What are the best waders for duck hunting?

MAXLWIE

FNG
I am looking for high quality waders made with real rubber that will last me for a very long time. Can anyone recommend a specific model or brand? I already have boots from Le Chameau, which is a great brand, but I wonder if there are any American brands that offer a high quality product.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
Weird but some of the best ones that I have had are some 400gr Redhead neoprene ones that are going on 10yrs old.

I also use a pair of 400 Cabelas 800gr Cabelas and their supermags 1600. All of these are sometimes at a different neoprene thickness. Best luck though have been with the 400Gr Redheads and the 800Gr Cabelas. My friend also has the 1600 supermags and down by the bridge of the foot in the boot area developed a crack which shouldn't of happened.

I will punch a hole in the waders and have to patch them prior to wearing them out more than likely. With a cabelas within minutes of my house I purchase 90% of the waders from their bargain cave when they have them on clearance. (main reason why I wear Cabelas brand)

blackdawg

WKR
Cabelas or Macks brands are hard to beat for their warranties, most of my waterfowling partners go through at least one pair each season. Most of those guys choose one out of their lines.I have tried most types and plan on returning to the neoprenes this year, the Lacrosse brand has held up for me, perhaps check out Arkansas hunting.net waterfowling forum. Lots of wader abuse occurs in that state each season.The Banded have a large following, I found they trap lots of water and I got a great leg workout a few days in the thick timber with them. You might have to test a few pairs to find your match, much like a good pair of mountain boots.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I am a big fan of the Banded non-insulated breathable waders. Probably the most expensive ones out there, but well worth it in my opinion. I used neoprene for years, but I was a sweaty mess after getting decoys put out. Switched to the non-insulated banded and enjoying hunts much more! I would compare it to the advent of Sitka's high end mountaineering type of clothing for backcountry mountain hunts over traditional cotton based hunting products.

btw, I keep expecting Sitka to come out with a set of waders to compliment their waterfowl line. I'm sure they will be $700 - $800 a pair though. Until then I will be happy in my banded waders.

Stein

FNG
Cheapest ones possible and replace them every other season.

duchntr

WKR
Simms g3 for warm weather and a set of heavy neoprenes for cold stagnant sets. That setup should cover you in all temp ranges.

I run the cabelas dry plus waders. A pair will last me about 5 seasons. Pretty inexpensive per year. I hunt about 40 days a year in temps from 70deg down to single digits. I just layer accordingly. The only time I would even consider going back to neoprene, (shudder), is if I was standing in crotch deep water all day. Besides that, breathables rule over neoprene. Most wader boots will crack and rot before the wader material fails. Therefore in my mind it is not necessary to pay super high dollar for them. Get your 5-6 seasons out of them and then move on to new ones. I am not easy on gear either.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
After buying a pair of Lacrosse once a year, I switched to Cabelas last year. I forgot which ones I have maybe instinct? They are the most expensive breathable layers they have in their brand, but I got them on one of their employee pricing sales for a song.

I went with them for the lifetime warranty. I’ve had to patch them in a spot where they ripped, but I believe cabelas will replace them if a seam starts to leak.

I also tried the LL Bean and liked them a lot, the boot just didn’t fit right for me. 10 was too small and 11 was too big.

Only lifetime warranty waders for me from now on.

The best waders I ever owned were the Cabela's warrior two, but those are no longer produced to my knowledge.

Last year I picked up a pair of frogg toggs waders for cheap. They've been surprisingly good and they're not cut to accommodate a massive beer belly.

willidru

WKR
I like the Norther Flight single strap 5mm neoprene with the lug sole boots. But partly depends on how you are hunting.

If you are sitting in water all day lug soles and neoprene are better in my opinion (just for keeping warm). Early season I like breathable. I used to run stocking foot when I was hunting refuges primarily. They weren't as warm, but when humping through the water beating people out to a spot I was a lot faster than in the lug soled boots.

OP
M

MAXLWIE

FNG
Thanks to all for the replies. I will start to look at all the brands recommended.

I have worn all types of waders. My favorite have become the banded red zones. I have two pair and use one as a back up. Mine always get sweaty and need a day of drying out before wearing them again if I'm hunting consecutive days. I also own a pair of banded black labels but haven't worn them much compared to the red zones

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Rogers Sporting Goods makes their own breathable wader worth looking at. Way cheaper than the Banded breathable and outstanding customer service/product from a reputable company.
I misunderstood your initial post as I thought you were looking for high quality rubber wader. If you own Le Chameau your not going to find that quality of rubber in any other boot for a wader. Lacrosse used to be king but years ago they outsourced their products and their quality pales in comparison to what it used to be. Good luck in your search but please consider Rogers breathable waders for a great product at a reasonable price.

Since duck hunting waders have to withstand a lot more than waders for fly fishing, the best chest waders for duck hunting are made from 3.5mm to 7mm neoprene.

Bootfoot Or Stockingfoot Waders

Stockingfoot waders rely on an extra pair of wading boots. While this can be beneficial for fly fishing, extra boots are not really necessary for duck hunting. While fly fishing takes place in crystal clear streams, it is almost guaranteed that you will constantly encounter deep mud holes during a hunt. Therefore you want something sturdy and easy to clean hence the best duck hunting waders are bootfoot.

There is no point in comparing $250 waders to $100 waders and that is why I picked the best waders for duck hunting in each price range, starting from low price to high price.