Trail Runner Recommendations

BKhunter

WKR
Anyone have any trail running sneaker recommendations? Was thinking of running a tough mudder and some spartan races and don't think a regular old sneak will cut it.

BK

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been really happy with my Hoka Speed goats. They take a little getting use to if you have not worn minimalist shoes before. The extra cushion really help the impact on my knees also keeps my foot from feeling all of the roots and rocks along the trail.

This is one of those instances of not over thinking it. I would suggest looking at it this way. If you are going to be trail running with MAYBE a tough mudder or spartan race then look into getting something that fits your foot, feels, good and matches the terrain you will mostly be running. In other words, don't buy something for the race only to do the majority of your running on dry and rocky trail. Any race will go a lot better if your shoes are broken in and comfortable to you. There is quite a bit of dry ground in both races. You can always add traction by other means, they just won't shed the mud as easily and shoes always wash up anyway.
However, if you are a dedicated trail runner and know you are going to run is such sloppy and muddy conditions then yes look at the Solomon Speed cross, INov8 and even the special edition merrell with the tough mudder branding.
For trail running, I have run Asics, Brooks, Hokas and Saucany... all with good results. I do think that most shoes with the extra big lugs are too much just for rocky terrain and the lugs wear off too easily especially in granite areas.

Lawnboi

WKR
Inov 8 makes great all round trial runners too. I don't use thier mud shoes but have used a handful of thier other shoes, all great. Inov 8 does traction right, and I like thier low drop/ stack height too.

Rokwiia

WKR
I love INOV-8 shoes and have the X-Talon along with the 295 (old), 318 GTX (old), 315 GTX and 325 GTX. The X-Talon form fit your foot and are sticky on the bottom which, along with the lugs, provide such incredible control with every step.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’m digging my altra lone peak mids for the short time I’ve been running in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the best way to start out, is to find something similar to your road shoe. Most of the big companies have fairly similar designs between their road and trail shoes, just more support and tread for the trail. That can make the transition easier. I have been in Hokas lately, and like them a lot. The cushion is nice. Altra has a huge following right now, but I can't do zero drop, as my calves are too tight. I would avoid the GTX mentioned previously. I ran a Warrior Dash in water proof shoes, and water can get in, but can not get out, and they are hot. The quicker the drainage the better. Even for just every day use, outside of running in snow. That being said, other Salomon trail shoes are awesome.