Turkey gear hauler

I am looking at areas here in Iowa that are farther back from the easy spots to get to, to bow hunt turkeys. What has everyone had luck with for hauling a Primos blind, Millennium chair and two to three decoys. I have a Blind Hog, but can not get everything in it and sound like I am carrying tin pots while fumbling with the stuff that I can not get in the Blind Hog. TIA.

Jimss

WKR
That's a pile of stuff! I know a guy that uses a 2 wheeled golf bag cart plus backpack to haul his gear in. If you are using full bodied solid decoys (like DSD's) they are pretty bulky and heavy. I switched over to Miss Perfect hen decoys because they take up so little room and weight. Avian X are fairly nice because they collapse. If I'm bringing a lot of stuff in rough country where there isn't any roads I use my Kifaru EMRII. It hauls super bulky and hefty loads very well. Don't forget if you get a turkey (or 2) that you have additional weight and bulk! Good luck!

cfdjay

WKR
I'm surprised you can't fit that in your Blind Hogg. I hauled 2 blinds, stool, and 4 decoys in mine. I think if you get creative with the straps you can make work. Also try a mesh bag for your decoys.

weaver

WKR
I use my Kifaru emr II as well. Pretty expensive if you just use it for turkey hunting though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The last few years I've just used my pack as my turkey vest. Calls and what not in the top pocket, decoy strapped to the outside. If I get a bird, he goes into a game bag inside the pack. I'm going quite a bit lighter though. I only take one half strut Jake and I always sit on the ground without a blind, even archery. I've had some of my best turkey decoying since I started just using the one Jake.

Whereabouts in NE Iowa are you? I hunted the yellow river SF a little looking for a fall gobbler while I was in Iowa City.

I'm surprised you can't fit that in your Blind Hogg. I hauled 2 blinds, stool, and 4 decoys in mine. I think if you get creative with the straps you can make work. Also try a mesh bag for your decoys.

I second the mesh bag. When I used to try to set a flock spread, I put them all in a mesh duck decoy bag. If you're using something like DSDs, maybe even a 4-slot goose bag.

OP
F
The last few years I've just used my pack as my turkey vest. Calls and what not in the top pocket, decoy strapped to the outside. If I get a bird, he goes into a game bag inside the pack. I'm going quite a bit lighter though. I only take one half strut Jake and I always sit on the ground without a blind, even archery. I've had some of my best turkey decoying since I started just using the one Jake.

Whereabouts in NE Iowa are you? I hunted the yellow river SF a little looking for a fall gobbler while I was in Iowa City.
I am taking it Toms react aggressively to the Half Strut like they do when it is paired with a hen? Turkeys with a bow are still kind of new to me. I am still worried about getting busted drawing while not in a blind.
I am in Harpers Ferry. I actually work at Yellow River as a Technician. When where you in this area?

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I did manage to get my up right and feeding hen in the Blind Hog. Still leaves the Half Strut and Millennium chair to carry in. If it was a normal folding chair I would be able to get it in, but the seat is to wide and flat to get it in. I'll be brain storming more options.

Exactly. I haven't noticed any difference compared to when I was using 2-3 decoys. When they see it, they charge. We had one give us the slide on Easter, not sure if he was a Jake or didn't see the decoy but the next bird strutted right in. I've only been hunting in semi-open timber the last few years so I'm not sure if it would work the same on say a field edge.

It would have been about 2010 when I was poking around up there. I sure wish I would have spent more time up there but I was chasing geese mostly back then. I'm starting to miss the hardwoods a little now...

Good luck with your hunt, it looks like the IA guys have been doing well!