Anyone looking forward to 17-18 upland season?

JWP58

WKR
Gotta whip my Britts into shape, but im looking forward to sharptails, huns/chuks, maybe a phez, and quail in 17-18. My 16-17 was pretty crappy due to twins arriving a few months early, but I did hunt sharpies a fair bit.

Hope to have them tuned up by December for a road trip to Texas to see Mr. Bob White.

Anyone else stoked? Plans? Its never too early to talk birds.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to it as it's going to be my first serious year hunting birds since I was in high school, about 10 years ago. My GSP is 7 months and I can't wait to get him out.

He spent all day with me on the mountain today in Idaho for an archery shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking forward to some bird hunting thsi fall / winter - have a young Drahthaar that will make it more fun as we see what she wants to learn and do!

plans? Hope to get up north some to chase grouse/woodcock early (late sept/early oct),,,,heading to ND in late october but that is mainly a duck hunt,,,

it will likely be 2018-2019 when I get serious - have plans for me and her to head west / midwest to chase pheasant, chukar, grouse, whatever!
kfjcRn7nprkPHNuKIH_Ad5ATO8onmZSs_zHLEefGGw0L7zyGMpaVcmVg940P1fmu9jtbK0xcZSOWYg=w293-h220-rw

KJH

WKR
September- Maybe a bird or two if the situation arises in Alaska (every 1-3 year trip)
Early October- Saskatchewan waterfowl and grouse (annual trip)
Late October- North Dakota waterfowl first and pheasants to round out the fun (annual trip)
November, December- South Dakota and Nebraska waterfowl (within 3 hours of home) and pheasants when not duck hunting. (Several days per week)
January, February- Nebraska geese. Maybe Kansas. (couple days a week)

So yes... I love shooting birds. I'm always excited for it. Upland and Waterfowl.

KurtR

WKR
I am but it is going to be the first year with out my first dog so that is kind of a bummer but my kid is 12 and we will hit waterfowl and pheasants hard this year. I still have an 8 year old lab that goes like he is a pup so i know he is ready to go

Always look forward to upland season. For me, everything else is just filler until bird season starts. Start with some hunting preserve pheasants just to get things going and then Nevada for chuckar and quail.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Upland bird hunting is my favorite. I am getting back into bowhunting this year after a few years off, but pheasant hunting is still my favorite.

October - a couple weekends in Minnesota chasing pheasants
November - pheasants in Iowa and a trip to Kansas
December - pheasants in Iowa and possibly an extended weekend in Kansas
January - pheasants in Iowa and 2 extended trips to Kansas

Just reading this thread really gets the juices flowing. I have a springer named Doc. We usually keep a pretty consistent training schedule all year. Training and bird work is just plain fun.

View attachment 53133

NEhunter

WKR
Definitely looking forward to this years bird season. Had a great season last year, this will be season 12 for my lab and season one for my 8 mo old drahthaar.

c2a4434c5567df2b3a484db90bbe3922.jpg

6b2f947d8c831584e88cc12254d535e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
NEHunter - we must have had the same idea,,,,you were just earlier than me,,,,my lab Brandy turns 12 this month and I have a 3 month old Drahthaar,,,,,,looking forward to it

nexySihK7pq1rx41Uhm8Yaz1D5E0t4u3zwi3ghGfW0nhahOufMaikbUsNzK6vJsrzeG553OGrKN4RA=w165-h220-rw

kfjcRn7nprkPHNuKIH_Ad5ATO8onmZSs_zHLEefGGw0L7zyGMpaVcmVg940P1fmu9jtbK0xcZSOWYg=w293-h220-rw

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
My next dog might be a drathaar or gwp. Once my two britts are gone, I'm going to only one dog, and waterfowl would be fun to get into.

nazca

FNG
Yeah, I can't wait. I moved to a new state (Washington) this year, so I've got a lot of exploring to do.

Some GWP motivation for ya from the past couple seasons:
IMG_3083.jpgIMG_0740.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0208.jpg20151016_154506.jpg

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
My good buddy is 9 years old.
Skipped a elk/mule deer trip this year cause I'm trying to get as many days as I can with him this year.
There's partridge, pheasants and trout in serious trouble this year.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our family added a Pudlepointer from Tall Timber Pudelpointers this spring. He has been a ton of fun and I am working with the local NAVHDA group to see if we can get him trained up. :) Hoping to chase some birds with him this fall. Being a versatile dog, the end goal is see if we can get him to retrieve some ducks as well.

Due to my wife's health issues and having kids in the house I decided to add bird hunting to the mix to increase my days afield. Bird hunting can be done in shorter trips and its easier to drag kids along. Its been a fun transition in our house.
#gunnerpp • Instagram photos and videos

KJH

WKR
I just got more excited about it after seeing this thread.

"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." ~Earnest Hemingway.

smokinf15

WKR
e9659f9adea958b6f09710cc9d98b9dd.jpg

ff6eb7c98dea16a3f076a4c7bc53d6d6.jpg

458ec62c4ec1411036c7665875038076.jpg

Counting the days! It was a rough winter in Oregon, hope the chukars did ok. Going to take Dad with me on my first trip to Montana for phez, sharpies, and Huns for a week. Will be a long haul but can't wait. Still doing lots of research....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idcuda

WKR
I'm ready! I have a Brittany and we'll be hitting up the chukar, quail, and huns mainly. I've seen some good head counts on chukar and quail, and I've heard similar reports in the area. Heck, I saw a pile of chukar up in the foothills off 8th street. Not any place I would hunt, but I like to see 'em there. Anyone else have reports from the SW Idaho area?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just received my UT email for successful Sage Grouse and Sharptail Grouse tags. Expect to hunt Sage Grouse in UT, WY and ID. Some Huns, Sharpies and Chuks in ID...Blues/Ruff's and Chuks in UT. Thinking about heading up into ID to find a Spruce Grouse as I've never hunted those.

First hunt of the year is normally a backcountry hike to find some UT Ptarmigan.....

i-Pt9TdvZ-L.jpg