Lightweight boots & heavy packs

It has been my experience (thus far) that the lighter boots are not friendly to feet when you've gotta 50-100lb pack on your back. I end up wearing my 8" Danner Pronghorns most of the time but am not seeing the same quality in the newer generation models and my Meindl Douvres are like wearing bricks in comparison but ideal for sharp, jagged rock-on-rock terrain that eats most boots. I've been looking at the SCARPA style boots but they just don't look like they would handle a heavy load well. Am I wrong? Is there a lightweight boot that can haul 100lbs? Now the really hard part...is there one that comes in a very wide size? I end up buying 10 or 10.5 EE or EEE. I'm part duck.

hqdefault.jpg

Trial153

WKR
I think you need to define what light weight is per pair before anyone can give a recommendation. There are plenty of boots in the 3 to 4 pound range are stiff enough to handle a load. If your looking at sub three pound boots then you going to start looking at each pair/ model individually because there is going quite a range of variation.

Depends what you mean by Scarpa style boots. They make everything from light hiking to full on mountaineering boots. Any of which likely have more support than danner pronghorns.

With the lower top Scarpas, I still think they offer better support than pronghorns but there is something to be said about a higher top and requiring less calf and ankle muscle to stabilize.

Beendare

WKR
My 60 yr old feet are pretty screwed up. I've had torn achilles, PF , bunions...you get the idea.

I asked a podiatrist a few years ago, "Is there anything I could have done different?"[...well besides jamming my big toes while playing hoop and then playing on it] preventative type stuff....though I already know what works for me now.

She told me I would have been better off with a stiffer boot and a good fitting orthotic. These maintain a solid base with the right contours. "But what about the barefoot runners and the 'Toes' shoes?" I asked. Her short answer was something like running on a sandy beach is good for your feet....but no support on hard ground is bad. You can damage your feet just like anything else....so toes shoes on rocky and hard trails or paved ground is a no-no in her book.

Personally The old Pronghorns I had from Rocky 20 yrs ago were garbage....now maybe they have changed them. I use day hikers a fair amount but on long hikes my feet definitely feel better at the end of the day with a stiffer boot/good insole. Now I can't wear the super stiff or plastic boots as those jack with my knees and hips. I do think a guy wearing hikers that are comfortable on light stuff needs to change footwear for the rougher stuff....and anytime using a pack. I like a semi stiff boot but with a little flex in the forefoot...but everyones different.

100# loads??......Really?

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
The Zamberlan Leopard and Lynx are mid to light weight, have sufficient ankle and foot support for carrying 100+ pound loads, and come in wide widths.

I've been using a Lynx for a while, and think it's about the perfect boot for elk hunting.

Zamberlan 1013 Leopard GTX - Camouflage Hunting & Tactical Boots

Zamberlan 1014 Lynx Mid GTX - Camouflage Hunting Boots Made in Italy

How wide are their wide sizes? Most D sizes aren't sufficient for my duck feet. I wear a 9.5EEE and usually end up but a size 10 or 10.5 boot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My 60 yr old feet are pretty screwed up. I've had torn achilles, PF , bunions...you get the idea.

I asked a podiatrist a few years ago, "Is there anything I could have done different?"[...well besides jamming my big toes while playing hoop and then playing on it] preventative type stuff....though I already know what works for me now.

She told me I would have been better off with a stiffer boot and a good fitting orthotic. These maintain a solid base with the right contours. "But what about the barefoot runners and the 'Toes' shoes?" I asked. Her short answer was something like running on a sandy beach is good for your feet....but no support on hard ground is bad. You can damage your feet just like anything else....so toes shoes on rocky and hard trails or paved ground is a no-no in her book.

Personally The old Pronghorns I had from Rocky 20 yrs ago were garbage....now maybe they have changed them. I use day hikers a fair amount but on long hikes my feet definitely feel better at the end of the day with a stiffer boot/good insole. Now I can't wear the super stiff or plastic boots as those jack with my knees and hips. I do think a guy wearing hikers that are comfortable on light stuff needs to change footwear for the rougher stuff....and anytime using a pack. I like a semi stiff boot but with a little flex in the forefoot...but everyones different.

100# loads??......Really?

She also makes her living prescribing custom insoles....

Our feet work fine on all kinds of ground if they are built up properly and strong. We evolved/adapted to walk and carry things long distances without support. Cultures that still wear minimal to no shoes do not have any of the chronic foot, ankle, knee, and lower back problems that we do.

As for 100 pound loads with minimal shoes... no problem.

She also makes her living prescribing custom insoles....

Our feet work fine on all kinds of ground if they are built up properly and strong. We evolved/adapted to walk and carry things long distances without support. Cultures that still wear minimal to no shoes do not have any of the chronic foot, ankle, knee, and lower back problems that we do.

As for 100 pound loads with minimal shoes... no problem.

Some truth there, but not entirely. Most of the people that do stuff like that daily are also quite small and have much shorter life expectancies. A guy who decides he’s going to train for 6 months and be ok because they can do it is not the same.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love hunting in lightweight boots, but I don't love packing loads out with them- especially with any side hilling- I've found a boot that is almost lightweight, but hauls 75-ish lbs without any fuss- it's the LaSportiva Omega's; as near as I can tell they seem to be similar to the Trango TRK only leather- about 2.5- 3.0 lbs a pair

I think there are quite a few boots in this "light mountaineering" boot category that should be suitable for heavier loads without too much weight on your feet

I have always worn a stiff boot and this year I got the Solomon Mid X Ultras as they are a really light weight option. Although they are extremely comfortable, I am not sure if they will work for my feet once I got a 50 lbs pack on in the mountains. I have done some training in them, with no pack on, and when I side hill the shoes just do not support my foot like i'm used to. I really want this light weight option to work, but I think i'm gonna have to go back to a stiffer boot.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the SCARPA style boots but they just don't look like they would handle a heavy load well. Am I wrong? Is there a lightweight boot that can haul 100lbs?

Lots of guys running the Scarpa's with no issues. I have lots of miles on my Scarpa Rebel GTX's with upwards of 65lbs in the mountains. I haven't had any issues so far. Ask me in mid August how I feel. Well, that's if I get the chance to pack a sheep out with them.