Best Boot under $250? Danner, Schnee, etc?

CoElkMan

FNG
So I've never owned a "hunting boot", but have had many great hiking boots and I'm wondering if it's best to go with a "hunting boot" or a mountain hiking boot from a company I've used before (Vasque). I'm looking for a great boot under $250. Schnee and Danner have a lot of supportive fans, but I'd like to hear it from the forum and am open to suggestions.

Schnee has their Outlook at a hundred off: https://schnees.com/outlook/
Banner 453 are one's i hear good things about.

Big game Western hunting in the mountains.

Owenst7

WKR
So I've never owned a "hunting boot", but have had many great hiking boots and I'm wondering if it's best to go with a "hunting boot" or a mountain hiking boot from a company I've used before (Vasque). I'm looking for a great boot under $250. Schnee and Danner have a lot of supportive fans, but I'd like to hear it from the forum and am open to suggestions.

Schnee has their Outlook at a hundred off: https://schnees.com/outlook/
Banner 453 are one's i hear good things about.

Big game Western hunting in the mountains.

I'm particularly fond of that Tsavo sole on my Beartooths (and the granites I order yesterday). If I didn't have my Beartooths, I'd likely get a pair of those outlooks for Chukar hunting. I've found it to be decent on slippery rocks in cold creeks while still holding up to lava rock in the hot summer for scouting and Chukar hunting. I've got about 200 miles on my Beartooths and suspect I'll get another ~150 or so before I get them resoled.

Boots are very personal for fit, and Schnees fit me very well. I'm also very fond of the fact that they resole them themselves, and you can call them up and likely Curt will answer the phone. He's the guy that designs their boots and is frequently the guy on his knees fitting people in the store. That's an unusual business model that I have a great deal of respect for.

You'll mostly find synthetic boots in that price range, and they are typically more flexible and forgiving on fit. That can be good for some feet, but you'll likely sacrifice some durability. One thing to watch out for is lots of stitching. They can present failure points in the outer, and sometimes present abrasion points for the waterproof bootie. That's a common reason that cheaper boots will "lose" their waterproofing before the boot wears out. If built properly, that bootie is watertight at manufacture, but with flexing it can be abraded through and cause leaks.

I've seen some full leather Asolos and similar brands at STP and REI on sale in your price range. They seem to sacrifice a lot on interior construction and fit to meet that price point, but if they fit your foot, they'd probably be a good upgrade in durability and support over most synthetic boots.

My advice to you would be to bump your budget a bit and get the Beartooth mids (that's what I have) for the rubber rand and stiffness. I've had plantar fasciitis in the past from roofing for years with unsupportive shoes, and the Beartooths are about as flexible as I'd want to go for heavy packouts in the mountains. I use them all summer backpacking with a 20 lbs pack, so they aren't so stiff as to be clunky to hike 20 mile days in. I prefer the mid height for summer because of temps, but I ordered granites for the extra height crossing creeks in the winter. I also wanted a bit more stiffness for climbing in the winter when kicking footholds, but there have been times I really needed crampons. The insulated Beartooths would be plenty if I were only using them for elk hunting.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I use mid weight hikers on 95% of my hunts. It's nice having support for steep, rocky slopes, and a little more flexibility than tall, stiff boots, It's also easier to stalk quieter in lighter boots with soles that aren't super thick. Some of my favorites are Lowa Vantage and Caminos. I've also used and abused a few pairs of Scarpas (Kailash). The Lowas come in medium and wide so that helps with sizing. I always buy around 1 size larger so I can add padded insoles and also different weight socks for different conditions. I generally wear lighter socks and cinch them up a little tighter in warm weather and let out the laces for a little heavier sock in cold weather. All my socks have a little extra padding in the bottoms.

The only time I use full height heavier hikers is in winter to help keep snow out with a little better protection against snow and cold. My go to winter boot is Lowa Tibets. They would work great for other seasons but are a bit stiffer and heavier than mid weight boots. I really don't need that much support....but everyone is a little different.

HeadnWest

WKR
I don't think you are missing anything, by not purchasing hunting boots. My personal preference would be to stick with a hiking boot or light mountaineering boot. Here are my two best pics for under $250

Salewa Men's MTN Trainer Mid GTX Boot - Moosejaw

Amazon.com | SCARPA Men's R-Evolution Plus GTX Hiking Boot | Hiking Boots
• these are listed at $279, but regularly go on sale for around $215.

If you order the Salewa's direct, there is free shipping and free returns. There is also free returns on the Scarpa Revolutions from Amazon. This gives you a chance to try each boot on for free.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
If you catch a sale or a code, I just got $300 Lowa Caminos from shoes.com for under 250. Very happy with them so far, but still breaking them in.

WRO

WKR
La sportiva trango cube GTX

Plus there's a 10% off coupon and free shipping, you can't do any better than this imho at your price range.

Access Denied

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
I'm partial to the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunter. They are priced at $300, but get some $100 Cabelas gift cards on ebay for $80 from SVM giftcards and you are at $240. The Meindls are more of a rifle/later season boot, but mine have held up well.

Sierra Trading Post sells Asolo for pennies on the dollar. I've worn nothing but those boots for 15 years. I have no doubt that "hunting boots" can be great but for the life of me I'll never get it. I just looked and they have a "hunter" Asolo for $199 that look great. Heavy rubber around the toes and full leather upper. The downside to the Asolo is you cant resole them. But with the deep discounts on STP i can handle that.

bwlacy

WKR
I don't know about any of those except the Danners. I've had a pair of Danner Elk Ridge boots since 2012. This will be the 6th season on them and haven't had any complaints. They have been all over the place. Colorado elk hunting, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, and Michigan deer hunting. They have been great.

But I don't know if they make them anymore or if they would be under $250 now. They were then.

WRO

WKR
La sportiva trango cube GTX

Plus there's a 10% off coupon and free shipping, you can't do any better than this imho at your price range.

Access Denied

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That link is to backcountry.com..

My favorite hunting boots aren't made by "hunting boot companies"..