Scarpa Kinesis Pro

Oldffemt

WKR
Checked another boot off the list. They look very well made. Felt great when I first put them on so I hit the indoor track with a 40lb pack and, uh-oh. Got a weird pain in the ball of my right foot behind my 2nd and 3rd toes. About half of the outside of my foot actually ended up falling asleep (or going numb) So because I’m a glutton for punishment, I adjusted and retied and hit the stairs with the pack on and on my 3rd trip up, hot spots on both heals. Took them off adjusted and retied. Back up the stairs, blisters, on both heals. Again, these look like awesome boots, if they fit your feet, but I’m concerned about weather I will be able to return them if I try to break them in any more. I think I’m going to try Crispi or Schnee’s next.

HeadnWest

WKR
Check out Salewa Mounatin Trainers, or Rapace. I tried out boots from Scarpa, Garmont, and LaSportiva before I discovered Salewa. They are a bit more roomier then the other boots I tried and just fit my foot really well. They also offer free shipping and free returns. So you can try out their boots for 30 days, inside only, then ship them back if they just don't work for you.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve never owned boots of this quality even though I used to hike over 30 miles a week. I feel like the stiffness of the shank is what is causing the heel slip. Is there just a point you get to where you say screw it, duct tape the crap out of your heels and push through till you either break the boots in or develop caluses tougher than the boot leather? I’ve worn danners and asolos in the past and never had any issues. That being said, the older I get the more I need to protect my feet and ankles due to old injuries.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
If you otherwise like them, maybe try a pair of Scarpa Zanskars. I got a pair from an online dealer that was awesome. Got to talk with them and ordered a couple sizes to see which felt better and then sent one back. I planned to get a pair of the ones you have to compare, but they went off sale at the time... I’ve been very happy with the Zanskars so far. They’re a very interesting mix of feeling light with a good combo of stiff but still flexible soles. I did a lot of wearing them around town at first and everything felt good. Did a 6 mile hike in them (nothing crazy as far as terrain) and was very pleasantly surprised. Zero hot spots for me and no heel slip on inclines. The sole is robust enough that I didn’t feel every contour when on some rocky stuff but they flex just enough to allow walking on level ground without any noticeable issue. If you’re don’t fit you/cause that much pain and discomfort, I’d be inclined to try adjusting to something that’ll work better. Hope you get something worked out-I know everyone has different feet.

Jeremy

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I just got these today and it’s obvious that they are a high quality boot. Gudspier, your description is pretty accurate for these boots and when I first put them on I was pretty sure I had a winner. They felt great, like a light hiker only more robust. But when I put weight on I started to notice the issues pretty quick. I would deal with the blisters as I’m sure they will go away after a break in period but the other foot pain? Never experienced anything like that before and I’m not sure it would go away for me.
FYI the sizing seems right on for me, the only knock I have with the construction is I wish the first 2 sets of hooks were roller bearings so you could get your heel locked in better. it felt like I would break the laces before they got tight in that area.