Turkey Hunting Ohio: Maumee State Forest or Wayne National Forest

Netherman

WKR
I'm looking to get out of Michigan this year for some spring turkey action and am looking into Ohio. Does anyone have any experience turkey hunting in either Maumee SF or Wayne NF? I'm saving my vacation for an archery elk hunt this fall so this will be a duck out early Friday (~3ish) get back late Sunday kind of mission. I'm leaning towards Wayne but am worried that my 5hr drive could easily turn into 6-7 depending on when I am passing thru Cleveland. Below are the pros and cons that I can think of. I would really appreciate if anyone had any other input or could confirm or deny my thoughts.

Maumee
Pros - Is 1.5 hrs away, I have seen turkeys in the area while driving thru, will be able to roost a bird after arriving and setting up camp.
Cons - Isn't a small area (3200 acre) but not anywhere as large as Wayne NF (200,000 acre), have to camp at a campground

Wayne
Pros - Is a much larger area, can camp anywhere (good practice for upcoming elk hunt)
Cons - Is 5+ hrs away depending on city traffic, never been near there (internet research says there are turkey there), won't be able to roost a bird Friday night due to travel time.
Extra Credit: looks better for fishing

After thinking about this more while typing I'm pretty much set on Wayne, mainly for the additional backpacking experience and solitude (hopefully). I figure at this point I might a well post it in case someone else is in the same dilemma.

Nick

clip

FNG
I've not seen much of anything alive in MSF can't speak to the Wayne, northern Ohio has a good turkey population but most hang out on private land the public gets hit very hard. Honestly not sure I would burn the gas or spend the money on the out of state tag without some king of private access.
I was as at our local gun club here (very near MSF) shooting rifle with my son and 3 birds walked the full width of the range 10 guys standing there laughing just watching.

Your right about the Wayne as a practice walk in but there has got to be better in your state.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Michigan is pretty good. But you are limited to a one week season if you want to hunt public land in the southern half of the state. This year I drew the first season April 17-23 in Michigan. Ohio lets you hunt from April 24th to May 21st in the South zone. So my plan would be to do a weekend trip or two down to WNF in May.

I'd be looking at $125 in non-res general hunting license and another $24 for the turkey tag. I could probably make two trips down at probably $100 a trip for gas and probably under $50 a weekend in food. Works out to $450 for two weekends of hunting. I should be able to talk at least one of my buddies into going/splitting gas so $350 gets it done.

Plus if I can tag out bowhunting whitetail in Michigan (very unlikely) I could get an Ohio deer tag for $24 (basically free).

Nick

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I'll send you a PM. This is on public land close to Wayne.

5d643e2b81f0d276378ac02ff3e66740.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk