Early season boots needed. Crispy Idaho's? Hoffman Explorer?

I'm in serious need of some new early season boots. Conditions could range from the steepest of hell holes in the back country to wheat fields. I have been wearing a pair of Lowas that I purchased used on here a few yrs ago and they are literally trashed. They worked ok, but I know there is something better. I also like at least a 8" boot but prefer 10. Any recommendations on the 2 or others?

I have been happy with my Idaho’s. I probably have under 100 miles on them last year but so far so good. I have a wide forefoot with narrow heal. 13w fits well with a pair of super feet and a good sock. No issues or complaints once I found the right size.

I also bought a pair of Thor’s. Low top. Lighter. Stiff sole but less of a supportive upper. After a week stomping around Yellowstone, these will Ben on my feet for the first part of bow season.

I had a set of Idaho’s, but have since gone a different route. I’m in terrain that ranges from mild to wild and the same goes for seasonal weather.

Pro
Great traction
Loves the memory foam and lacing.
Comfortable out of the box

Con
Expensive to re-sole
Heavy considering its features
Hot! **
Cordura ***
Sizing in the upper range is not great
Factory insole=junk

** These are going to make your feet drip. Crispi will tell you that this boot is = to having 200g insulation. For me this was an issue. For some, not so much.

*** can be good as it won’t stretch, but that’s a double edge sword. Also once it had bacteria impregnated in the cordura, that’s forever. The build means you’ll be able to do very little to customize this boot to your foot.

kipper09

WKR
I have been wearing Hoffman explorers and have to say I’m pretty impressed. They are pretty stiff but light for what they are. The 8” explorer is a 10” boot to me. It’s a pretty tall top. Time will tell how they hold up but for now im really happy. Even considering buying the shorter pair to go with them. Can’t have too many boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mxracer532
I had a set of Idaho’s, but have since gone a different route. I’m in terrain that ranges from mild to wild and the same goes for seasonal weather.

Pro
Great traction
Loves the memory foam and lacing.
Comfortable out of the box

Con
Expensive to re-sole
Heavy considering its features
Hot! **
Cordura ***
Sizing in the upper range is not great
Factory insole=junk

** These are going to make your feet drip. Crispi will tell you that this boot is = to having 200g insulation. For me this was an issue. For some, not so much.

*** can be good as it won’t stretch, but that’s a double edge sword. Also once it had bacteria impregnated in the cordura, that’s forever. The build means you’ll be able to do very little to customize this boot to your foot.

Damnit, I was hoping for the opposite as far as warmth. I don't want a hot boot.

Damnit, I was hoping for the opposite as far as warmth. I don't want a hot boot.

Well if it makes any difference, I have always run warm enough that a thick sock and waterproof boot in winter is plenty warm for typical Sierra weather. But it doesn’t get below 15 here often enough. When I elk hunted in Utah it was -5 and I wore keen’s with a Smartwool mountaineer sock.

Maybe they won’t run so hot for you. And cordura is more breathable than leather....

Also another interesting point. The day I got the Idaho, a crispi rep was at the store teaching the employees about the boots. I heard him say that Gore-Tex does not function unless the external temperature and internal temperature have more than a 10* difference and that threshold begins just below 60*. Now if this is true, that Idaho would be great up to 60* but considering the area I’m in is well above that for 1/2 the year, I’m still sol.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have been wearing Hoffman explorers and have to say I’m pretty impressed. They are pretty stiff but light for what they are. The 8” explorer is a 10” boot to me. It’s a pretty tall top. Time will tell how they hold up but for now im really happy. Even considering buying the shorter pair to go with them. Can’t have too many boots

How’s the ankle support? I’m interested in a pair of these but know almost nothing about them. I need a taker boot due to an injury.

I put at least 250 miles on my Idaho's between last May and November. Probably closer to 300.

I'm a heel walker, so the traction is definitely disappearing in the rear, and is worn down good throughout the boot. The rubber rand has cracked on the outside of each boot. The cordura section of the boot (above rubber rand) seems to have expanded and lost some of the rigidity. I found socks that helped with keeping heats to a minimum. I can't count how many streams I had to cross last September and October, so that probably took it's toll as well.

I tested these out pretty well last year, and ultimately need a stiffer boot.

I put at least 250 miles on my Idaho's between last May and November. Probably closer to 300.

I'm a heel walker, so the traction is definitely disappearing in the rear, and is worn down good throughout the boot. The rubber rand has cracked on the outside of each boot. The cordura section of the boot (above rubber rand) seems to have expanded and lost some of the rigidity. I found socks that helped with keeping heats to a minimum. I can't count how many streams I had to cross last September and October, so that probably took it's toll as well.

I tested these out pretty well last year, and ultimately need a stiffer boot.

What socks did you like ?

Will you buy a different boot?

What insoles did you guys use for your boots? I finally got to try on a pair of crispis and the insole felt rough.

What insoles did you guys use for your boots? I finally got to try on a pair of crispis and the insole felt rough.

I ran Superfeet green in the Idaho and ke mountain extremes. Green for volume. On really long trips I’ll run Superfeet orange in my ke’s

kipper09

WKR
How’s the ankle support? I’m interested in a pair of these but know almost nothing about them. I need a taker boot due to an injury.

They are pretty tall. Support is good. I think they are comparable to the kenetrek as far as support goes.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider

Pro
Great traction - I agree 100%
Loves the memory foam and lacing. -I agree 100%
Comfortable out of the box - I agree 100%

Con
Expensive to re-sole - Not sure what you mean. A re-sole through the Crispi Authorized re-soler is $60-65 for just the outsole. Full re-sole with mid-sole is typically around $100. The turn-around time is typically about a week or less. Kenetrek for example usually charges between $175-$200 and you could be without your boots for a month or more. Just stating facts directly from Crispi and the Re-Soler.

Heavy considering its features - Compared to which boot? There isn't another boot I'm aware of with the same features to compare the Idaho to... It's definitely lighter than a full leather boot with the same features. (Polyurethane midsole, Gore Tex, A.B.S.S, etc).

Hot! ** -I personally wouldn't call the Idaho "hot" compared to similar boots that have a Gore-Tex or waterproof liner. It definitely breathes better than a full leather non-insulated boot with Gore-Tex but the only way a boot could be cooler would be to eliminate the Gore-Tex liner. Unfortunately "we can't have our cake and eat it" because most users want a waterproof boot and thus you will lose some breath-ability in return for having a boot that is waterproof. I've worn this boot in 100 plus degree temperatures and yes it will feel hot. Any Gore-Tex boot I've ever worn has made my feet hot when in temps over 80 degrees.
Cordura***

Sizing in the upper range is not great - I'm curious on what exactly you mean by this as well. I can communicate any concerns to Crispi but need more specifics.

Factory insole=junk - Most "Factory" insoles are not great by any stretch of the imagination. Premium insoles are expensive and boots are as well. $370 dollars for a pair of Idaho's compared to $420ish if they included say a Super Feet Green insole.

** These are going to make your feet drip. Crispi will tell you that this boot is = to having 200g insulation. For me this was an issue. For some, not so much. - Again, I'm not sure who at Crispi would tell you the Idaho has insulation qualities at all. It has a Gore-Tex full bootie/liner which does not have the Duratherm/Comfort lining the Insulated model's have which is equivalent to 200g of insulation. You can consult Crispi directly if you disagree.

*** can be good as it won’t stretch, but that’s a double edge sword. Also once it had bacteria impregnated in the cordura, that’s forever. The build means you’ll be able to do very little to customize this boot to your foot. - I agree that the Cordura is great in the fact that it does not stretch or shrink. Double-edge sword? How do you customize your boots to your feet without major cost? At that point maybe a true custom boot would be best for you. Most users don't require more than a different insole to get the Idaho's to fit them perfectly. The Idaho may not work for every single user but what boot does?

Comments in green.
Please don't spread false/misleading/blanket statement type information as it helps no one. Thanks

Comments in green.
Please don't spread false/misleading/blanket statement type information as it helps no one. Thanks

Apparently when you type long replies, they time out….. so Ill retype mine here.

Dear Black Ovis,

Thanks for agreeing to my pro list. But telling me that Im making false/blanket/misleading statements then doing exactly that yourself, is hypocritical. Ive answered all your questions and in many cases rebutted your comments on my original statements. Please take the time to read them as I did yours.

Expensive to re-sole : Explained
Thank you for providing actual pricing. But saying that $100 to re-sole these boots is not expensive seems like your telling me and everyone else what money is worth to us. Don't make blanket statements or assume you know my financial position. Also I am basing ALL of my statements on what these boots did for ME. I never said these statements are for EVERYONE. Relaying your personal experience to better supply data to the collective audience is how forums work. Welcome.

Does your price quoted include shipping? If it does, $100 for a $360 boot (no counting tax) to be resoled is similar in ratio to that of other companies, maybe a little less, maybe more, but close to the normal cost to do this. But how long does Crispi guarantee these boots both the boot itself and the sole, will last? Id love to know that, because my opinion is based on how long these will last me and the cost of ownership to ME. If crispi wants to guarantee that If I burn out these in a year, that they will at no cost to me replace, then I will change my mind on cost of ownership and Ill enjoy my new boots that will last me a lifetime and at a bargain of only $360. When you provide that data, maybe then we can compare cost of ownership. Also my specific situation is not the same as everyone else, so please compare only my situation otherwise your guilty of that blanket and misleading statement thing…..

Heavy:
Apples to Apples. And again, for ME this boot is heavy considering the features. The features is what Crispi felt was best for sales and this boot. Does that mean that ALL users will fall in love with every feature and require them on all boots in the future? No. What that means is that a guy like me might enjoy the super traction outsole but the abss system did nothing to outweigh the weight for me. Again FOR ME. So I compare what this cost me to buy, and to get to work for me, and I look at the other boots at that dollar amount…. For ME its Heavy. Id prefer different features but if Crispi made the boot for me its a custom and thats not what we are discussing here. How does this boot compare to any other boot spec for spec when not all boots have the same features. So again, for ME this boot and its features made a recipe of a heavy boot…..

Hot:
You personally wont call it hot, but I did and so your saying thats a blanket false statement. So in this case your saying ALL people must agree with you. Your body is the barometer in which we will measure all things. Its funny that you literally restated what I did in post #6, but at like its you making the point not me and that I am in disagreement with you. I agree it breathes better than leather, so does a pair of tennis shoes. Again, my post talks about this boot being HOT for MY situation despite the cordura and build design.

Sizing:
Does Crispi make boots in the 14 wide, 15, 15 wide, etc? Yes or NO? I called them and if they did but no longer do, and you have a pair, let me know! Compare that to companies like Rocky and Kenetrek and even Keen that do offer extended sizes. Again, not saying this is a negative, merely a consideration for those with that need.

Factory Insoles Are Junk:
Are you agreeing with me? And also if you are, $420 for a set of Idaho’s with insoles puts them in a class of +$400 boots that may change how some people look at them for the better or worse. What other cordura boots run $420 with Superfeet and how do they stack up to this boot? Thats the question the buyer will need to research. For ME, this boot had promise but fell short based on my very specific needs and use. But last time I checked, footwear is very specific and most people cant be lumped in to one big bucket.

Make your feet Drip:
You agree with me in this post, then say I should call Crispi if I disagree? You must of had a long day at work. These made my feet drip sweat as do most gore lined boots during hot summer temps. So Ill just assume your misreading this and move on.

Stretch, Good/Bad:
You agree with me, and want clarification. But then you take my double edge point and explain exactly what that means and then ask what I mean by it? Again, long day at work right? For the price these run with insoles, your darn close to custom boots. Are you saying that at your company you would suggest someone pay $400+ for boots that wont ever fit right? Also saying “most users” puts you in the boat of blanket statements. Last time I spoke with a shoe company or a shoe sales man, they always say buy insoles and almost everyone I know feels thats a good statement. Is that wrong? Are the factory soles good enough and people who think otherwise are wrong? if not, then are those of us who see Kenetreks, and Russel mocs running $400+ but custom or close to it crazy? Should we get a built for one size person boot and just deal with it? I haven’t seen that advice from a shoe shop before….

Now last time I checked customer service for Black Ovis was highly rated, but you jumping on this forum attacking a single person who made statements about their experience, saying Im false or blanket then doing the same thing yourself and not recognizing my post as simply a testimonial is BS. You use testimonials to sell your products but apparently you dont like it when they are about brands that you may prefer or maybe get more money to push?

Your customer service may be great but your tact is lacking. If you would like to continue this, PM me and we can have a civil debate. Maybe, that would even help you better understand my position and give you the ability to earn a customer by providing me the elusive perfect boot that has been hard to find. Maybe you wont, but at the very least, take a long look at what was written and consider your responses and how you think a company that sells boots should actually respond to questions like this……