Anyone looking forward to 17-18 upland season?

Counting down the days as well!!! Skipping big game trips to save up for a big trip next year so I can get my 1 y/o Draht out on as many birds as possible and get the 11 y/o out for another memorable year for her.
Will hunt locally around Nebraska and Iowa.
Heading to MN for Ruffed grouse/woodcock the end of Oct. Heading to KS for a week at the end of Nov to hunt the Cimarron Nat Grasslands for 3-4 days to hopefully get into some scaled quail and will migrate to central KS for bobwhites and Roosters.

View attachment 55589

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
Counting down the days as well!!! Skipping big game trips to save up for a big trip next year so I can get my 1 y/o Draht out on as many birds as possible and get the 11 y/o out for another memorable year for her.
Will hunt locally around Nebraska and Iowa.
Heading to MN for Ruffed grouse/woodcock the end of Oct. Heading to KS for a week at the end of Nov to hunt the Cimarron Nat Grasslands for 3-4 days to hopefully get into some scaled quail and will migrate to central KS for bobwhites and Roosters.

View attachment 55589

that's a fun sounding season plan,,,

I'm planning the fall for my young drahhaar and I as well,,,,she's 4 1/2 months old right now, will be 6 months old 23rd of September,,,,and we will be on birds somewhere if I have to do a dang preserve down here! debating heading north or west for fun, exposure, and exploring (for future years) anyhow even if I don't actually get birds (priority this fall is training not shooting),,,,,

anyhow, enjoy the season,,,,,

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I know my dog is ready. Its going to be interesting to see how much cover is left on the landscape. Quite the drought we are having over here and im guessing most of the crp fields will be gone.

Attachments

• Birthday Hunt.jpg
    Birthday Hunt.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Bowman.jpg
    Bowman.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
You all sound like you got a plan. After 0-35 big game draw for me and 0-25 for the wife, chukar is all I have left, but that's a lot!

I would like to hook up with someone from the Midwest for pheasants in the next few years.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, my buddy and I would regularly take 72-96 roosters a year. That Huntin is done.

I would gladly show you a good few days chukar hunting this year or next as a "down payment" on a pheasant hunt.

I'm not an expert chukar hunter but did take 93 last year and got snowed out the last month, just couldn't get to my spots.

krohboy

WKR
Looking forward to getting out this year. I've been training my springer all summer. He will be 8 months old right around season.

RBNM

FNG
I'm so ready for some birds this year. Grouse opener for me is in two days. I've got some high country grouse and some desert quail on my mind.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I'll be out on the high plains for the sharptail opener. Going to be a short hunt as hot as it's going to be.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took moose out for his first "hunt". We went to my hunting partners dairy farm for some dove action. He did awesome!
37080499112_094b55ec2a_k.jpg

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I got a single sharptail last week. Numbers this year are not looking for them. Might wait until the real cold snap gets here for chukar/huns and hope numbers are better

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
We are heading to Kansas and Nebraska sometime between November and January. From what I read quail numbers are fantastic! Can't wait. We've got an English pointer, GSP, and a black lab so the bases are covered! Starting off with some released pheasants on public land Sunday.

Headed out tomorrow to check some local quail spots. I've got 3 mutts(6 yr old Springer, 3yr old Setter that still has some pretty green moments, and a yr old Pointer out of some really good stock) that I try to keep in the birds as much as I can. I used to be a huge waterfowler, hence the name, but I haven't shot a duck in a couple of years. Really lost interest for some unbeknownst reason.

I'd really like to make it to Oklahoma/KS for some bobs before the numbers tank. And would love a trip to the Dakotas and/or Idaho for a multiple species hunt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
Headed out tomorrow to check some local quail spots. I've got 3 mutts(6 yr old Springer, 3yr old Setter that still has some pretty green moments, and a yr old Pointer out of some really good stock) that I try to keep in the birds as much as I can. I used to be a huge waterfowler, hence the name, but I haven't shot a duck in a couple of years. Really lost interest for some unbeknownst reason.

I'd really like to make it to Oklahoma/KS for some bobs before the numbers tank. And would love a trip to the Dakotas and/or Idaho for a multiple species hunt.

Where did you get your EP pup, my pups parents are from there, Cody McNeil's dogs are my dogs parents but a guy from Artesia is who whelped them. Cody's dogs have a pretty good pedigree too, I think many of the EP's from Cruces come from Wrangler kennel stock.

I also plan on hitting Kansas for some pheasant and quail, I can't wait to get my pup out as much as possible for his first season, don't know how many birds I'll actually get to shoot but going to get after it.

Where did you get your EP pup, my pups parents are from there, Cody McNeil's dogs are my dogs parents but a guy from Artesia is who whelped them. Cody's dogs have a pretty good pedigree too, I think many of the EP's from Cruces come from Wrangler kennel stock.

I also plan on hitting Kansas for some pheasant and quail, I can't wait to get my pup out as much as possible for his first season, don't know how many birds I'll actually get to shoot but going to get after it.

Just posted on the NM thread that your pup looks familiar. Mine is out of that same litter. She's an Lemon/White female. I hunt with Cody a little bit and the guy, Dwain, that whelped them out. We had our first kid in March, so my dog training halted from then until a couple of weeks ago. I'm finally getting mine on some birds this weekend for the first time.

JPD350

WKR
LOL that's very cool, lets see a pic of her! congrats on being a Dad too!

I've been pretty active trying to get Trapper ready for his first hunting season, I have never had this type of driven dog before, LOL I thought I was going to train him but it was me who needed the training, I am coming along slowly! the one thing I did well was putting him on lots of wild quail.

I can promise you, these dogs are going to have more drive than almost anything you've seen before. I've hunted with the site and dam dogs, and they are something else. I don't have any recent pictures of her, but this was her a few months ago.

And thanks... Daddy-hood has been the best thing ever!
287bb870dcec0c70cc3f53f6aab7d62c.jpg
e838ee55aa79d752bf4b9a0361d42e74.jpg
f5bf76ffd130b072ec243d5952fbb322.jpg
a1efeedad200145625f92053eae1b579.jpg

krohboy

WKR
Got out this afternoon for an hour. This was the first hunt with my new springer spaniel and I could not be happier with how he performed.

Could I shoot straight I would have limited out.

1396967cd3eedf50e482cb0f0aef7281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk