Boot Questions

I am planning an Elk hunt for first rifle in Colorado in mid October in unit 21. Unit 21 seems plenty rugged but is lower in elevation (4000'-8000'). This will be my first western hunt with a tag, but I plan to do one week long hunt for mulies or elk per yer or every other year if possible. I am dipping my toe in western hunting with this rifle hunt, but I am more likely to do archery hunts or early season rifle hunts from this point on in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana. I live in Texas, so I don't have a need for an insulated boot for the whitetail hunting I do here as, generally speaking, if it is too cold for uninsulated boots and a good pair of socks deer movement is pretty poor.

I wear a 10.5 wide. I also have very large calves, so taller boots tend to be a problem. I currently hunt in 6" Danner Pronghorns and they were adequate for my previous elk hunt where I hiked 25 miles in three days, but did not have to pack a bull out so I did not test them in those conditions.

I am looking for an 8" boot that is good for truck hunting (day hikes of not more than 4 miles out and back from camp) or maybe the occasional overnight spike camp and will provide support for packing out a bull.

Waterproof membrane is desirable, but not 100% necessary

I have done quite a bit of internet research and I am looking at the Crispi Wyoming and Dakota, Schnee's Outlook, Kenetrek Hardscrabble, and the Kenetrek Desert Guide, but I am open to suggestion.

I do know from past experience that Asolo's don't fit. I had a pair of Vasque's that I love, but they were purchased more than 20 years ago and am not sure of the current quality of this brand.

One problem is that none of these boots are available in retail locations in Texas to try on. The second problem is that the wide sizes are out of stock and I am beginning to get nervous in regards to break in before my hunt.

Am I looking at the correct boots for my needs? Are there value options that might be better as all of these are quite expensive? What boots would y'all recommend.

bsnedeker

WKR
I feel for you on this one as I live in Minnesota and the stores around here just do NOT stock mountaineering boots. I also upgraded my boots this year after spending a few western hunts in a pair of Irish Setters that worked fine from my perspective, but I also didn't pack anything out and I did have some lingering toe numbness after the hunt that took a couple of months to go away.

Here's what I did: I narrowed my choice down to the Crispy Nevada's and Kennetrek Hardscrabbles (wanted an all-leather, non-insulated boot). I was leaning towards the Crispy's so I ordered them from Black Ovis and IMMEDIATELY put them on and hit the treadmill to see how I liked the fit. I was lucky and LOVED them out of the box, but if I hadn't BO has a 30 day return policy on boots as long as you don't wear them outside. If I didn't like them I would have shipped them back to BO and tried the Kennetreks.

It's not a perfect solution and maybe it worked for me because I got lucky and/or have feet that aren't very picky! You will want to get on this ASAP in order to have time to break them in properly as you know...good luck to you!

CorbLand

WKR
Most boot companies have a decent return policy that will allow for you to try them on inside for a couple days and decide.

The best boot for your situation is the one that fits you properly. All the companies that you mentioned are all good, quality boots that will work for what you need. Find the pair that fits and you will be golden. I would also suggest looking into Zamberlin.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the feedback so far. I would just throw another boot out there and that is the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. Very similar in look and function to the hardscrabble, but not as rough on the pocket book. Reminder to order a half size big on any boot you decide on.

wildcat33

WKR
Why not just take the danner's you already have?

For new, sounds like you are on the right track. All depends what fits your feet. No easy answer to whats best. I'll second taking a look at Zamberlan, they have some good wide options, like the Vioz. Crispi has a good reputation. So does Schnees.

OP
E
I agree with the feedback so far. I would just throw another boot out there and that is the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. Very similar in look and function to the hardscrabble, but not as rough on the pocket book. Reminder to order a half size big on any boot you decide on.

Why order a half size big?

I have run my regular size with sock liners and wool hiking socks in the past with no trouble. I plan to remove the insole and replace with superfeet insole or some other for additional arch support. You think I should run a half size big for that?

I don't want to be sliding around in the boots.

Why order a half size big?

I have run my regular size with sock liners and wool hiking socks in the past with no trouble. I plan to remove the insole and replace with superfeet insole or some other for additional arch support. You think I should run a half size big for that?

I don't want to be sliding around in the boots.

Although this sounds like a simple question, there is a lot to unpack here.

First, the point of space in your boot is so you get proper circulation and flexion. Without this, your foot will not only ache and be affected by cold, it will (over time) cause your foot muscle to atrophy. Imagine if I told you I as going to cut 75% of your blood flow to your biceps 18hours per day.....

Second, going up or down in size is going to be based on 3 very important considerations BEFORE you even try a boot on. The first is your (measured with correct shoe and boot sizing tool) Foots actual length (they may each be different), the second is your foots actual width (paying special attention to how your toes lay out), and the third is your break point.

Third, insoles are used to help increase airflow, increase heat, increase/decrease cushion, provide arch support if collapsed arch is a known condition, and raise or improve heal cup. A couple quick notes on this.... If someone tells you to put these in your boot to take up volume, or to wear multiple socks to help take up volume, or to add an extra heel support to take up volume..... they are idiots and should be ignored. If you went in to get new tires on your truck, would you let them put 3 tires that are the correct size and 1 tire that is to big? HELL NO! FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

Fourth, sliding around can be fixed if ALL the above are addressed. There are special lacing techniques that allow lots of pressure where needed without tons in places you don't want it.

Lets say you DONT have a left and right foot size difference (most do). Lets say you DONT have wide feet. Lets say as an example, that your feet measure to a 10 (actual) and you have a break point of 10.2. Request boots that are 10's and 10.5's. BEFORE YOU EVEN PUT YOUR FOOT IN THEM, pull out the insoles for the left and the right foot. Place your foot on it. You will see right away where you will have hot spots, rub points, and if the boot is actually to big for you. Based on the insoles, choose the boots that have between 1-2 #2 (pencil width) lengths of space between your longest toe and the end of the insole. Once you find those boots, then take your favorite insoles (for those who need help for collapsed arch or extra cushion) and place them in those boots and lace them with the thickest sock you will really ever wear with them. If you cannot freely wiggle your toes, if you have any spots that rub, and if you have any slop, or your to high in the heel and have spots, start tweaking. If you CANNOT resolve those issues before you leave the store, YOU WONT. You will simply just build up callouses to poorly fitting shoes.

The human body is an amazing thing and we adapt to ANYTHING. But Adaptation does not = Strength. Don't sell your self short and dont just deal with what shoes you have access to. The internet is an amazing thing.