“Wearing In” vs. “Breaking In” a boot

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the vid last night. For me, i dont like a lot of pressure at the top of my foot just below the ankle. Ive yet to try leaning forward a bit like he showed mostly due to a blister i developed during a hike over the weekend. Thats gotta heal first.

Ive had the heels remolded/shaped and that has helped a good bit. Normal walking around and turkey hunting hasnt bothered my heel at all. After this blister heals, im gonna tape up with lekotape and take another hike. I certainly hope i can "wear them in".

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know Grunt after you try it. I don’t have any new boots to try it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
I have kinda subconsciously always laced my boots that way(leaning knee forward)

Most good modern boots in the right size dont really need any wear in period I dont think, if they dont fit right at the start it generally only gets worse haha

Older style full leather boots can be pretty tough and I have always done the wet boot method. either fill em with water or do a short walk up a creek so they are wet. softens the leather and wears them in faster.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pair of Lowa Camino's with about 10 miles on them I'll lace like this and report. The last time I put em on was exactly like he said with 60# pack and going on a hike though haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been known to wear new boots all summer on the golf course for break-in or wear-in. Sure, you'll get a bunch of funny looks but from my experience it keeps me from trying to over-swing and I make better ball contact, which translates into good distance and better accuracy. I've never had boot or foot issues on the mountain.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I've been known to wear new boots all summer on the golf course for break-in or wear-in. Sure, you'll get a bunch of funny looks but from my experience it keeps me from trying to over-swing and I make better ball contact, which translates into good distance and better accuracy. I've never had boot or foot issues on the mountain.

Thats fantastic! I wore some light hikers and borrowed clubs when I had a spur of the moment invite a few days ago. Played well and I'm guessing it was similar to your reasoning haha

msummer88

FNG
I picked up my Crispi Briksdal SF's today and I'll try this out.

I haven't bought a new pair of boots for a while, my Meindls lasted me like 6 years but my feet have definitely changed and its time for something new. Obviously I've been looking to get a stiffer boot as you can tell by my choice. I tried the Scarpa Charmoz and got some insane heel rub and returned them immediately, that sucked because I liked those damn things. These Briksdal's seem to be better but they are for sure more flexible than the Charmoz, not sure if I like that yet or not. I'm getting a small feeling of heel rub on a incline but I'm not sure if its bad enough to be concerned about.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm at work today in my new Lowa Caminos, with a lacing system of more loose on the toes and with my knee bent when I laced the upper hooks. I'm happy with how they feel, and think it is a smart way to go to give your foot and ankles more natural movement through the wear in process.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know Grunt after you try it. I don’t have any new boots to try it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the blister healed and ive been wearing the boots most days to work and have done a couple hikes.
Have had my heel taped and havent had any problems. Leukotape is the bomb. Love it. I used it 2yrs ago with differnt pair of boots and no blisters.

My issue right now is with the lack of waterproofness. Even when drenched with Grangers, it doesnt do the job like obenaufs has done with my other boots. Its disappointing to say the least. Having bought the boots used, ive got nothing to loose and plan on using the obenaufs. It has never affected the rand on my Meindls and they have never leaked.

FlyGuy

WKR
Grunt-N-Gobble,

Not sure what boots you are running, but the boot wax from Kenetrek has worked very well on my Mtn Extremes. I'll never make another hunt without it again. I apply it 2-3 times a year now and I've never had a problem. This product won't affect the rand at all.

KENETREK BOOT WAX-Kenetrek Boots

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Grunt-N-Gobble,

Not sure what boots you are running, but the boot wax from Kenetrek has worked very well on my Mtn Extremes. I'll never make another hunt without it again. I apply it 2-3 times a year now and I've never had a problem. This product won't affect the rand at all.

KENETREK BOOT WAX-Kenetrek Boots

Ive got the L&S Mountain Hunter Elites. I actually use the obenaufs on them this evening. This stuff has worked well on my other boots and hasnt affected the rand at all. I know others have claimed to have rand seperation issues, but i havent experienced any of that. Maybe after my obenaufs runs out, ill try the kenetrek wax.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Update on my wear in. I did almost 20 miles in Rocky Mountain Nat Park last week with a light pack, and 5 here in NC over the weekend with 60# and I think they are there. Haven't had issues. I think the lacing mentioned is critical for early on. It will really establish where creases form.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
So the blister healed and ive been wearing the boots most days to work and have done a couple hikes.
Have had my heel taped and havent had any problems. Leukotape is the bomb. Love it. I used it 2yrs ago with differnt pair of boots and no blisters.

My issue right now is with the lack of waterproofness. Even when drenched with Grangers, it doesnt do the job like obenaufs has done with my other boots. Its disappointing to say the least. Having bought the boots used, ive got nothing to loose and plan on using the obenaufs. It has never affected the rand on my Meindls and they have never leaked.

So a little update:
Leukotape has continued to prevent any more blisters from forming. Nothing after hiking some steeper terrain the past few weeks or the general hikes around town.

The obenaufs has done a great job at preventing a leak. At first my only tests were walking in tall, wet grass early in the mornings. However, just yesterday I crossed through a stream, twice, that was ankle deep with the water flowing up over the boots. No water penetrated the fabric or leather. And yes...... the leather is darker from the obenaufs, but I'll take function over looks.

I'm really starting to enjoy these boots now.