On the search for a boot, again.

Kotaman

WKR
I’d be surprised if the Scarpas would work for you. Typical narrow Europeon toe box. Lowas work for my wide forefoot. I really like Lowa Bighorns.

OP
David Gough
Thanks all. I'm pretty sure the Scarpas are too narrow for my foot, as mine are definitely wider than average. Maybe I'll have to look into the Beartooths. I'll have to call Schnees to see if someone in town carries them.

Owenst7

WKR
Thanks all. I'm pretty sure the Scarpas are too narrow for my foot, as mine are definitely wider than average. Maybe I'll have to look into the Beartooths. I'll have to call Schnees to see if someone in town carries them.

The only ones you're going to find here in town are Kenetrek (Sportsman's) or Meindle (Cabela's). I'm not sure what Scheels carries. Sierra Trading Post carries a random variety of climbing brands, mostly Asolo. Can't remember what REI has.

I've got a pair of Beartooths and a pair of Granites you can look at if you want.

I'm pretty sure Schnee's are only sold in their store in downtown Bozeman. Curt does make it to sheep show with a bunch of boots if you wait until January.

OP
David Gough
The only ones you're going to find here in town are Kenetrek (Sportsman's) or Meindle (Cabela's). I'm not sure what Scheels carries. Sierra Trading Post carries a random variety of climbing brands, mostly Asolo. Can't remember what REI has.

I've got a pair of Beartooths and a pair of Granites you can look at if you want.

I'm pretty sure Schnee's are only sold in their store in downtown Bozeman. Curt does make it to sheep show with a bunch of boots if you wait until January.

Scheels carries Crispi. Thanks for the offer. I just need to spend some time trying on a ton of different boots.

danarnold

WKR
I was really liking my Crispi’s until the rand dry rotted, I like my lowas pretty good, but my Ktrek mountain extremes are my favorite as of now, non insulated.
Also Darn Tough socks only, either cushion or full cushion depending on the boot

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I have found all leather boots make my feet feel like they are in a sauna. Maybe I'm not using the right boot and sock combination....

I read a guys post recently talking about the importance/value of having a little room in your boot. Maybe the right merino sock and a half size bigger would make a non-insulated leather boot work for you. I can't remember the post but it was within the last couple weeks and it was a guy looking for his next pair of boots as well.

OP
David Gough
I read a guys post recently talking about the importance/value of having a little room in your boot. Maybe the right merino sock and a half size bigger would make a non-insulated leather boot work for you. I can't remember the post but it was within the last couple weeks and it was a guy looking for his next pair of boots as well.

Thanks. Yes, I might need to step up from 11.5 to 12

ndbuck09

WKR
Ill second Darn Tough socks. I used to use smartwool and but after long days there's a huge difference for me when simply using darn toughs when it comes to foot rubbing and how a sock deals with sweat. Sometimes I get forced to test this when all my darn tough's are dirty and I have to put on the older smart wools. The smart wools just dont hold their shape and stay tight on the foot.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa GTX Caminos and Darn Tough socks have been great so far.
Have sweaty feet as well.

R

PNW22

FNG
I am kinda in the same boat, except I got the Valdres, and they just don't give the rigidity that you need with weight on your back in the western backcountry. I know they just started making boots with a very stiff sole, the Briksdal SF GTX. I am not sure how they compare, cause I have never tried on a stiff Crispi boot, but I did try on the Charmoz today and it was MY cinderella slipper. They make them in 1/3 sizes as opposed to half sizes which greatly improves accurate fitting.

I am definitely planning on getting a pair, as they truly are a lightweight, stiff soled, mountaineering boot.

OP
David Gough
I ended up with the Kennetrek mountain extremes uninsulated size 13EE. Not sure why I ever thought 11.5EE was the correct size for my foot or how I ever hiked so many miles in those shoes. On the road to recovery, I guess. I may never be a one boot man but I think these are a great pick for me.

Thanks for all of the guidance everyone. I do want to try the new Lathrop and Sons. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
OP
David Gough
Figured I'd post an update for those interested. After 50+ miles and wearing them nearly everyday to work the boots are feeling great! My foot pain is minimal these days with or without shoes on. The only times my feet are exceptionally hot is when I'm hiking in 90+ degree heat and the boots are constantly in the sun. Otherwise, the Kennetreks have been quite good to me. Next test, hunting season!

If you have a Tecnica dealer thats at reasonable distance you will want to try the new Forges. I have a high arch, high in-steep, and need a fairly wide toe area. Finding boots that are comfortable has been a lifelong struggle. The heat molded Tecnica’s are amazing, getting a boot custom fit to your foot has been amazing. I have tried so many boots Ive lost track, none are close to these, and the comfort starts from day one, pretty rare from a boot with this much support and rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG775

FNG
I have wide flat feet also. I’ve been really happy with my Lowa bighorns. I’m trying a pair of garmonts for something lighter this year