2017 Turkey Meatpole

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
View attachment 50463

11 year old daughter's bird from a couple weeks ago... two beards- main 5" beard and 1.5" secondary.

Not a trophy, but a trophy to her. She can't wait to go again... what more can I ask for from a very girly girl?

This is great. However, picture not showing. Would love to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Here is one of my two birds from this year. The other one was a small Jake, but with public land being hit as hard as it was. And me only 2 days to turkey hunt(it's a 2 hour one way drive) I am happy with what I got.
a3c6ad00a201fc5c0d11495114c5597c.jpg

Scottyboy

WKR
My buddy and I tagged out during the "B" season in Minnesota.

My Turkey was 24lb, 10.5" beard, and 1" spurs.

Buddies was 27.1 lb, 10.25" beard, and 1-1/16" spurs

Nice birds! I was down by goodhue and only saw a handful of hens, nothing was clucking or gobbling for us. I guess we get to try the loser season in a few weeks ;-)

Jimss

WKR
I usually don't post website pics but can't resist with turkeys! Here's a couple toms I got on opening weekend in Colorado.
Colo2tomJim2017aemail.jpg
jimtomscenic2017aemail.jpg

Jimss

WKR
I had an epic gobbler hunt in Nebraska as well. I lucked out and harvested 3 nice toms in 1 day!

Attachments

• Nebtom1.jpg
    Nebtom1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Nebtom2pano.jpg
    Nebtom2pano.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Nebtom3email.jpg
    Nebtom3email.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nice birds! I was down by goodhue and only saw a handful of hens, nothing was clucking or gobbling for us. I guess we get to try the loser season in a few weeks ;-)

We were down by Houston/Caledonia and in 3 days saw 5 toms (shot 2 of them), a handful of hens, and no jakes. Normally, we hunt the "D" season and end up eating tap soup. Good luck during the last season! Hope you get one man!

hobbes

WKR
Western Montana mountain bird.............

This guy dive bombed off the top of the mountain to a wide bench that I was on at 10:30 AM this morning. He looked completely out of control when he went overhead and landed behind me and sounded like a whole flock of mallards dropping in. He ended up 100 yards behind me he was going so fast. I believe it's the craziest things I've had a tom do to get to the call. He strutted and gobbled up behind me to 34 yards and I rolled to my knees when he went behind a tree. He didn't react fast enough to avoid a load of #6's.

2n7p06c.jpg

11hz0yd.jpg

Jimss

WKR
Gorgeous merriams Hobbes! That's a crazy story! I had a similar experience to yours happen once. A tom gobbled his way down a canyon and came to some cliffs so flew down the canyon to the bottom where I was set up with a couple decoys. It's amazing how loud they are when flying! Your story brought back a great memory! Congrats on a gorgeous tom and glad you had such a great experience!

charvey9

WKR
Bird number 2 for the season. 9'5" beard and the hunt was textbook. Set up before dawn 100 yards from his roost, and he was gobbling at me while I threw out the pop up blind. He had plenty of hens, so it took some convincing after he came down, but eventually he came strutting in pushing a some hens. 20 yards with the bow. My best tom with 9.5" beard.

BGLEMIN

FNG
Bird number 2 for the season. 9'5" beard and the hunt was textbook. Set up before dawn 100 yards from his roost, and he was gobbling at me while I threw out the pop up blind. He had plenty of hens, so it took some convincing after he came down, but eventually he came strutting in pushing a some hens. 20 yards with the bow. My best tom with 9.5" beard.

Flat out one of the most tactical turkey takedowns I've seen!! Superb charvey9

hobbes

WKR
I was by myself about 3.5 miles in so none of me with it.

Great looking bird. Looks like a heck of a beard.

Just an FYI. Most, if not all, phones and cameras have a timer that can be set for 10 seconds (or less). I set my phone to timer mode, prop it up however I can (photo above was on a log with a couple sticks helping balance it), punch the button, dash around behind the turkey that is already in place while counting down to 10, spread the fan and look at camera. It takes some trial and error. :)

f5eca02423c80d9676649e8318b396c4.jpg

After my two KY birds, went over to Ft. Campbell and got this nice one. 23.5 lbs, 12 1/8 beard and 1 1/8 spurs. Not a easy bird being over a month into there season.

Great looking bird. Looks like a heck of a beard.

Just an FYI. Most, if not all, phones and cameras have a timer that can be set for 10 seconds (or less). I set my phone to timer mode, prop it up however I can (photo above was on a log with a couple sticks helping balance it), punch the button, dash around behind the turkey that is already in place while counting down to 10, spread the fan and look at camera. It takes some trial and error. :)

Thanks. I'll have to play around with it some. I don't know a third of what my iPhone can do.

mcr-85

WKR
I took my boy to check the horses and mules at the field and we did a little spot and stalk on this guy.
907d57104fa8810c6bee2b76e0128689.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
charvey9- That's one hell of a breakdown! Kudos to you gor.taking the whole bird. I make spicy sweet Italian sausage out of the bones out legs and thighs and in spaghetti it's fantastic.

vanish

WKR

To go along with that, my android can be set to take a photo every 10 (or other number) seconds continuously until you stop it. That works great for solo photoing - Prop it up, turn it on, look like a dork posing in different positions for a couple minutes, pick the good photo.

My bird earlier in the thread was self-photo'd on my phone using that exact method. :)

Wyoming bird, taken with my boys, ages 5 and 2. They got to pick what gun I took and even got to use the box call. Had this tom answer back to their crazy calls surprised me but that is what it is all about. Neck shot with the 30-30 at 40 yards was probably the toughest part.View attachment 50720