What choke are you running?

topher89

WKR
I have a new Beretta A300 that I ran through the upland season. I ran out of time to get it set up for turkey season so I used my old 870 instead.

Now that I have so more time, I am thinking about getting a turkey choke for my A300 and using that next season.

What chokes are you guys running? What is working well for you?

I shoot a pattern master long range for everything. If shots are really close I may switch to my factory cylinder choke. Benelli SBE

Jimss

WKR
I use my old hand-me-down Remington 870 full choke 12 guage from my dad. I don't think I've missed 1 tom in the 6 years I've hunted turkeys....and I've shot 25 toms in that time. The trick is to know the distance your shotgun is capable of shooting, don't shoot any further than that distance, only take good head shots, and use quality turkey loads. I've had great luck with Winchester Long Beards, 6 shot, 3" mags. When I pull the trigger I know the tom is going to hit the ground! This doesn't answer your question about turkey chokes but I really don't think you need one! If you are set on a turkey choke possibly do a search or start a post on oldgobbler.com There are a lot of expert turkey guys at that website. Good luck with the turkeys!

bradb

WKR
Sumtoy. Great guy to work with. If it doesn't pattern like you hope he will keep working with you

howl

WKR
Which shells you intend to use and how far you tend to shoot make a difference in which choke you try.

Netherman

WKR
I would try the full choke that came with the A300 first. I really like the Winchester Longbeard XR shells. If you aren't happy with the "free" choke I would third the old gobbler/turkey specific forum search to see what others with your gun shoot.

To answer your initial question I have two Remington 870s one 12ga supermag with an Indian Creek .665 and a 20ga with the factory "super full" both shooting Longbeard XRs in #5 shot.

Nick

bradb

WKR
Yup Keith I shoot more birds with my Weatherby Sa 08 youth 20 then I do with any thing else anymore. The 20 kills about 10 birds a year between me, youths, and friends using it. I don't feel handicapped compared to my 12 at all. William made me a different set up for my Knight TK 2000 balck powder shot gun. The gun didint' shoot that good and he said he was up for idea of "fixing" there choke. The Tk choke had female threads, he made a tube with double female threads, one screwed on the Tk and the other took a standard choke. I actually picked it up on the way to FL for Osceola hunt. We grabbed a handful of chokes and walked over to his range and shot it tell we found what we liked. He had never done a set up like this. The TK then shot up there with most any 12 gauge. I shot a single season slam with it that year.

I shoot a rob Roberts choke in a sbe 1 with hevi shot. Been happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup Keith I shoot more birds with my Weatherby Sa 08 youth 20 then I do with any thing else anymore. The 20 kills about 10 birds a year between me, youths, and friends using it. I don't feel handicapped compared to my 12 at all. William made me a different set up for my Knight TK 2000 balck powder shot gun. The gun didint' shoot that good and he said he was up for idea of "fixing" there choke. The Tk choke had female threads, he made a tube with double female threads, one screwed on the Tk and the other took a standard choke. I actually picked it up on the way to FL for Osceola hunt. We grabbed a handful of chokes and walked over to his range and shot it tell we found what we liked. He had never done a set up like this. The TK then shot up there with most any 12 gauge. I shot a single season slam with it that year.

It's tough to beat the weight and barrel length of the youth 20's if you do a lot of running and gunning. Combine that with the loads out now designed for those guns and chokes and I don't see myself lugging around the 12 gauge again anytime soon

bradb

WKR
From memory I am getting 170 or 190 at 40 yards with both hevi shot 7s and heviweght 7s. Seen more then a few birds killed at 50 with the 20. Yes my 3.5" 12 puts more in a 10" circle at 40. But I don't really try to shoot birds past 40 very often. The youth 20 is so nice to carry and does all I need.

Murdy

WKR
Hevi-13 choke tube with the Hevi shot blend -- I've been happy with it and killed 5 birds in the last 4 years (I did miss one, but I think I'm pretty sure it was my fault)

I just shoot my turkey super full that came with my Remington super mag. It puts them down quite well.