On the search for a boot, again.

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short. My Crispi Idaho's aren't cutting it. Might have done some damage to my feet packing out my bull last September in them. I have wide, flat feet and need a stiff boot. I tried on the Crispi Briksdals last night and they felt good, but weren't wide enough. Crispi answered my email this morning, and they won't be coming out with a wide size until 2019 at the earliest.

My feet get hot, so I've stayed away from Kennetrek and the like. That being said, I have two tags in the Jarbidge and one of them goes until November. Hiking through the snow is a very good possibility this year (and most).

I've wanted to give the Scarpa Charmoz a try, but I can't find anywhere to try them on in my area and every other European brand I've tried on has been too narrow.

To recap, I'm looking for a stiff, wide, somewhat breathable and somewhat water resistant, boot. Am I asking too much? Do I need two boots? If you've been in this situation before, is giving up the breathability worth it?

bsnedeker

WKR
Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short. My Crispi Idaho's aren't cutting it. Might have done some damage to my feet packing out my bull last September in them. I have wide, flat feet and need a stiff boot. I tried on the Crispi Briksdals last night and they felt good, but weren't wide enough. Crispi answered my email this morning, and they won't be coming out with a wide size until 2019 at the earliest.

My feet get hot, so I've stayed away from Kennetrek and the like. That being said, I have two tags in the Jarbidge and one of them goes until November. Hiking through the snow is a very good possibility this year (and most).

I've wanted to give the Scarpa Charmoz a try, but I can't find anywhere to try them on in my area and every other European brand I've tried on has been too narrow.

To recap, I'm looking for a stiff, wide, somewhat breathable and somewhat water resistant, boot. Am I asking too much? Do I need two boots? If you've been in this situation before, is giving up the breathability worth it?

Is it common knowledge that Kennetrek's run hot/don't breath well? Do you not care for all-leather boots? I'm just curious because I prefer all leather boots and don't find breath-ability to be a problem, but my feet don't sweat extensively so maybe that's why I prefer them. I really liked the Kennetrek Mountain Extremes Uninsulated boots that I tried on, I just don't care for 10" boots so I went with the Crispy Nevada's.

OP
David Gough
Is it common knowledge that Kennetrek's run hot/don't breath well? Do you not care for all-leather boots? I'm just curious because I prefer all leather boots and don't find breath-ability to be a problem, but my feet don't sweat extensively so maybe that's why I prefer them. I really liked the Kennetrek Mountain Extremes Uninsulated boots that I tried on, I just don't care for 10" boots so I went with the Crispy Nevada's.

I have found all leather boots make my feet feel like they are in a sauna. Maybe I'm not using the right boot and sock combination....

OP
David Gough
Also looking at the Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter Elites, but from what I've heard I may not get them until after hunting season...

HeadnWest

WKR
I would suggest the Salewa Rapace. A little over 3 lbs, stiff, but not too stiff. They are not as narrow as most European boots. Might not be as wide as you are looking for, but would be worth a try. If you order then direct from Salewa USA, they have free shipping and free returns so at least you can try them on and walk around the house with them for a few days.

Hi all,

If you don't mind what's the problem you found with the crispis? Were they just not stiff or wide enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
I've only owned them for 13 months and they have lost the rigidity, flex and ABSS. I've already burned through a lot of the tread. Rubber rand is cracking. I own the wide 11.5's.

I think it's also a part of learning your feet. I need a stiffer boot.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
You tried Lowa's? Known to be wide. Look at the Mountain Expert GTX. Stiff, winter use, and breathability.

For what it is worth I had the Lowa Tibets in a 10.5W and they weren't wide enough. The Crispi Nevada's in a wide fit better.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scarpa, most comfortable boot with no break in I have worn. You can order from Kuiu, try on and send back if you don’t like them or the fit is to narrow.

I've only owned them for 13 months and they have lost the rigidity, flex and ABSS. I've already burned through a lot of the tread. Rubber rand is cracking. I own the wide 11.5's.

I think it's also a part of learning your feet. I need a stiffer boot.

Honestly the rand on those mtn exp GTX didn't last as long as I wanted it to but everything else on that boot held up great. Going into my 3rd year with them. I can put some pics up if you want to see wear and tear.

OP
David Gough
I would suggest the Salewa Rapace. A little over 3 lbs, stiff, but not too stiff. They are not as narrow as most European boots. Might not be as wide as you are looking for, but would be worth a try. If you order then direct from Salewa USA, they have free shipping and free returns so at least you can try them on and walk around the house with them for a few days.

Thanks! I'll look into them.

OP
David Gough
If you don't mind what's the problem you found with the crispis? Were they just not stiff or wide enough?

The Idaho's aren't stiff, not that Crispi advertised them to be. I have the wides, so they are wide enough.

Owenst7

WKR
Have fun in Jarbidge. I have three tags out there this year. Love that area.

I'm also in Reno. I have two pairs of schnees (Beartooths and granites) if you want to look at them in person, although they sound like more boot than you're looking for. I have hot feet also, but ordered a pair of 200 gram insulated granites after my October hunt in Jarbidge last year. I use the Beartooths all summer scouting and for Chukar hunting, and intend to switch to the granites for big game season and climbing Rose in the winter.

I've got a friend here in town with scarpas that might be able to meet up if you want to look at them.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I felt like my Scarpa Charmoz were more narrow than a pair of La Sportiva Evo's I used for a bit(and still regret selling). The Charmoz and my feet didn't get along, ended up tearing up my pinky toes.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you can get a chance to try on the Hoffman Explorer Meindl Calk Boot - Hoffman Boots - For all your Boot Needs. Hoffman Boots I would definitely consider them. I picked up a pair this past spring and put them through the wringer climbing up and down the hills of Hells Canyon and nearby area's looking for sheds 10-15 miles per outing and absolutely loved them. I have an average width foot and the Explorers are a little wide for my feet, but I just tighten them up and away I go, so they might be good for yours.

HeadnWest

WKR
If you can get a chance to try on the Hoffman Explorer Meindl Calk Boot - Hoffman Boots - For all your Boot Needs. Hoffman Boots I would definitely consider them. I picked up a pair this past spring and put them through the wringer climbing up and down the hills of Hells Canyon and nearby area's looking for sheds 10-15 miles per outing and absolutely loved them. I have an average width foot and the Explorers are a little wide for my feet, but I just tighten them up and away I go, so they might be good for yours.

How heavy are those? I looked all over the website and can't find any weight specs. Looks like they would be 4 lbs + for the pair.

Have fun in Jarbidge. I have three tags out there this year. Love that area.

I'm also in Reno. I have two pairs of schnees (Beartooths and granites) if you want to look at them in person, although they sound like more boot than you're looking for. I have hot feet also, but ordered a pair of 200 gram insulated granites after my October hunt in Jarbidge last year. I use the Beartooths all summer scouting and for Chukar hunting, and intend to switch to the granites for big game season and climbing Rose in the winter.

I've got a friend here in town with scarpas that might be able to meet up if you want to look at them.

Lots of Reno guys with Jarbidge tags this year. I have the early season bull tag, ive been following this thread because im looking for some new boots as well. What happened in October last year that made you want 200 gram insulation?

Owenst7

WKR
Lots of Reno guys with Jarbidge tags this year. I have the early season bull tag, ive been following this thread because im looking for some new boots as well. What happened in October last year that made you want 200 gram insulation?

My feet were getting cold during morning glassing sessions. I would wake up around 3am, hike and be setup with my tripod waiting for sunrise. I think the cold feet had more to do with only sitting on my Ridgerest and poor circulation than uninsulated boots truthfully. The deciding point was climbing Mt. Rose in the snow several times this winter and being able to feel the cold snow through the boot. I figured a minimal amount of insulation would make me a bit more comfortable.

I got the Beartooth mids with the plan to use them for summer scouting trips, because I knew I wouldn't tolerate a full height boot when it was 100 degrees out. That has worked excellently for me after ~200 miles of backpacking. I was a bit jealous of my hunting buddies when crossing creeks during hunting season, as the extra height on their boots allowed them to walk right across streams where I had to do a precarious hopscotch manuever with a backpack full of elk. I had decided during that hunt that I wanted a pair of full height boots for hunting/winter season.

A few of the Mt. Rose summits I did in the winter had me wondering if I'd appreciate a slightly stiffer boot in the forefoot when I was kicking footholds in the snow. Several times I felt like we were flirting with conditions that warranted crampons (I take an off-trail route up the southeast face). Between the desired height, cold feet in the snow, and kicking footholds, I felt that a pair of 200 gram granites would be a good complement to my mid height Beartooths. I just got the Granites in the mail this week, but I'll likely be talking about them a lot after my hunts in October.