Breathable mountain boots

I have been wearing my non-insulated Kenetrek mountain extreme pretty much everyday since I purchased them last October. Great boot, love everything about them - stiff sole, waterproof, comfortable and tough as nails. As we get into summer they are a bit hot for my liking. I would like to park them until late fall and find another boot to take their place, something that is light weight, waterproof, stiff soled and breathable. So far the Crispin Thor Gtx are standing out to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not sure that waterproof and breathable are words that can be used in the same sentence when talking about boots. In my experience, although it's marketed as breathable, Gore-Tex and the other "breathable membranes" are anything but if your doing anything more strenuous than glassing.

I guess my response above wasn't very helpful, so I'll try to positively contribute to the OP's question. My go to boots for all terrain and all weather is one of the following depending on the terrain and weather conditions; Salewa Alp Trainer, Salewa Mtn Trainer, Salomon 4D 3 GTX and Salomon XA Pro 3d.

Last edited:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty much in the same boat as you buddy, tagging in on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the same kenetreks, like them but was looking for something lighter. Maybe somewhere between them and my Solomon running shoes. I stopped into Schnees on the way home from a bear hunt and after talking with them I ended up with a pair of Scarpa Zodiac GTX and so far I've been really happy with them. Not sure if they will fully replace my KME, but they will at the very least be used to alternate and give my feet a break it chance for boots to dry out.

Scarpa Men's Zodiac Plus GTX Boot - Moosejaw

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I have been wearing my non-insulated Kenetrek mountain extreme pretty much everyday since I purchased them last October. Great boot, love everything about them - stiff sole, waterproof, comfortable and tough as nails. As we get into summer they are a bit hot for my liking. I would like to park them until late fall and find another boot to take their place, something that is light weight, waterproof, stiff soled and breathable. So far the Crispin Thor Gtx are standing out to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Funny, when I saw the thread title I was thinking Crispi Thor GTX! They are light, and breathe well. The jury is still out on whether or not they are enough boot for sheep and goats for me, but convinced they’ll be fantastic for everything else.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Funny, when I saw the thread title I was thinking Crispi Thor GTX! They are light, and breathe well. The jury is still out on whether or not they are enough boot for sheep and goats for me, but convinced they’ll be fantastic for everything else.

Exactly same as what I think. Great summer boot and very comfy but not enough ankle support for me in the mountains with heavy packs.

Benjblt

WKR
Not sure that waterproof and breathable are words that can be used in the same sentence when talking about boots. In my experience, although it's marketed as breathable, Gore-Tex and the other "breathable membranes" are anything but if your doing anything more strenuous than glassing.

I guess my response above wasn't very helpful, so I'll try to positively contribute to the OP's question. My go to boots for all terrain and all weather is one of the following depending on the terrain and weather conditions; Salewa Alp Trainer, Salewa Mtn Trainer, Salomon 4D 3 GTX and Salomon XA Pro 3d.

There is a massive difference between the breath-ability of a all leather vs cordura boot, all other things being equal. Case in point, I went through quite a stint of boot trying last year and my main focus was Crispi boots. When I tried on their leather boot vs the Cordura, ie Dakota vs Wyoming, I could feel the breath-ability difference between the two immediately. I think the Cordura just breaths so so much better.

I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes because they fit my feet so well. But I would love to have the Thors. They fit my feet my feet much better than the Wyomings. Also, they are very very light for the stiff sole that they have.

Exactly same as what I think. Great summer boot and very comfy but not enough ankle support for me in the mountains with heavy packs.

Is this just because of the 8" height of them and not the stiffness of the boot? Cause like others on here - I'm looking at these boots for summer scouting/hiking.

topher89

WKR
Depends on what you consider "breathable". I wear the Crispi Wyomings in the late spring, summer and early fall and they do a pretty good job of keeping my feet cool. Late fall, winter and early spring are an all leather insulated pair of the Crispi Wild Rocks. It is a good system for foot comfort.

Benjblt

WKR
Is this just because of the 8" height of them and not the stiffness of the boot? Cause like others on here - I'm looking at these boots for summer scouting/hiking.

It's not the height. Many of the other boots Crispi makes at similar heights have more support.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
It's not the height. Many of the other boots Crispi makes at similar heights have more support.

Agreed, I think its more the material they use around the ankle area. Its a light great stiff boot but will not make the trip with me for my sheep hunts this yr. They dry out so fast and are super comfy if they had the ankle support it would be a slam dunk for me.

OP
O
Agreed, I think its more the material they use around the ankle area. Its a light great stiff boot but will not make the trip with me for my sheep hunts this yr. They dry out so fast and are super comfy if they had the ankle support it would be a slam dunk for me.

Big Nasty, if not the Crispi Thor then what are you going to be using?

jparker

FNG
ive been using my Soloman speed cross shoes for archery season the last few seasons. This year im heading deeper into the mountains in NE Oregon and so far have been using them all spring to place and check trail cameras and yes my feet get wet, but they dry out so fast that i barely notice it. The lightweight shoe, and soft sole make log hopping through dead fall extremely easy! i like a stiff boot during winter months, but they seem to only hinder me when its warmer out and my feet are constantly sweating. I hate having sweaty feet. i haven't found a good waterproof boot that my feet dont sweat in, but thats just me.

so far i've put over 20miles on my speed cross in 2 trips, one trip with 75+lbs on my back for 4 miles, placed cameras, then hiked out with my pack weighing around 20 lbs. the rest of my trips have been fairly light, between 20-30lbs and haven't had any issues with my speed cross shoes.

OP
O
I ended up settling on the La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX after trying out the Cripsi Wyoming GTX, which hurt my feet bad after a 10 mile hike. I have been wearing The Trango's everyday for two weeks now and they are great. Supportive, sticky sole for rocks and my feet breathe nicely. I will see how durability is.