Salomon Boot/Shoe combo I’ve been using

RyanG505

FNG
So I figured I’d throw some information up on the boot/shoe combo I’ve been wearing. I’ve tried a lot of boots, and most all of them have been great. However, it’s that constant struggle of what works best for my feet that keeps me coming back to the Salomon line up. I know lots of guys always have questions on boots as do I, and what everyone is using so I figured this might help someone along their way of what boot works for them. I still don’t believe there’s one perfect boot out there.

I’ve come to really enjoy using the Salomon line of boots and shoes in my adventures. To be honest the military discount I get combined with how much I’ve liked them really makes them a good option for me. I’ve primarily used the Quest 4D GTX and the Speedcross 3. Both work great for what I use them for but I’d really like a more durable, stiffer boot than what the 4D can provide.

I notice Salomon had a “mountaineering” boot called the X-ALP MTN GTX. A friend of mine had worn these and said he really enjoyed them so I thought I’d give them a try in addition to my 4Ds and Speedcross.

In this thread I’m going to lay it all out there on how I feel about the Salomons in hopes it might help someone along their way.

bf5a5d936496bdb5dcc570fa7ee4b4d6.heic

I’ll start with the Speedcross 3 trail shoes that I use at times. I mainly wear theses in the early season or light scouting. These have great grip and are very comfortable even with lots of walking. I’ve used them primarily on September elk hunts and they’re a great option for stealthy stalks. These shoes do better for me in flat to rolling terrain, the desert flats, and if I’m spending a lot of time in grassy meadows. I know lots of guys use them for high country back pack hunts, but for me personally I want more ankle support. I have packed out an elk in them and they weren’t bad, but really lacked the stiffness I would have preferred for a heavy pack out. They are “water resistant” but I’ve had great luck with them staying very dry while wearing a pair of gaiters. Overall they’re a great trail shoe that will not disappoint for early season hunts or even just a good hiking/trail shoe.

9f2cfd64885593d290655d878858c999.heic

The boot that I primarily use on most all of my hunts is the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. This is a very light weight boot with good ankle support. It’s biggest downside is that it’s very flexible. The flexibility doesn’t bother me at all in most scenarios but some folks love super stiff boots and these just lack that stiff platform. They’re a great boot for guys that enjoy a flexible boot and I feel they have been solid for me in everything other than rocky, steep terrain with lots of hiking. They’re just a little bit flexy for big rocky, steep stuff while packing a load. When I need a really stiff boot I will wear my La Sportiva Trango Cubes.

c83825ce97e0deb4b38e31e753a73eab.heic

They’re very waterproof and when coupled with gaiters I’ve walked through shin deep water and stayed dry as well as lots of rain they stayed pretty dry. As far as comfort, I personally have yet to wear a more comfortable light boot. I really enjoy these on elk hunts, desert mule deer hunts, and early to mid season hunts. Although, I have worn them on a late season elk hunt and even at single digits my feet were very comfortable. They are very roomy and fit pretty true to size.

d8518f2de22ab9b13fbecdccc9fc9138.heic

My biggest complaint is that I have yet to be able to make a pair last more than 6-8 months. I’m on my 4th pair of them but like I said with the military discount I receive and the comfort for me these are my go to light boot. I cover a lot of miles in that 6-8 months and mostly nasty desert terrain so I feel that’s pretty fair for as light as the boot is. The bluffs and cliffs that I spend most my time in really eat these boots up bad.

bcdc6d4366f00da07b7dfd85a9753ea1.heic

Like I said they get chewed up in the country I spend most my time in but this country has wrecked every boot I have worn in here no matter who made them. So again like I said I think the durability is pretty fair for the amount of hiking I do and the terrain I do it in.

8517beb8b6980728875fa5152b096147.png

I spend most of my time in the terrain pictured above here in New Mexico watching these Barbary. I’d say 90% of my hiking is done in these cliffs so I really can’t knock the durability of these boots because anything gets chewed here.

The next boot I’m trying this year is the Salomon X-ALPS MTN GTX. They were recommended to me by a friend and seem to be really nice so far. As of today I’ve only put 12 miles on them but I’ve only had them since the beginning of last week. They seem like they will be a lot more durable than the 4Ds. As far as the fit and feel, they do feel a lot stiffer and fit more like a mountaineering boot to me. The toe box is pretty narrow and the lacing goes a little further down which I like.

7cf4b23cd5a16a3212b45c049fb78996.heic

They do have the same comfort that I’ve come to love in the Salomon boots and the more miles I get on them I think I will really enjoy these. They did really well on the one hike I did with lots of side hilling and felt significantly stiffer and more stable in the rocks than my 4Ds do. I did notice that they were very warm and my feet sweat a little more in them than I would have liked. However, it was 105 degrees out when I put most the miles on them.

d01a2c7b912f164446a3a464493ce6d4.heic

So far I really enjoy the X-ALPs like I said I’m only 12 miles in on them so I don’t have my true feelings yet but overall they’ve been good and impressive. I will get more up on them as the hikes progress.

I already take good tips and learning from lots of you here on the forum so I figured I’d pass along what I’ve experienced with the Salomon line of footwear.

Hopefully it helps someone in their research or if they’ve wondered about these different set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Thanks for the review and photos.
Very timely for me. I've recently been training with low cut hiking shoes rather than higher boots and I've actually had less ankle issues. I will probably "go low" in September for elk.
What gaiters were you using with the shoe?

I'm considering the Salomons and Oboz.

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
absolutely! I will get some more miles on them this week for sure and give some more opinion on them. I plan to go out the river and test the water proofness of them.

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
Thanks for the review and photos.
Very timely for me. I've recently been training with low cut hiking shoes rather than higher boots and I've actually had less ankle issues. I will probably "go low" in September for elk.
What gaiters were you using with the shoe?

I'm considering the Salomons and Oboz.

I run the sitka gaiters, I cant recall the exact ones I have because I know they have a few variations now but I have the mid shin high ones and the ankle ones. I've ran both on the Speedcross shoes.

Kotaman

WKR
I looked at the X-Alps and Crispi Thor. Ended up with the Crispi Thors due to the lack of feedback on the X-Alps. Happy with my decision thus far but would love to try both of these boots together to determine which I preferred. I never loved the 4D's due to their flexibility. I like a little stiffer boot in the mountains and the X-Alps would definitely fit the bill a little better IMO. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
I looked at the X-Alps and Crispi Thor. Ended up with the Crispi Thors due to the lack of feedback on the X-Alps. Happy with my decision thus far but would love to try both of these boots together to determine which I preferred. I never loved the 4D's due to their flexibility. I like a little stiffer boot in the mountains and the X-Alps would definitely fit the bill a little better IMO. Thanks for the feedback.

I hesitated as well due to the lack of information out there or honest reviews. A couple weekend hikers said they were great but that means almost nothing for what I need to hear about a boot. A good source recommended them to me and said he’s enjoyed them so I thought there isn’t much to loose for what I get them for. You are correct these are much stiffer than the 4Ds and I believe these will work much better. I’ll be sure to keep this thread going as I use them more.

eamyrick

WKR
Good review. I having been wearing the XA comps and now the 3ds for 12-13 years now though I’ve yet to find a waterproof model that fits me right (I’m a size 14).

I also really like Quest 4D GTX, but like others sometimes the ankle support could be a bit more stiffer. I've never had any issues but sometimes you step down and are like, if only a bit stiffer. It's a fair trade off for what in my opinion is a great boot, and I've owned the gambit from Merrell to asolo.

Please post a long term review, I'm looking forward to it.

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
Good review. I having been wearing the XA comps and now the 3ds for 12-13 years now though I’ve yet to find a waterproof model that fits me right (I’m a size 14).

Ohh man yeah that’s got to be hard to find any boot that fits right

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
I also really like Quest 4D GTX, but like others sometimes the ankle support could be a bit more stiffer. I've never had any issues but sometimes you step down and are like, if only a bit stiffer. It's a fair trade off for what in my opinion is a great boot, and I've owned the gambit from Merrell to asolo.

Please post a long term review, I'm looking forward to it.

Absolutely! I have a few hunts of my own from Colorado high country early season muleys to late season southwest desert coues, as well as a plethora of elk hunts il be guiding so the X-ALPs will get a lot of use here soon. I’ll keep up with periodic stuff on this thread as well as a whole new thread at seasons end just for the X-ALPs.

Thanks for the comparison as I've looked at the X Alp and found very very little information. My two biggest complaints with the 4D are lack of a tread that really holds off trail and sidehilling especially when wet or snowy and also the waterproof gtx liner leaking pretty quickly (hopefully Beendare's seam sealing concoction will fix this). I also have size 14 feet and have a tough foot to fit a boot. I really like the nice wide area of the 4D about at the flex joint where your toes meet your foot. Is this location where the toe box is narrower than the 4D on the X Alp or is it further forward? The 4D is still the most comfortable boot I've tried and I try almost every boot I can in every store I go even when travelling. I have resulted to using a set of Hillsound Trail crampons to alleviate the tread issue when wet or snowy.

eamyrick

WKR
For mountains I wear the Asolo Drifter. They aren’t perfect but have held up and are still waterproof after 5-6 years.

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
With the toe box being narrower on the alp did you size up or are you running the same size as in the 4D?

I did size up a half size in the alps but I really wished I had not done that...if I could go back I would have bought the same size as my 4Ds

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
Thanks for the comparison as I've looked at the X Alp and found very very little information. My two biggest complaints with the 4D are lack of a tread that really holds off trail and sidehilling especially when wet or snowy and also the waterproof gtx liner leaking pretty quickly (hopefully Beendare's seam sealing concoction will fix this). I also have size 14 feet and have a tough foot to fit a boot. I really like the nice wide area of the 4D about at the flex joint where your toes meet your foot. Is this location where the toe box is narrower than the 4D on the X Alp or is it further forward? The 4D is still the most comfortable boot I've tried and I try almost every boot I can in every store I go even when travelling. I have resulted to using a set of Hillsound Trail crampons to alleviate the tread issue when wet or snowy.

Honestly the area at the flex point seems to me that it’s not much smaller than the 4Ds, it narrows out a little more just at the toes. I agree with the 4Ds comfort!!

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
For mountains I wear the Asolo Drifter. They aren’t perfect but have held up and are still waterproof after 5-6 years.

Nice, A buddy of mine had those and they leaked after 8 days in NM Gila wilderness...to be fair it was really wet in there so I guess it all depends on where you are

muddydogs

WKR
RyanG505
Any update on the X-ALP boots?
I fell the same way you do about the 4D, like them a lot but there a little soft when side hilling or climbing over blow down. Just got a pair of the X-ALP's in the mail and so far they seem stiffer.
The X-ALP fit me about the same as the 4D but the ALP's are defiantly narrower then the 4D.

JohnnyB

WKR
Just started using 4D's this summer. After a few scouting trips in pretty rugged terrain I am pleased with the comfort vs stiffness trade off. The sizing for me has been right on- I wear a 12 in almost every brand so that's what I ordered and they fit great.

RyanG505
Any update on the X-ALP boots?
I fell the same way you do about the 4D, like them a lot but there a little soft when side hilling or climbing over blow down. Just got a pair of the X-ALP's in the mail and so far they seem stiffer.
The X-ALP fit me about the same as the 4D but the ALP's are defiantly narrower then the 4D.

Any updates on this? I wanna pull the trigger but have been holding off.