't think the L&S MT HUNTER is as low volume as the La Sportiva but Stephen might have tweaked my MT Hunters to fit my wide forefoot...
I have never had the toe section of the Trangos "not grip" in steep or rocky terrain. They have been my fall back boot even though I test a new pair every year. .
I like the feel of these MT Hunters so far.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have the Trango Cubes and the Mountain hunter elite so I can help with this question...

For me on the trango cubes I had to order up a 1/2 size and probably could’ve gone up a full size. In both 11’s and the 11.5’s the heel felt great, it was the toe box on me that is narrow and tight.

The mountain hunter elites fit me like a glove and has a much roomier toe box in a size 11. The heel feels probably very similar in both boots. The difference to me is the toe box, not the heel.

Agreed on the similar feeling heel and toe room. I wear a 44.5 in both.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Following, as I'm on the search for new boots. Biggest initial concern is I won't get them in time to put some miles on before the season.

David, I will stop by and let you check them out when I get to NV in late July if you scout my deer tag for me this summer......I drew an early archery tag!

JK of course, I will be there at least a week early to crawl around and find mr. bucky.

David, I will stop by and let you check them out when I get to NV in late July if you scout my deer tag for me this summer......I drew an early archery tag!

JK of course, I will be there at least a week early to crawl around and find mr. bucky.

Good luck! Which area?

My Trangos have both been EVO's, not Cubes or Alps. I'll do some research on the lasts used for those models. Agree that the toe box on the Trango is narrow. Don't appreciate that either. Love the heel fit for me. Never had a blister; never need to break them in. The Cube and the Tower seem to have replaced the EVO. Any experience with the Tower?

Given that boot fit is a very individual issue, is the additional cost of the Mt. Hunter worth the difference? Tony, you don't need to answer if you get your test boots for free or your answer would impact your promotional relationships.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You nailed it. Boot fit is incredibly individual.

What I’ll tell you is that so far, I’ve been impressed enough with the L&S system that I paid for my lady to get it too.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
3e04fb1a641b09c6771645c968e49dee.jpg

Spent some more time in the boots with weight in the pack. The custom foot mapping system is the real deal guys. These are a heavy duty, robust mountain boot and my foot fits in like they were molded to my foot.
After talking with the guys at Lathrop & Sons again today I have a better understanding of how they customize them to the map they have of your foot.
a4408db5a86cfa40f22b01b7fe989cf4.jpg

I like the custom foot mapping system so much I paid for my girlfriend to get it on her feet.

Dwnorton1

FNG
You are exactly right about it being worth the money. For years I had been wearing size 14 boots. Just thought going downhill was going to result in sore toes. After working with Stephen and James at L&S, turns out I need a 16 in mountain boots(to allow room for toes not to be destroyed on descents) and 15 for just general purpose. I went with the Lowa, took 7months to get my boots. Apparently they only make my size like two weeks a year. Their foot-beds are awesome too. Great outfit to work with. Old time service. Do yourself a favor, give them a call.

fishslap

WKR
I’m through the mapping and consultation part and just waiting on my Mountain Hunters. I used to wear a 13 in most boots but have been wearing a 14 in lowa renegades and rangers, with the rangers a little bigger than the renegades. L&S recommended a 12.5 for the hunters.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Would love to hear what the fit process went like and what boot was selected for your lady friend.

Her foot is a bit tougher to fit, it’s super narrow. The boot is a Scarpa but off hand I don’t recall the model. Unless she joins me on a hunt, she probably won’t be hiking much so it’s stalled out now. I’ll report back when I get home and we start back hiking.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
It’s stiffer than both. The Trango is closer but the Thor is much more flexible.
Slides on like a slipper though. Very comfortable so far. Should get a couple solid hikes in this week yet.

Tony,

I'm looking for summer scouting and archery boots, would you recommend the thor gtx over the L&S?
For elk, we are hunting in steep nasty blowdown type of terrain and we tend to move alot. i'm used to wearing trail runners(Altra Load Peaks) but i need more support for sidehilling, my feet are generally in great shape from trail running but i'm finding offtrail bushwacking is another ball game

L&S seem nicer for later season and/or packouts. I still need to try on the crispi thor gtx but from the reviews I've seen, thanks for yours, they seem great for the type of hunting we are doing.

Thanks m

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony,

I'm looking for summer scouting and archery boots, would you recommend the thor gtx over the L&S?
For elk, we are hunting in steep nasty blowdown type of terrain and we tend to move alot. i'm used to wearing trail runners(Altra Load Peaks) but i need more support for sidehilling, my feet are generally in great shape from trail running but i'm finding offtrail bushwacking is another ball game

L&S seem nicer for later season and/or packouts. I still need to try on the crispi thor gtx but from the reviews I've seen, thanks for yours, they seem great for the type of hunting we are doing.

Thanks m

It all depends on what you are lookin for. The Thor is super light with not nearly the support and the L&S has all the support you can ask for but weighs more. If you have messed up feet or have a hard time getting a good fit then the L&S are a no brainer, those guys know how to make a boot fit like it was molde to your foot.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I’m coming from trail running mids so anything will be more supportive. I’m trying out asolo fugitive gtx in wide and see how that goes thanks

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The L&S boots performed great for me the past three months and really don’t show much wear. These are tough boots that’ll last.
The fit is as good as it gets for me, the custom mapping system is legit.
bfdaef814068fbb056ca341b46f2f351.jpg

0cbe3123f9d9670b7072ac978d9d3c49.jpg

I used them in hot August weather in CO and snow in Wyoming. Pretty versatile boot with plenty of support for heavy pack outs.