really stupid shotgun question. REMINGTON 11-87

boom

WKR
this is a game bird situation..i am not a shotgun guy. when i do chase flying birds, i use a O/U shotgun.

i am going Sandhill Crane hunting. i only have one suitable shotgun...the Remmy 11-87. it is my typical turkey gun. i plan on unscrewing the turkey choke and going with a modified choke. shooting #2 steel shot..3" shells..as recommended by our outfitter.

here is the stupid question. the gun has the stock green magazine stop "stick" in it. i've seen it with my own eyes. with that OEM green stick..i can only get one 3-inch round in the chamber and one in the tube..i cant get the third round in. (this is NOT even a big deal while turkey hunting)..i'll need that third shot.

i have a Browning Citori super-steel O/U that takes 3" shells if i only want to shoot two rounds..(for the challenge).

what gives with the stock OEM green stick? i cant be expected to trim it..right? i've never loaded 2 3/4 rounds in it..but i suspect i can load the gun fully.

colonel00

WKR
That "stick" is the plug. That is odd that it only allows one 3" round in the magazine. Can you measure it to see how long it is? If you take the plug out, how many shells can you fit in the magazine?

Also, maybe take a photo of how the plug is oriented with the spring and follower in the magazine. Just wondering if maybe something is placed incorrectly.

Anyway, you can shorten it if necessary or even make your own plug out of something. You just need to be able to show that your gun cannot hold more than the allowed number of shells. I'm assuming 3 shells (1 in chamber, 2 in magazine) total as that is pretty standard.

One other question, do you know for sure that this is the plug that came with the gun? I ask because I think there are longer plugs for guns with larger magazines. Stands to reason that maybe you have a plug that was meant for another gun.

Last edited:
I wanted to echo the above post. It could be possible that the plug is not meant for your specific shotgun. I have A Benelli M2 and unlike many other shotguns mine only holds 3 rounds in the magazine, so my plug is smaller because I only have to stop one extra round from entering the the magazine. The easiest thing to do would probably be to make your own. You just have to make sure your gun can't fit more than two 2 3/4" shells into. Something as simple as a pencil can do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I made some extra plugs out of 3/8" or 1/2" (don't remember exact size) wood dowel and cut them to the specific length I need. You could always do that, it's cheap and easy. I just did it to have some extras in the various bins I take on hunting trips, in case I forget the green plastic one at home.

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, that sounds right. No obstructions in the magazine? Any chance you were trying to load 3.5" shells? Just trying to think of why you'd have issues.

Maybe take the plug out and try to load the shells. See if you feel anything hanging up anywhere.

OP
B

boom

WKR
Called Remington tech support. Comical.

I’m buying a Bennili first chance I get.

OP
B

boom

WKR

nothing really to explain..the dude didnt know much.

he did tell me to trim a millimeter at a time until i can get the third 3" shell in.. and to cut the actual green plug. he couldnt tell me if i will be able to get a 4th 2.75" shell if if i do..

i think i will start with 0.5".. tonight.

I've made plugs out of a plastic clothes hanger (friend didn't know about a plug for waterfowl, we were a long way from anywhere). You can use wooden dowels, but I was concerned with them coming apart in wet conditions.

In my experience, wildlife officers will check your gun with your ammo, so if you only have 3" shells on you, and only 2 of those fit into the magazine, you would be good to go. (again, just my experience, not legal advice)

colonel00

WKR
nothing really to explain..the dude didnt know much.

he did tell me to trim a millimeter at a time until i can get the third 3" shell in.. and to cut the actual green plug. he couldnt tell me if i will be able to get a 4th 2.75" shell if if i do..

i think i will start with 0.5".. tonight.

Hmm, well that still seems odd. So when you try to put the second 3" shell in, how far does it go in? That should kind of tell you how much you'd need to remove. Have you tried with 2.75" shells to see how they fit?

Also, you shouldn't be able to get a 3rd 2.75" shell in the magazine, much less a 4th. Maybe you were talking about 4 shells including the one in the chamber.

In my experience, wildlife officers will check your gun with your ammo, so if you only have 3" shells on you, and only 2 of those fit into the magazine, you would be good to go. (again, just my experience, not legal advice)
Not to discount your experience at all, but the Co's in my area have a little tube they stick in the magazine and it has tape that tells them go or no go. He has the potential to encounter either type of CO

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
Not to discount your experience at all, but the Co's in my area have a little tube they stick in the magazine and it has tape that tells them go or no go. He has the potential to encounter either type of CO

I agree with this statement, I've seen them use tubes in MN and CO.

Stupid question and I'm not even sure they make one, but you are sure your gun is a 3" chamber and not 2 3/4" only correct? Another stupid question, is there a limit on the number of rounds your gun can hold for sandhills? In Idaho the limitation only applies to waterfowl species so for example when hunting upland game you don't need a plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

boom

WKR
Stupid question and I'm not even sure they make one, but you are sure your gun is a 3" chamber and not 2 3/4" only correct? Another stupid question, is there a limit on the number of rounds your gun can hold for sandhills? In Idaho the limitation only applies to waterfowl species so for example when hunting upland game you don't need a plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moot point as it turns out. The birds were about as challenging to hit as a floating Mylar balloon. A single shot would work.

Next year I’m gonna try to hit one with my bow.

VernAK

WKR
Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

I hunt cranes a lot here in AK and we have to plug our shotguns
as we can expect geese at any time....

I have the green Rem plug in my 87 and I think I put it in wrong one time and has this issue. Maybe YouTube and install video or pull it out and see if there is a different way it could poss go in

I'm chasing cranes this weekend for the first time. Very excited. Where'd you go, how'd you do, and how'd they taste?

OP
B

boom

WKR
I'm chasing cranes this weekend for the first time. Very excited. Where'd you go, how'd you do, and how'd they taste?

i was near Lubbock. we limited both days. the first day it was all of 15 minutes. i shot a stray goose.

and the Sandhill Crane were the best tasting meat ever. for sure the best, i've killed.