Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System and Boot TBD Review! By Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
OK Roksliders, I have to put a warning here at the beginning of this......YOU WILL SEE PICS OF MY FEET! Just kidding, sorta.

I was asked if I'd like to do a review of the Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System and whatever boot they determine is best for my feet and hunting style, of course I said YES!

After a quick talk with Stephen Lathrop (who is a big mature whitetail killer), he had the Custom kit on the way. Follow along as I go through the process....if you want to see my construction worker/mountain hiker feet!

This is what it starts as. These imprints along with detailed pics of particular parts of the feet get the ball rolling.

*** Update 8/6*** Tony's review is live! Check it out here.

DSC01189.jpg
DSC01210.jpg
DSC01217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The second phase of the Custom fit boot process is a phone consultation with Lathrop & Sons.

One of the guys at Lathrop & Sons called and made an appointment for Stephen to call and talk feet.
He asked all kinds of questions about your my history, including things I had forgot all about. He asked what had happened to my right foot behind my big toe (he had a medical name for the bone, I forgot it) and I had to take off my socks and look at my feet to remember what was wrong with that spot... I had dropped a scuba diving belt weight on it when I was 18. The bone has always been slightly enlarged since then and Stephen noticed it from the drawings and pics. Stephen takes the time to notice every detail of your feet!

We talked about all the boots in the past that worked well and the ones that didn't work well and why.
We talked about what footbeds I've used and the shape of my feet.
We talked about any and all blisters or hot spots that I have got in the past.
We talked hiking and hunting styles.
We talked about how many miles I cover and how fast I do it.
We talked about what my typical day pack weighs and what my typical max pack out weighs.
We talked hunting areas and terrain.
We talked about just about everything you could imagine that had anything to do with my feet and some you wouldn't think of.

This is a very in depth conversation that took us over and hour (some deer hunting stories exchanged added to the time). They get a very good idea of what you need and what will work for the boot recommendation and what the will need to do to ensure a good fit.

Stephen suggested the L&S Mountain Hunter with Synergy foot bed customized to my super high arch.

I will report back when I get them!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
cb21fdb9e89c70a1bf3175ead2b49e2e.jpg

Stay tuned, break in is starting this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just went over the initial fit of the boot with Stephen over the phone. This is part of the Custom Fit System, they want to talk to you before you just slap on the boots and head out for a ruck.
My boots feel great to me and all the answers I had for Stephen were what he was looking for. The boots are sized the way he wanted around my foot and the modifications they did to the boot and or footbed seem to be perfect so far.

My plan is for an easy week of break in with low weights in the pack and then bump in up to 35-45lbs for my summer training hikes, that's where I like to keep the weight training. I will get plenty 80-120lbs loads come fall and I do not train that heavy to much any more.

I am hoping to get in the Mts scouting depending on where I draw in CO, I will let you know!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System and Boot TBD Review! By Tony Trietch

So you ordered a month ago?
I ordered on Jan 9 and still don't have my boots.

No, not a month ago. This has been in the works for a while. Which ones you order?
The Mountain Hunter Elite?
Mine are the Mountain Hunter.

Yes the elites.
They have been very responsive.
And boots have been terrible for me in general the last couple years.
The cost was really high so I just hope there as good as they say.
Shed hunting is over so my break in time will be nill.
I'm still trying to be open minded.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Yes the elites.
They have been very responsive.
And boots have been terrible for me in general the last couple years.
The cost was really high so I just hope there as good as they say.
Shed hunting is over so my break in time will be nill.
I'm still trying to be open minded.

That stinks BRtreedogs. I’m sure they’re doing everything they can to get them out to you and everyone else that ordered.
As far as break in, you might have to get creative and figure out a way to get some miles on them before you start hunting.

Yeah not sure if it was just certain sizes?
And its def not there fault it's the manufacturer.

I mean I train in the summer, but nothing like the miles of piles shed hunting.
I have the Danners I ended shed season with so I can try switching back and forth lol.
Just not sure how many days they got left.

Good to here the mods you guys discussed seemed to work good for ya.
I'm used to a super stiff boots as I was running lowas.
I just have some lumpy heals I have to tape every where I go.

Lol could have bought alot of tape tho.