Turkey 101 for first timer

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Going on my first, looking for basic advice, essential gear. If it matters it will be fall in southern Colorado with my bow.

elkyinzer

WKR
Turkeys can be tough to call in the fall. Here there are two ways we hunt them...pattern food sources or bust up the flocks. Busting up flocks can be a ton of fun in the fall. You find a big flock of hens and do whatever you can to scatter them all different directions. Their natural instinct is to get back together, so you do these assembly calls to call them back. The only North American animal I can think of where camo is paramount, their eyes are incredible. Very, very tough to draw a bow on Eastern Turkeys. I've heard Western birds are not quite as wary.

Or, there is a self-proclaimed legendary master of turkey bow hunting that inhabits this site, I'm sure he will chime in soon.

rbljack

WKR
Breaking up the flock can work in the fall if they don't fly off the ridgeline and disappear over to the next ridge. As long as you can get back into them, they WILL try to reassemble and you can bring them in that way. they are way harder to hunt in the fall IMO. Much more vocal and way easier to locate and call in during the spring.

ncstewart

WKR
I've not hunted fall birds a lot but when I have I done the bust them and call method. Not sure on your turkey hunting experience but fall birds are a different animal than the spring. If possible i would look into spring hunt unless fall bow is just something you must do for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
I've not hunted fall birds a lot but when I have I done the bust them and call method. Not sure on your turkey hunting experience but fall birds are a different animal than the spring. If possible i would look into spring hunt unless fall bow is just something you must do for yourself.

Going in the fall simply because I won't draw that unit for spring. The only experience I have is they where all over during an elk hunt. Just like anything you don't have a tag for😃. The unit is also a place I'd like to go for a late season cow, so it's also an excuse to scout it more.

ncstewart

WKR
Going in the fall simply because I won't draw that unit for spring. The only experience I have is they where all over during an elk hunt. Just like anything you don't have a tag for. The unit is also a place I'd like to go for a late season cow, so it's also an excuse to scout it more.

I would say then do some reading on busting and calling. That's if you going without a blind anyway. If you know the area a blind and just setting up waiting would be great.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Swallow your pride and get ready to get outsmarted by a really goofy looking bird.... that'll happen for a while and then eventually you'll accidentally call one in and you'll shoot it hahahaha

Jimss

WKR
Turkeys can start getting into fairly large groups in the fall. If that is the case they are super tough to get into bow range. It's a matter of going into stealth mode and trying to get in front of them or stalk them when they are feeding. If they roost in particular trees you may wait there in the evening or when they fly down in the morning. Toms tend to start grouping up in the fall...sometimes separate from hens. If you want a tom the breaking up the flock may not work if there aren't any toms in the hen groups? Where I live in Colo there is an incredible amount of country without many turkeys. It may take a lot of boot leather to locate them. As mentioned above they don't tend to be as vocal in the fall. Where there are trees and brush it makes it tougher to find them...especially if they are quiet. Where I hunt in Colo the turkeys are pretty quiet even in the spring. The only thing I can figure out is there are so many predators that they get eaten if they make noise! Have fun and good luck!

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
This started while scouting at the end of September for a mid November elk hunt. The turkey in the same places six weeks apart, and quiet. Predators are definitely high, at least when you add up the bear, coyotes and lions.

Main reason for using my bow is its the best option I own between that a .270 and sub compact 9mm. Need a bino upgrade desperately so new weapons are not happening this year.

Thanks everyone for great information, keep it coming.

Jimss

WKR
If the toms or jakes are separate from hens you may be able to get them upset with a jake decoy. They may come try to beat it up! If toms are with hens they are a lot tougher to decoy. It's a good sign that you saw turkeys in the same area!

Cgeb

WKR
Go prepared to hunt for something else, that's usually when they show up. I had about 30 birds in a group walk right under my tree stand at deer season.

JigStick

WKR
I can't image bow hunting eastern turkey in the fall. here in PA I always fill my turkey tags. I have taken some long beards with my bow in the spring, hunting from ground blinds and calling them in. In the fall i switch to my shotgun because they are so much harder to get close to. What I normally do is just walk around as quiet as possible (hard with all the leaves down), pause every so often and sit for 20min, and see if i can hear them scratching the leaves. If I don't hear anything i keep walking while looking for sign.

If I do hear them scratching Ill sit tight and let them come. If they hang up outside of range Ill fire off a shot to bust up the flock...then move to where I saw them, sit down, and fire off an assembly call. wait for the group to come back and then shoot one in the face.

Thats worked for me over the past 5 years. FWIW

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a deer tag also. Here I Wisconsin I always get a fall turkey tag but mostly as a target of opportunity. It also may be legal in your area to use dogs to tree birds like bears or mountain lions. I've never tried it but the idea is sound.

Autonamic

FNG
Great info here. I will be getting my first OTC spring turkey tag here in Northern Colorado. No experience and to make it worse there aren't many turkeys around here but it's a great reason to just get out with my bow. Anybody with experience in the area or just with mountain merriams I'd love to hear your strategies!