Backcountry Turkey?

rbljack

WKR
For those who turkey hunt the mountains and National forests, im looking for how you field dress and care for the meat in the backcountry. Ive broken down birds here and there, but its always been morning or evening hunts. when the turkey gets killed, the hunt is over and I head back to the truck.

This year, I may try an overnighter or weekend trip in the mountains of NM to turkey hunt, and combine it with a shed hunt simultaniouly.

I need to verify the rules for their spring turkey season and see whats required when a bird is down, but looking for general recommendations on how you do it in the backcountry (referring to preferred field dress methods) , and meat care. Any difference, tips or tricks appreciated...thanks!

Bulldawg

WKR
Pluck and gut, pretty simple. But in reality, I would just leave when I kill a bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
What month are you planning on going and what daytime temps do you expect? Possibly do a search to see the average lows/highs when you are going? If hunting here in the mtns of Colo it would likely be similar temps to fall big game hunting with close to freezing temps at night. Possibly pack out your turkey to the truck. You could freeze a couple milk jugs with water in them and place them in a cooler...and put a spare sleeping bag over it during the day....open the cooler up at night so it possibly re-freezes. I know a few guys that when hunting super early in the fall for big game will bring along thick garbage bags, place the meat in the bags, seal the bags, and place them in a cold creek. It would be pretty simple to do that with turkey breast. You can likely fit them inside 1 or 2 gallon ziplock bags and put them in a creek or bury them in the ground where it is cooler? As you mentioned just make sure you keep the parts attached to the bird or are required by NMGF.

rayporter

WKR
once on a multi day trip we killed 2 and it warmed up enough for us to put the meat in the river for a day before we left. we had a cold night the first day and were ok for a day and then the sun warmed up and we got worried. when the temps dropped we wrapped the meat up and kept it in the shade.

topher89

WKR
I think hiking it back to the truck is the best plan if you want to stay longer to do other things.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
yeah....that is my concern too. it will be spring in the mtns of NM, so temps could be freezing with snow on ground, or 60's and sunny....so there is a big temp swing. Because im trying to combine hunting turkeys with hunting sheds, im hoping to avoid the trip back to the truck if we kill a bird....but it will be totally weather dependent I think. My gut is telling me if we get a bird its going to mean a hike back down to the truck to get the bird on ice in the coolers.

charvey9

WKR
Pluck, gut, and hang. Leave a spur on one leg if you need proof of sex. Not much different than shooting an elk in September, except its a lot less meat. I wouldn't have any reservations hanging it in the shade, packing in the snow, or putting a creek for a day or two. Whatever the best option you have to keep it cool.

Edit..

Here are few pictures of the Turkey's my brother and I got last spring in Oregon while also bear / mushroom hunting. We actually ate mine the same day, and packed his out at the end of our hunt. Good times.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
I packed in for a turkey hunt a couple years ago in southern NM and we had just about every type of weather thrown at us in a 5 day period, I shot my turkey on the second day which was in the 60's so I plucked it and put it in plastic sack then in a lightweight waterproof Sea to Summit sack and placed it in the creek for the day, at the end of the day I took it out of the bags and hung it for the night and it was frozen by morning(15 degree nights), it stayed that way for the next three days and the pack out. I would think if you kept the bird cold 50 degree or less it would be good for at least 3 or 4 days, people dry age birds all the time even ungutted although I would always gut them

I'll be driving out to NM from Florida to do a turkey hunt/shed hunt.
I won't need to worry too much about my birds because they will be plucked, gutted, and thrown on hot coals right away. :D

Good luck!