All my upland hunters out there, which shotgun?

NDGuy

WKR
I am looking at possibly purchasing a new shotgun for upland. I currently have a 12 ga. SX3 which works great just a tad heavy. I looked at the Montefeltro and Ultralight and both look and feel awesome. I am a lefty so that is making me lean towards the Monte. Those who have one or both how do you like them?

Any others I should be looking at? I want the price under $1,500. I am open to over and unders as well. Mostly hunting pheasants, grouse, and partridge in ND.

Thanks!

willidru

WKR
I am partial to my A400, I'm not sure if you can hit the $1500 price point. I always thought the SX3 was on the lighter side for a 12ga. Have you thought of going to a 20 ga?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I am partial to my A400, I'm not sure if you can hit the $1500 price point. I always thought the SX3 was on the lighter side for a 12ga. Have you thought of going to a 20 ga?

That was my thought was either a 20 UL or Monte. I am curious of the kick on those if you stick with a 12.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have recoil sensitivity issues..pretty serious actually. The direct acting shotguns with the Benelli system kick like a mule. Last fall I sold my tricked out Berettas and bought the new V3 Remington. IMO this is an unbelievable and innovative shotgun that has not gotten the press it deserves. Softest and most reliable gas auto I have ever owned, and I have owned them all. The gas system is incredibly simple and innovative. I really don't think fouling will ever result in a jam, unlike all the slip ring on magazine tube systems. Truly deserves a look and at about $750 it is half the price of many.

wseidel

WKR
I was in your situation about three years ago and looked at all the major brands including Browning, Benelli, Winchester, Remington, and some not so well known brands. Then I discovered the Fabarm shotguns (made in Italy) - my first glance was their over and under (ELOS Deluxe)...but it didn't fit me well. Then I heard about and finally handled one of their new 4LS auto-loading shotguns. Light, high build-quality, innovative design (easy breakdown and cleaning) and, yes, beautiful wood. After researching and reading numerous incredibly positive reviews by gun "experts", I purchased a Grey Hunter. At the time, I was able to purchase it for just over $1300 so it may be at the top edge of your budget. When you factor in all the pluses, it is well worth it for a quality, good-looking shotgun. My experience thus far has been great and it should be on your "must see" list before you settle for something else...I'm glad I did. Hope this helps...

SHOTGUNS - FABARM USA

I have a bunch of shotguns but the only one that gets any real time in the field is my Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen which was somebody else's before it became mine. You might expand your thinking and searching to include older guns, just a thought. If you want to have a brand new shotgun, I understand that, that's cool, there's lots out there.

NEhunter

WKR
Look at the Benelli ethos in the blued version. Looks like they can be had just a bit over 1500 on gunbroker. I used the ethos all last season and it was great for all day carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is will throw in a vote for benelli m2s.

We did the Pepsi challenge a few years back with a pheasant hunting crew and all shot each other's guns at the end of the day. Remington, beretta, about a 3 more semis. 8 of 9 guys liked the recoil on my benelli the most.

I have a pair of them that I have used the hell out of. For a light gun, I find them soft shooting with the comfort tech stock. I have put 200 Shells through them in an afternoon and felt fine. I clean them ever february 29th or so and they always go boom.

Under 6 pounds and the field versions are not pretty but can be had for $1100. Under a $1000 used. They also come in 20 gauge or you could go up to the new sbe3 if you want a Bit more weight and what I hear is even softer recoil.

slvrslngr

WKR
Take a look at the LH Benelli M2, they come in 20ga. Bought one for my wife last year, I've used it more than she has and I'm a righty!

CpO2pUy.jpg

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Take a look at the LH Benelli M2, they come in 20ga. Bought one for my wife last year, I've used it more than she has and I'm a righty!

CpO2pUy.jpg

Great picture, I am leaning towards a nice wood stock gun tho. I have been checking out some older M1s with wood stock they are a nice looking shotgun for the money.

I am really leaning towards the Monte in 12 ga.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
depends on gauge - I will assume 12 for now,,,,,,

semis
Benelli Ultralight
Browning A5 (new version)

both lightweight and handle well (for me)

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I handled multiple versions of the benelli and beretta 20 gauge autos and I went with the Montefeltro. A big part of my decision was how it looked and pointed for me. I like the classic look of the Montefeltro vs the Beretta. Now, I’ve shot the Berretta and it’s an awesome gun. It kicks less and is heavier (I’m pretty sure on the heavier, but not certain). I also shoot a Benelli SBE II for ducks and love it. Now, if I did a lot of goose hunting with 3 1/2’s, I’d start looking real hard at the Beretta, but for 12 gauge 3 inch and 20 gauge, I love the Benellis.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a franchi affinity last year and I love it. It is basically a Benelli M2 except cheaper. It even says benelli on the receiver.

topher89

WKR
I have a Beretta A300 which fits into the midrange price-wise. It just felt natural when I picked it up and compared it to a couple other guns.

I have shot the Benelli Ultralight in 20 and loved it.

AdamW

WKR
I have a Montefeltro. I bought it in college because 1) I wanted a Benelli auto and 2) it was nice to look at. It fits me okay and overall I have no real complaints, but I'm not as in love with it as I thought I would be. Benelli does make a nice shotgun though, no doubt about that.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Didn’t read any of the other posts but for “easy” upland...field type hunting, get a nice beretta over under in 20ga. I bought one a few years back and I freaking love it. It feels so good in my hands. If I’m hunting wild chukar I use my beater semi auto and I have a SBE for waterfowl. The o/u is a blast on clays too!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I ended up getting a Franchi Instinct L at my local Scheels for $699.99 (849.99 regular). It was the stock version that came in a cardboard box instead of a case. It also only came with 2 chokes, no fiber optic sight and the receiver is just regular steel instead of case hardened. Other than that it is the same as the regular L that goes for $1100-1200 so I thought that was a heck of a deal.

Brought it out last weekend and shot a couple birds, I am happy with the purchase.

I have a mossberg 500, and a Stoeger 3000. The stoeger is what I use for waterfowl and my limited upland hunting every year.

As others have said, I would like to get a good 20 gauge o/u in the future.