A few limb chickens

slvrslngr

WKR
Took the pup out for our first day on birds this season. Found enough grouse to keep things interesting and the blueberries are thick! My poor girl tore her feet up pretty bad so she got some duct tape boots to get back to the truck. Was a fun day except for the foot issues, she'll be laid up for a few days.

3TExGbH.jpg

ttOhSoF.jpg

A6lYTd2.jpg

Congrats!

The dog and I will be out looking for them the next couple weekends. I have yet to find one while actually hunting them but I ran into a bunch turkey hunting this spring. I'm hoping they're roughly in the same area, it seems like similar weather conditions.

What elevation were you at?

The last one I killed a few weeks ago was around 8500'.

OP
S

slvrslngr

WKR
I'm not sure what the elevation was, we found most the birds right at the edge of alpine though.

ORHunter

WKR
Nice work Kai! Sorry to hear about the feet though.

She sure has a lot of the same white patches that Trekker has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
S

slvrslngr

WKR
Nice work Kai! Sorry to hear about the feet though.

She sure has a lot of the same white patches that Trekker has.

Thanks! We've been getting out a bit for pheasants too. The white feet and chest made her stand out in her litter, one of the reasons I chose her. Seems to be fairly common but random in PP's.

How's Trekker doing this year? Hope you've been getting him out!

ORHunter

WKR
Thanks! We've been getting out a bit for pheasants too. The white feet and chest made her stand out in her litter, one of the reasons I chose her. Seems to be fairly common but random in PP's.

How's Trekker doing this year? Hope you've been getting him out!
He's doing pretty good. We've been out after planted pheasants at a release site. 1st day out he bumped 2 birds, 2nd day out he bumped 1 bird and the last time out he bumped 0 so I hope that means we are making progress. His potential exceeds my training ability haha.

I plan on getting him after some wild birds in the next few weeks if we can find some over East.
1a52bbc0f3cdb1f05056851d0b19a590.jpg
175e42c4b786410f4a15a3f1dd77f30e.jpg
c00b0aecebec18b0f4446bb5fbf55975.jpg

OP
S

slvrslngr

WKR
Nice job Trekker! I hear you about ability exceeding training, I am a rank amateur as far as training and haven't tapped into her full potential. Kai can be overly enthusiastic, missing and bumping birds. I've learned to hunt her downwind as she stays closer and holds point better. I know that's contrary to conventional wisdom, but it works for us.