Need some mouth calls for new turkey hunter.

boom

WKR
I need some easy mouth calls. I'm decent w friction and boxes, but appreciate the hands free reeds.

Any suggestions?

This will be my first pellet gun attempt come March hunt season. I haven't been this excited for a long time. Not knocking my beloved bow hunts, but the new tool is fun. I can't wait!!!

xcutter

WKR
Check out the MAD calls 3 packs they sale at Walmart. The prophlatic latex calls are the easiest to run. Single or double reed are the easiest to run.

Will_m

WKR
I think, if they still make them, primos sonic dome is a very good call to learn on. It has a dome to help with consistent mouth placement and a bat cut should give you the characteristic high and low end of the yelp with a little practice.

As an aside....

A pellet gun?

OP
B

boom

WKR
I think, if they still make them, primos sonic dome is a very good call to learn on. It has a dome to help with consistent mouth placement and a bat cut should give you the characteristic high and low end of the yelp with a little practice.

As an aside....

A pellet gun?

Thanks!!!

Yea. My pellet gun is legal here.

bradb

WKR
I use Hooks, they have the tape cut a little smaller. I HATE dome calls. So like any calls to each there own. Get a few different they are cheap and give find what you like. Play with trimming tape also. I don't really like a full tape and can use them trimmed right to the frame. Don't be afraid to flip them over and use the opposite side they suggest as it can create a much different pitch

I second the Primos sonic domes. I've also had good success with H.S. diaphragms but I really don't think it matters very much. Buy a few, try them out, and decide what you like. If you're comfortable and confident with the call, you'll use it more effectively.

This dude liked the sonic dome enough that I called him away from his own hens.
COshortbeardHEVISHOT.jpg

I started with a Lohman single reed. I use quake boy calls most of the time if I'm using a mouth call. I really only use a mouth call in conjunction with a slate. Either to make it sound like more than one hen or if the gobbler is coming in and I don't want to move. Back to original question I would think any simple single reed would be a good start. The more reeds and cuts the harder to get good sound out.

I forget the name of the call but the ones that have the premade domes in them are much easier than the older style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I carry a couple different diaphragms. Some are raspier than others so I can change up calls. I have a narrow mouth so trim my calls so they fit my particular mouth. Once you have the size that works best for you it's possible to use an older one to trace and trim others. Diaphragms are cheap so it may be worth trying out a few to get the tones you like. I've had pretty good luck with different woodhavens.