Attempting first archery gobbler hunt in Nebraska

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
So i should have some time off from work late March into April and am trying to plan a archery turkey hunt in Nebraska. I've never hunted their but I know their is a good amount of public land and a decent amount of birds. Just wondering if anyone has any general info on area's in the state that tend to hold more birds or what not. Also how the birds tend to work in the early archery season? Any useful info is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it before. Birds were in large groups and a pop up blind is a good idea. we used decoys which ideally gets the birds to stick around in one spot for a moment giving you a chance to shoot. scout to find out where they are headed after they fly down and be along their route.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, yea I've got a nice pop up blind I plan on bringing and some decs so we shall see. Did you hunt the early season?

Jimss

WKR
I've hunted gobblers during archery season once. If they are still in large flocks they are nearly impossible to call or get to come to decoys. It's very similar to trying to call bull elk away from their cows. I generally try to stay mobile and cut the large flocks off and get in front of them as the move. With that many great eyes it's pretty tough getting within bow range. The weather can also be pretty brutal during archery season so be prepared for the worse. One method that sometimes works for me if they are in large flocks is to set up decoys near their roosting tree/s. I had 0 luck with blinds where I hunted. It was fairly open country and blinds always seemed to spook birds. If you find this happening you might try it without a blind. The turkeys tended to break up more and more once shotgun season started and were a bit easier to stalk and call in.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info jimss sounds like some helpful tips! I may try to go a little later in the archery season after what you say and what I have read about birds working a little better as the season goes on.

Jimss

WKR
If you are flexible with dates I would also keep an eye on the weather. I've hunted Nebraska the last 6 years and each year is a little different. The flocks likely break up earlier in years with milder springs. Once they start breaking up from their winter flocks they often scatter like the wind and may cover lots of miles. Where I hunt that means the same number of birds spread out over a lot bigger area....which can be a little tougher finding. The wind also howls in Nebraska. If it's windy they often go silent and are a lot tougher to locate in hidden away draws.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
That is a good point, with any luck I'll be able to kick around out their for a good two weeks so hopefully that gives me enough time to catch them in both stages if the weather is right. Im also looking at getting a tag for south Dakota. Their archery tag appears to be OTC and state wide.