Who Packs Crampons?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How many of you pack crampons and which ones do you like? My buddy has a goat tag and I'll be going with him on the hunt. We are thinking about getting crampons to make hiking in the snow and ice easier along with steep, wet grass. I was thinking some kind of hiking crampon would be the best bet?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have tried Kathoola (SP?) micro spikes and was less than impressed as they would "walk" around my boot after extended sidehilling.

The Cypress 6 from Hillsound ratchet down tight and stay very secure.

I picked these over some other options as I like the fact that they don't have the crampons off the front of the boot. That way I don't get hung up as much when going up hill through the brush and grass, likely not an issue if only on the snow, but things are pretty varied vegetation wise on our Alaskan goat hunts that rarely go above 4K'.

Just another option:
Cypress6 - Crampons for Winter Footwear Traction- Ice Traction - Hillsound Equipment

On winter mountain goat hunt in February, no snow at sea level but plenty once we got to elevation:
Mf3nQKs.jpg

Last edited:

bcimport

WKR
After using real crampons for the first time a couple years back on a goat hunt I wouldn’t do a trip in the steep country without them. I used petzl’s and my buddy another brand. It takes a little learning not to stab yourself but the traction is unreal. Snow and ice is the obvious but we found ourselves using them when we had to climb or cross deadfall in vertical country, hop on the log and walk straight up the hill. I think the terrain that surprised us the most was steep rocky slabs. With just boots and trying to edge or smear traction was marginal and you always felt like you could be close to a slip and fall. With the crampons on you had amazing grip on that stuff, you just had to adjust to the height of standing on the spikes. So yes spend the money and get yourself 50’ of some climbing or staying rope and learn how to tie a couple useful knots.

Fatcamp

WKR
If in country where needed I would not hesitate to use them. They work so well, and weigh so little, that bringing an axe and crampons would be a no-brainer for me.

I have tried Kathoola (SP?) micro spikes and was less than impressed as they would "walk" around my boot after extended sidehilling.

I picked these over some other options as I like the fact that they don't have the crampons off the front of the boot. That way I don't get hung up as much when going up hill through the brush and grass, likely not an issue if only on the snow, but things are pretty varied vegetation wise on our Alaskan goat hunts that rarely go above 4K'.

Just another option:
Cypress6 - Crampons for Winter Footwear Traction- Ice Traction - Hillsound Equipment

On winter mountain goat hunt in February, no snow at sea level but plenty once we got to elevation:
Mf3nQKs.jpg
I wonder if maybe your Kahtool's were too big. When I first started using the K microspikes I purchased a size large (my boot size is 9-9 1/2), and had the same type of issues that you describe. I bought another pair, mediums, and that totally eliminated the issues of shifting around on my feet.

I wonder if maybe your Kahtool's were too big. When I first started using the K microspikes I purchased a size large (my boot size is 9-9 1/2), and had the same type of issues that you describe. I bought another pair, mediums, and that totally eliminated the issues of shifting around on my feet.

My Kahtoolas don’t shift around either and fit very tight. Used them this past winter and thought they worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are kinda what I'm thinking would work for me. How well have they held up for you?

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
I take Kahtoola microspikes on all my goat hunts and use them quite a bit. Two years ago I had a really wet goat hunt and ended up using them almost 100% of the time. They work very well on ice/glaciers but also work equally as well on steep, wet slopes and rocky creek crossings. The only problem that I've had with the Kahtoola's is when hiking through snow, the snow tends to ball up under your feet and can be a real PITA at times. Those STABILicers look pretty sweet as well but may be a little too aggressive for my needs. Any idea what those weigh?

Last edited:
Kahtoola work great going uphill but sidehill they suffer for me also. I’ll have to check out those others ones luke mentioned

Just another option:

Mf3nQKs.jpg

How is it going up hill with those crampons and no points on the front half?

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure what the answer is. I walked out of a kathoola packing a goat out. That step almost cost me my life. I went over 100’ down the mountain. I was lucky! I don’t think I can ever trust them again. I replaced them with hillsound, but there’s got to be better options.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I am a 10.5 and had the mediums. If they fit and don't walk on ya I am sure they are fine. I have come to much prefer the Cypress 6 crampons though. Ratchet down tight and go.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
How is it going up hill with those crampons and no points on the front half?

Usually I am either switch backing my way up or turning my feet sideways to the hill and crawling up that way regardless if I have crampons on or no so it works really well for me not having the spikes up front.

I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to take micro spikes on an upcoming sheep hunt and was heavily leaning towards not taking them. I just got back from an overnight, two day hike, got snowed on (only about a half inch), at 5,000’ elevation, and was sooo glad that I brought the Kahtoola’s.
Needless to say, we’ll be talking the micro spikes next month for sure.

BRWNBR

WKR
I take my four point instep crampons when I head to goat country on Kodiak. Wet snow will ball up in them but I carry a walking axe and it knocks them clean just fine. Don’t like full crampons.