Cast n Blast Hunts?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
KInda trying to possibly research an interesting "cast n blast" hunt for myself and a couple buddies. Any recommendations? Would like to do something like a pheasant hunt and trout fishing combo type. Trying to look at south dakota but am open to other options, if you have any info PM me or post here if you feel free

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I've been to ND a few times would be a great option for that pretty cheap DIY style. You could waterfowl hunt, upland, and fish for walleye and perch. If the private land isn't posted you can go on it. You can hunt sharpies and pheasants. Large variety of waterfowl everytime I'm up there. On my trip up there last year we got everything from Swans to Canvasbacks. You need to get a Swan tag if you want to take a Swan. I haven't fished up there yet but I know just about any body of water with any depth has perch and walleye and potentially pike. Usually the hotels are mostly filled with hunters and fisherman.

If you do your part in scouting you should have good duck shoots most mornings we typically limit most mornings with geese mixed in some days are slower just depends. It takes work though so you get what you put into it. For geese your primarily shooting Canadas and Snows with a few cacklers, specs etc. When you get into good areas you can pick and choose the ducks you want to take. Upland birds tend to be in pockets.

Last edited:

slvrslngr

WKR
How about a steelhead/smallmouth-chukar hunt on the Snake River? Or Deschutes or Grande Ronde?

FreeRange

WKR
Only because you said "interesting" but late winter you can hunt Northern Baja Mexico for Black Brant (sea geese, very good eating birds) and fish for saltwater species within a few hours of the San Diego airport and border out of the same town and up closer to the border there is great pheasant, quail and dove hunting. All of this is guided but you can bring your own shotguns.

KInda trying to possibly research an interesting "cast n blast" hunt for myself and a couple buddies. Any recommendations? Would like to do something like a pheasant hunt and trout fishing combo type. Trying to look at south dakota but am open to other options, if you have any info PM me or post here if you feel free

You could do a southern NM dove hunt and then head to the Gila to try for a Gila trout, or drive to northern NM for browns/rainbows/etc. There is supposed to be some decent grouse hunting up in northern NM, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of it.

Or an Arizona quail/trout trip.

KurtR

WKR

If you want to fish walleyes in the morning on lake oahe and shoot roosters after noon the first 2 weeks of pheasant season in Sodak is the place to be. Pm if you want more info.