Scarpa Charmoz

Benjblt

WKR
Curious if anyone has had experience with these? I'm open to any comments and thoughts on experience with these. I've tried some on and they are stiff so I know that. Are they durable? I've been looking at synthetic boots a lot and would like to find some. Ideally I would like to get something less stiff than the Charmoz but I really like what this boot has to offer at their price point. One thing I've noticed is that Scarpa has gone from Gore Tex to Outdry. Any one know why that is? I know fundamentally what the difference is but curious if Outdry is a more effective waterproofing layer. Mostly I'm interested in whether or not it is more waterproof but breath-ability matters as well.

I really like the light and less rigid (Kuiu) Scarpa R-Evolution Trek but I don't like the lacing system when it comes to locking in heal. In contrast, I do like the how the Charmoz has the lace lock at the heal. I also like the idea of Cordura options like the Crispi Wyoming but I didn't think this boot fit my foot particularly well.

msummer88

FNG
From what I could tell they use OutDry on that boot. The Rebel pro and most others still use Gortex.

I went and tried the Charmoz the other day and was actually very impressed with them. I’m trying to decide if I’m going to go with those or the Rebel Pros. I’m looking for a boot that can use in all weather. The Charmoz isn’t insulated but the Rebel pro is. But I can’t find any info on how much insulation is in them. If it’s under 400 grams I’ll probably go with Rebel pros.

Outdry is better then goretex.

Goretex is basically a bootie in side your boot. So when your boot wets out you basically have water inside your boot between bootie and boot shell.

Out dry is seamless. Think of it as a a balloon being blown up inside your boot, before linings etc. it bonds to the inside of the shell fabric/leather.

Schnees/Gronell also uses outdry. I had a pair of 8 year old Gronells(non schnees) that had been re-soled I think 3x times and still waterproof. Leather finally split out this year.

It’s a superior WPB product for gloves and boots

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

Goretex is basically a bootie in side your boot. So when your boot wets out you basically have water inside your boot between bootie and boot shell.

Out dry is seamless. Think of it as a a balloon being blown up inside your boot, before linings etc. it bonds to the inside of the shell fabric/leather.

Schnees/Gronell also uses outdry. I had a pair of 8 year old Gronells(non schnees) that had been re-soled I think 3x times and still waterproof. Leather finally split out this year.

That was my impression, that OD was better than GTX. GTX just seems to be hit or miss on it's ability to provide reliable performanc.

msummer88

FNG
So I just got my Charmoz boots the other day. Backcountry.com and Moosejaw are having a sales right now on them FYI.

I've been wearing them around the house and they are pretty comfortable. This is my first pair of a real stiff boot and from what I understand these may require a little more break in than normal boots. They fit my feet well for the most part. I have a park with a steep hill behind my house and I walk the hill with a pack for workouts and going up hill I get a lot of heel rub with them as of right now, that has been my only issue thus farr. Its a little concerning because I know I won't be able to go long with that kind of rub. I was wearing a light weight Fits sock and now I'm going to try a thicker wool sock, I'll primarily be wearing a thicker one on the hunts I go on anyway. I know the right sock can be very helpful. I don't know if heel rub can be worked out or if this boot just isn't going to work...will see.

wildcat33

WKR
Havent had the Charmoz, but they are nearly the same as the La Sportiva Trango, which I have used extensively. I would offer two opinions: They are made to be light and not going to be as durable as leather boot. Second; its a mountaineering boot. Its made for climbing snow and ice with crampons, which is why they are so damn stiff. IMO they are a poor choice in a hunting boot, unless you are headed out for a Kuiu photo shoot.

Stid2677

WKR
I bought a pair of the KUIU SCARPA CHARMOZ GTX, when they clearanced sold them. I bought a pair for a packraft sheep hunt that I planned on being in the water with. I wore them with paddle pants and they were in the water more than not. I was very impressed with the fit and durability. They dry fast and have proven to be very comfortable. I like them so much I bough another pair cheap from the classified here. I just returned from a packraft Kodiak bear hunt and again wore them both in and out of the water.

fsVjkhwh.jpg

35mFfNIh.jpg

Two years of use.

8GzaYl8h.jpg

ndbuck09

WKR
How do they do actually keeping water out?

I am in the process of sending in my La Sportiva Trango Cubes to Goretex for testing because they leak terribly through the lower tongue.

Note that they also changed the last from the gtx pro model to the new model with outdry. They used to be a fairly roomy fit and now are a more technical lower volume fit. I had the previous version and they tore my heels up bad, the heel pocket just wasn't deep enough. New ones felt a bit better in the store but i could tell there would still be heel issues. Everything else about them felt great.

msummer88

FNG
I just went through two different sizes of the Charmoz and they just completely chew at the back of my heels. Returned both! Walking around the house, flat ground, or down hill they feel great. The second I start walking up any decent incline it just completely digs at my heels. Pretty much unbearable. I liked the fit and everything else though. Maybe the back of my heel protrudes out to much for these boots.

ianpadron

WKR

I sent back a pair of Uninsulated Schnee's Granites a couple weeks back with OutDry. Sent them back for an eyelet issue, but I was not impressed with the OutDry membrane AT ALL. A day of hiking in 60 degree weather left the boots soaked inside. I wanted to test the ability of them to dry so I took out the insoles when I got home and they were still wet inside 3 days later.

I'm not buying the whole OutDry boot thing. I was initially super stoked but I have never had that issue with GTX lined boots. They typically dry overnight when sweaty.

ianpadron

WKR
I wanted my Charmoz to work in the worst way because of how light they are. I beat them up pretty hard trying to "break them in" last year but was still getting awful blisters more than 40 miles into their life... so I sold 'em to a guy who thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, go figure.

Just didn't work for my feet. I did like the build quality and found their soles to be exceptionally grippy. Never had a drop of water make it into the boot and they dried significantly faster than any leather boot I've owned when sweaty inside. The lacing system was pretty solid as well.

I did notice that the boot is VERY stiff and feels a bit flat if that makes sense. Some boots, like Crispis and Kenetreks have a very noticeable built in rocker to help pound out the flat miles, and the Scarpas did not appear to have any such thing. My knees would tend to agree.

I have since moved to the Crispi Nevada upon the recommendation of one of my good buddies, and I'll tell you what, I doubt a more perfect uninsulated boot exists for my foot. Comfy straight out of the box, true to size, supportive but not overly stiff, and super light for a full leather mountain boot.

msummer88

FNG
I wanted my Charmoz to work in the worst way because of how light they are. I beat them up pretty hard trying to "break them in" last year but was still getting awful blisters more than 40 miles into their life... so I sold 'em to a guy who thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, go figure.

Just didn't work for my feet. I did like the build quality and found their soles to be exceptionally grippy. Never had a drop of water make it into the boot and they dried significantly faster than any leather boot I've owned when sweaty inside. The lacing system was pretty solid as well.

I did notice that the boot is VERY stiff and feels a bit flat if that makes sense. Some boots, like Crispis and Kenetreks have a very noticeable built in rocker to help pound out the flat miles, and the Scarpas did not appear to have any such thing. My knees would tend to agree.

I have since moved to the Crispi Nevada upon the recommendation of one of my good buddies, and I'll tell you what, I doubt a more perfect uninsulated boot exists for my foot. Comfy straight out of the box, true to size, supportive but not overly stiff, and super light for a full leather mountain boot.

I was super upset about the Charmoz. I really was hoping they would have worked. Instead I got the Briksdal's SF today and they seem to be much better. I do still feel a little bit of heel rub but I'm not sure its a real problem. I still think I have a little PTSD from the pain of those Charmoz after walking up a hill 50 yards so maybe I'm being overly sensitive. Trying to find the right, stiff, mountain boot has been a pain in the ass.

ianpadron

WKR
I was super upset about the Charmoz. I really was hoping they would have worked. Instead I got the Briksdal's SF today and they seem to be much better. I do still feel a little bit of heel rub but I'm not sure its a real problem. I still think I have a little PTSD from the pain of those Charmoz after walking up a hill 50 yards so maybe I'm being overly sensitive. Trying to find the right, stiff, mountain boot has been a pain in the ass.
I hear ya dude. I shredded both heels and both pinky toes on the hike into a September hunt last year. Hunted for 5 days with my boots unlaced, socks doubled over, and athletic tape over the blisters.

No bueno.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk