Spot & Stalk Montana Turkey

I've been chasing this gobbler for the past few days. He was quite the elusive bird. He was not coming into decoys or responding to calling. So I decided to put a stalk on him. It was further complicated because he was with a hen and in the midst of half a dozen whitetail. Lots of eyes! After 45 minutes I was finally able to crawl up a ravine and ambush him. Shot him at 35 yards and he ran off. It took me a while to find him because he was tucked under a thick pine tree, though he had only gone about 100 or 150 yards. I turned a corner and he was looking straight at me! I didn't want to use another broadhead so I shot him with a Judo point between the eyes!
a7a23ba42f3a78ac928352cf59839ba0.jpg
6d480e20b6569476eba4c1413d033538.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Judo to the noggin will put em' down. Heck of a shot. Nice bird!

CC

FNG
I've been chasing this gobbler for the past few days. He was quite the elusive bird. He was not coming into decoys or responding to calling. So I decided to put a stalk on him. It was further complicated because he was with a hen and in the midst of half a dozen whitetail. Lots of eyes! After 45 minutes I was finally able to crawl up a ravine and ambush him. Shot him at 35 yards and he ran off. It took me a while to find him because he was tucked under a thick pine tree, though he had only gone about 100 or 150 yards. I turned a corner and he was looking straight at me! I didn't want to use another broadhead so I shot him with a Judo point between the eyes!
a7a23ba42f3a78ac928352cf59839ba0.jpg
6d480e20b6569476eba4c1413d033538.jpg

Awesome. Nice shot. I moved to Montana a couple years ago from pa and have struggled to find public land turkeys. Could you point me to a general area?

OP
Bowhuntr64
Awesome. Nice shot. I moved to Montana a couple years ago from pa and have struggled to find public land turkeys. Could you point me to a general area?

I live in CO and was just visiting.
I was in NW Montana, just north of Eureka. Lots of roads in the Nat Forest and decent numbers of turkeys.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Spot & Stalk Montana Turkey

Plus, there are a good number of landowners near there who hate turkeys and are glad to let people hunt them.
It's way better in the early season, people apparently can't even scare them off their back yards. Later in the season they head to the woods and are much more wary.

And on a separate note, I've never seen so many Whitetails in my life. The fields had hundreds--literally hundreds of them in them, over a several mile area. Lots of them were getting hit on the road, Hwy 93.

Last edited: