Questions moving to a stiffer boot

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have been running the Crispi Idaho GTX for two years now and am starting to see the need to go to a stiffer boot. I am leaning toward the Scarpa Grand Dru GTX or similar. For those that have made the jump to a stiffer mountaineering boot or anyone with experience on the Scarpa Grand Dru, do you think it is too large a jump to go from a relatively flexible boot to something so stiff? Should I be looking at something more like the Charmoz? I like the ankle support of a slightly taller boot similar to the Crispi Idaho's. Foot size is an 11.5 or 12 if that makes any difference.

wapitibob

WKR
I went from renegades and quest 4d's to the cevedale pro then hanwag Alaska. A strip of gorilla tape down the heel for the first cpl days was all I needed. Footbed made a difference too because of boot volume and insert volume.

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Super feet have made a big difference in my Idaho’s as far as arch support and ground feel are concerned. I will probably have to get into a pair and just try them out, but the grand DRU are a pretty expensive test drive if I can’t get comfortable with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Couple years ago, went from the Lowa gtx hunter to the Grand Dru. At this point, any boots in the future will be a replacement pair, or the orange version that let's you use auto crampons..
When I broke a couple toes last January, those stiff boots turned into my comfy shoes, let me navigate rough terrain without putting any extra pressure on the toes.
Normal use, weekends and such, I have gotten to like them better for extended wear than any of the softer shoes I have. The only thing I would, maybe, wish for, is a bit of spring or cushioning in the heel..
No buyers regret, and I am a cheapskate..

All that being said, think with a stiff boot, like hockey skates, it all boils down to fit whether you are going to love them or hate em.
Not really much give for them to mold to your feet.
If that particular boot is a great fit, you will likely get used to a stiffer boot and everything that goes with it pretty quickly.
If they don't fit right, sooner or later yer gonna start to hate them..

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon your particular feet and what type of terrain you'll be hunting. I don't like super tall, stiff boots. The taller, stiffer, and heavier the boot the tougher it is to stalk quietly. I usually cover lots of country and the additional weight obviously takes it's toll on extended days and hunts. My Lowa Tibets are super comfortable and fantastic boots but I only wear them in deep snow because of their weight and stiffness.

My preference is a mid-weight hiker. The soles are thick enough to offer support on steep, rough slopes where you will be side-hilling it for miles and miles. There is plenty of ankle support for the same slopes while still offering freedom of movement (which isn't possible with tall boots). The soles are also thick enough to protect from sharp rock. I usually dump the insoles that come with my boots and add insoles with additional padding. I also wear socks with additional padding in the bottom of the feet.

In regard to models I've had great success with Scarpa and Lowas. I've used Scarpa Kailash for years but have converted to Lowas the past couple years because they come in medium and wide widths. I really like Lowa Vantage and Lowa Caminos. I used Lowa Renegades for a couple years. I would consider them light hikers. They don't offer much support on steep slopes and aren't near as rugged as the others mentioned above. They are light weight and comfortable though.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon your particular feet and what type of terrain you'll be hunting. I don't like super tall, stiff boots. The taller, stiffer, and heavier the boot the tougher it is to stalk quietly. I usually cover lots of country and the additional weight obviously takes it's toll on extended days and hunts. My Lowa Tibets are super comfortable and fantastic boots but I only wear them in deep snow because of their weight and stiffness.

My preference is a mid-weight hiker. The soles are thick enough to offer support on steep, rough slopes where you will be side-hilling it for miles and miles. There is plenty of ankle support for the same slopes while still offering freedom of movement (which isn't possible with tall boots). The soles are also thick enough to protect from sharp rock. I usually dump the insoles that come with my boots and add insoles with additional padding. I also wear socks with additional padding in the bottom of the feet.

In regard to models I've had great success with Scarpa and Lowas. I've used Scarpa Kailash for years but have converted to Lowas the past couple years because they come in medium and wide widths. I really like Lowa Vantage and Lowa Caminos. I used Lowa Renegades for a couple years. I would consider them light hikers. They don't offer much support on steep slopes and aren't near as rugged as the others mentioned above. They are light weight and comfortable though.