Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX Gore Tex Question

.50 CAL

FNG
I'm looking at buying a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots, but in my research I've heard a lot of complaints about Salomon's Gore Tex membrane only lasting ~50 miles. Is this true for everything in the Salomon shoe/boots line? Or just specific to certain models like only in the tail running shoes? Sounds like these and the Lowa Renegade GTX are some of the more popular boot choices in the 200 dollar range. Are there any other suggestions at that price point?

Thanks!

Last edited:

HeadnWest

WKR
My suggestion would be to bump your prince point up a $100 and buy boots that will last you 3 -4 seasons instead of 1 or 2.

That being said you can find good deals on boots from Sierra trading post or Amazon if you wait for them. There is a really nice boot I like, Scarpa Revolution Plus GTX, they retail for $279, but you can find them on sale through amazon if you wait for around $200. Check out Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com this website will tell you when a certain item, like boots go on sale. You can even set your price point and it will send you an email when your boots reach your desired price.

Good Luck!

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran salomons quests for a while now, they are an awesome lightweight boot, I always make sure I buy at rei when they have a 20% off going on at least. And yes its hit or miss on the waterproofing. I've had pair last a few seasons, others not even a season. Just got the Gen 3 quests and haven't tried them yet. But as HeadnWst Stated - if you do have the extra few bucks to spare spend it and get a more rigid boot that will last you a few season the least. I myself have just fallen a fan of the quests but plan on spending some more money on a pair that will last a few seasons.

I love my Salomon Quest 4D, in fact I bought another pair after trying the first ones out for a month. Blackovis (sponsor here) has a 20% special for Memorial day on everything, use code MEMORIAL-20. They carry lots of brand name boots. They also ship fast and free.

Last edited:
OP

.50 CAL

FNG
Sounds like the Salomon's are more hit and miss than I'd like given their price. Thanks for the replies. Those Scarpa's look nice, I will have to look into them.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't have to have waterproofing....they rock. Mine failed at the beginning of season 2. REI warrantied so that was good. Pouring water out of my boots really sucked. A lot. Drenched feet for 5 days.

That said, I really like the boots. Zero break in pain. Super comfy. Stiff enough and quiet. Just not waterproof for long. Dry conditions? Perfect.

HookUp

WKR
I love Solomans if water isnt an issue. No way would I trust them for stream crossing or rain. Its not a bad idea to keep an extra set of boots in the truck in case of failure. I have a new pair of Solomans and am thinking about hunting in them with my Scarpas in the truck 4 miles away as emergency back up.

Love my Salomons-- I have two pairs of the XA Pro 3D that I wear daily for work, a pair of the 4d GTXs (3rd season now) and a new pair of the XA Forces that I haven't worn yet. Extremely comfortable and light. My 4ds have lasted longer than my Lowa Zephyrs as well.

I have had two pair, the first ones leaked after about 50-60 miles. The are the 4d gtx. Solomon replaced them very quickly, great customer service! The pair I have now have a full season on them and they are great, no leaks. They are so comfortable that I had to get the other pair and not a refund! For serious cross-country or heavy loads or when the weather could be bad, Lowa Hunter GTX are phenomenal! I have had a pair now for the past 3 years and no issues at all. I had one pair before that that lasted 5 before I had to replace them. I only wore them hunting and no pavement. They are more expensive, but bullet proof. The Solomons I love for their comfort and lighter weight and stability for what they are, especially with aggressively hunting in the West!

I have had two pair, the first ones leaked after about 50-60 miles. The are the 4d gtx. Solomon replaced them very quickly, great customer service! The pair I have now have a full season on them and they are great, no leaks. They are so comfortable that I had to get the other pair and not a refund! For serious cross-country or heavy loads or when the weather could be bad, Lowa Hunter GTX are phenomenal! I have had a pair now for the past 3 years and no issues at all. I had one pair before that that lasted 5 before I had to replace them. I only wore them hunting and no pavement. They are more expensive, but bullet proof. The Solomons I love for their comfort and lighter weight and stability for what they are, especially with aggressively hunting in the West!

What's the question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was responding to the original post and providing my experience with the boots he was inquiring about

Sorry, for some reason my phone only loaded your post so I was really confused and thought yours was the OP. I can see the whole thread now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

.50 CAL

FNG
Awesome input from everyone that posted, thank you! I mostly hunt from a trailer/truck/tent that I return to each night, so I guess if they do fail I always have several other options at camp I could use the next day. Now if I can get in on that Amazon sale when they have them for ~$130 I wouldn't be as hesitant to try a pair. I'm also considering the Crispi Summit from the Fathers Day Sale on Black Ovis.