Post Thanks / Like

Anyone looking forward to 17-18 upland season?

Gotta whip my Britts into shape, but im looking forward to sharptails, huns/chuks, maybe a phez, and quail in 17-18. My 16-17 was pretty crappy due to twins arriving a few months early, but I did hunt sharpies a fair bit.

Hope to have them tuned up by December for a road trip to Texas to see Mr. Bob White.

Anyone else stoked? Plans? Its never too early to talk birds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to it as it's going to be my first serious year hunting birds since I was in high school, about 10 years ago. My GSP is 7 months and I can't wait to get him out.

He spent all day with me on the mountain today in Idaho for an archery shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brock A; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:01 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYM...7va7TobgUIBpDQ

Akers Steel Targets - Rokslide Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking forward to some bird hunting thsi fall / winter - have a young Drahthaar that will make it more fun as we see what she wants to learn and do!

plans? Hope to get up north some to chase grouse/woodcock early (late sept/early oct),,,,heading to ND in late october but that is mainly a duck hunt,,,

it will likely be 2018-2019 when I get serious - have plans for me and her to head west / midwest to chase pheasant, chukar, grouse, whatever!

Post Thanks / Like
    September- Maybe a bird or two if the situation arises in Alaska (every 1-3 year trip)
    Early October- Saskatchewan waterfowl and grouse (annual trip)
    Late October- North Dakota waterfowl first and pheasants to round out the fun (annual trip)
    November, December- South Dakota and Nebraska waterfowl (within 3 hours of home) and pheasants when not duck hunting. (Several days per week)
    January, February- Nebraska geese. Maybe Kansas. (couple days a week)

So yes... I love shooting birds. I'm always excited for it. Upland and Waterfowl.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am but it is going to be the first year with out my first dog so that is kind of a bummer but my kid is 12 and we will hit waterfowl and pheasants hard this year. I still have an 8 year old lab that goes like he is a pup so i know he is ready to go

Post Thanks / Like
    Always look forward to upland season. For me, everything else is just filler until bird season starts. Start with some hunting preserve pheasants just to get things going and then Nevada for chuckar and quail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upland bird hunting is my favorite. I am getting back into bowhunting this year after a few years off, but pheasant hunting is still my favorite.

October - a couple weekends in Minnesota chasing pheasants
    November - pheasants in Iowa and a trip to Kansas
    December - pheasants in Iowa and possibly an extended weekend in Kansas
    January - pheasants in Iowa and 2 extended trips to Kansas

Just reading this thread really gets the juices flowing. I have a springer named Doc. We usually keep a pretty consistent training schedule all year. Training and bird work is just plain fun.

Attachment 53133

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely looking forward to this years bird season. Had a great season last year, this will be season 12 for my lab and season one for my 8 mo old drahthaar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEHunter - we must have had the same idea,,,,you were just earlier than me,,,,my lab Brandy turns 12 this month and I have a 3 month old Drahthaar,,,,,,looking forward to it

Post Thanks / Like
    My next dog might be a drathaar or gwp. Once my two britts are gone, I'm going to only one dog, and waterfowl would be fun to get into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I can't wait. I moved to a new state (Washington) this year, so I've got a lot of exploring to do.

Some GWP motivation for ya from the past couple seasons:
    IMG_3083.jpgIMG_0740.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0208.jpg20151016_154506.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My good buddy is 9 years old.
    Skipped a elk/mule deer trip this year cause I'm trying to get as many days as I can with him this year.
    There's partridge, pheasants and trout in serious trouble this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our family added a Pudlepointer from Tall Timber Pudelpointers this spring. He has been a ton of fun and I am working with the local NAVHDA group to see if we can get him trained up. Hoping to chase some birds with him this fall. Being a versatile dog, the end goal is see if we can get him to retrieve some ducks as well.

Due to my wife's health issues and having kids in the house I decided to add bird hunting to the mix to increase my days afield. Bird hunting can be done in shorter trips and its easier to drag kids along. Its been a fun transition in our house.
    #gunnerpp • Instagram photos and videos
    Matt Wymer
    Rokslide