Keeping rand from coming apart

CO2130

WKR
So on full rand boots how are you guys keeping them from cracking and coming apart, if at all? I’m not sure why but it drives me crazy, I’ve got one used pair with some type of silicone around the top that has worked great but I have tried a ton of products and can’t seem to figure out what it is exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used Kenetrek Freesole. It is permanent, and what Kenetrek recommends. Also, use whatever waterproofing wax that is made by the company that made your boots. Some waterproofing dissolves the glue that holds the rand on and will cause delamination of the rand.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Freesole as noted if you wear them enough you will have to reapply but will save the rand

muddydogs

WKR
Buy a better boot as there is no reason a well made boot should have a problem with the rand cracking or separating. I myself think boots with a rand are a solution looking for a problem since a good leather boot has no need for a rand in the first place.

frankrb3

WKR
This doesn’t help if they’re already cracking and separating but keeping your boots away from camp fires and high heat will help prevent the rand from separating sooner. I spent a summer working in my kenetreks and almost every night our crew would have a campfire. Apparently that was the reason why my rand went to crap so fast according to the folks at kenetrek. I’ve since had them rebuilt but my rand is separating again, so I think it’s going to happen regardless because I have kept them away from fires this time around.

Lawnboi

WKR
On top of glueing I think treating your boots good plays a lot into how long the rand will last.

Proper cleaning, treating and storing out of any heat really helps any boot IMO.

I super glued my last rand in the one spot it started to separate, it held for 2 years before heading to the dumpster.

Kotaman

WKR
I use Freesole to repair rands, but the key is using the right stuff for cleaning based on the manufacturers recommendation to prevent what's preventable.

muddydogs

WKR
The best built hunting boots have rands so getting a better isn't an option

Most boots built for working in the woods don't have rands and I would have to say that if the "best built hunting boot's have rands" and the rands are cracking and falling apart then its time to look for a better boot. Get out of the "hunting" boot craze and get a good boot. Men and woman have been wearing boots in the woods for a very long time without rands and never knew they needed them until certain boot manufactures told them they did. I dare say that a Field Forester puts there boots through more in 6 months of field work then any hunting boot see's in 10 years and a good field boot will last 5 years or until the tread is about worn off before the uppers ever have a problem then they get resoled and run another 5 years. I have a pair of Redwing King Toe's that got worn every single day for the past 5 years and only need replaced because there slick at this point.

There are many good boot's out there at or below the price point of these so called "hunting boot's"

bmart2622

WKR
Nobody on this post was looking for advice on new boots, the OP was looking for suggestions on repairing the rand which comes on most high end hunting boots.

JP100

WKR
Most boots built for working in the woods don't have rands and I would have to say that if the "best built hunting boot's have rands" and the rands are cracking and falling apart then its time to look for a better boot. Get out of the "hunting" boot craze and get a good boot. Men and woman have been wearing boots in the woods for a very long time without rands and never knew they needed them until certain boot manufactures told them they did. I dare say that a Field Forester puts there boots through more in 6 months of field work then any hunting boot see's in 10 years and a good field boot will last 5 years or until the tread is about worn off before the uppers ever have a problem then they get resoled and run another 5 years. I have a pair of Redwing King Toe's that got worn every single day for the past 5 years and only need replaced because there slick at this point.

There are many good boot's out there at or below the price point of these so called "hunting boot's"
Rubber rands have been around for a long time, and nearly all top boot makers use them. Not 'hunting' brands. Real boot makers all over Europe.

But they do always seem to fail at some point or another.

I like the idea of old school stitched soled boots, but not many manufactures make then anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

snakelk

WKR
I used Freesole as well on my Lowa's, as did my buddy on his Kenetrek boots. My first attempt failed as I had already treated the leather, so the Freesole didn't stick well and began to come off in one week. Before treating the next time I cleaned the adjacent leather and rand the best I could, used masking tape, and reapplied all the way around the entire rand. We'll see how this holds up.

I prefer a boot with a rand or some sort of toe protection to prevent gashes in the leather from rocks. One season in our hunting area will chew up an uncovered toe on a leather boot.

20180225_220724.jpg20180225_220822.jpg20180225_220903.jpg

View attachment 74542View attachment 74543View attachment 74544

Last edited:

brocksw

WKR
G-flex

Use it on shoe soles, HIT inserts, ring bases, best epoxy I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have used freesole with great sucess on a pair of meindls that I had already oiled several times with obenoffs (i’m woke now, no need to tell me that stuff is crap) I just made sure to clean off the area with a stiff brush and some saddle soap, then with denatured alcohol. So far the free sole has survived an entire season and the only area that needs reapplication is where rocks have scraped it off.

I tried the 1500 marine epoxy route on another pair and it came apart after twenty miles, either I didn’t do it right or it isn’t flexible enough for leather.

I do think not all rands are created equal. The meindls I own have been tortured with zero separation (I only used free sole as a precaution after using obenoffs) while my lowas got a rip on the rand the very first day of wearing them. By the end of the day the rand started separating like a sweater unraveling. Ok maybe not that bad but I had a 1/3rd flap of rubber rand peeling of the toe from the first minor cut.
Freesole repaired it at least as good as new or -I suspect- better than new.

jspradley

WKR
Are you using mink oil? Apparently animal fats can cause deterioration of the rand... I know I jacked up my Meindls with it before I "got woke" as was stated above haha