Bay Area Duck Hunting

colonel00

WKR
After taking too many photos of some beautiful Cinnamon Teal and Shovelers last spring which we don't get in the Midwest (some shovelers but not like out here) I figured I might try to whack a few ducks this winter. I'm down on the south end of the bay (Milpitas area) and there are apparently some refuge areas that I can hunt over by Alviso. Anybody have any info to share on those areas or anywhere else in the Bay Area? I'll probably just be limited to places I can walk into as I don't have a boat.

Thanks

Poser

WKR
No info, but I've been told that you can duck hunt in the bay within a line of sight of PETA's headquarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After taking too many photos of some beautiful Cinnamon Teal and Shovelers last spring which we don't get in the Midwest (some shovelers but not like out here) I figured I might try to whack a few ducks this winter. I'm down on the south end of the bay (Milpitas area) and there are apparently some refuge areas that I can hunt over by Alviso. Anybody have any info to share on those areas or anywhere else in the Bay Area? I'll probably just be limited to places I can walk into as I don't have a boat.

Thanks

I think if you just go south a little and over Pacheco Pass , Los Banos and around there has some public land options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I think if you just go south a little and over Pacheco Pass , Los Banos and around there has some public land options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I've found some areas that are part of the Don Edwards Refuge that are huntable. The A units are right by me. When I was out taking photos last year, I could hear people shooting. I just don't know what to expect trying to hunt off of the levies and if you can wade into the water to retrieve a duck or if that is just a mess.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/R...Visitor_Activities/Waterfowl_Hunting/Map1.pdf

willidru

WKR
If you can get out to the wildlife refuges in Colusa or Los Banos you will find much better hunting and better tasting ducks. if you need to stay really close, there is always Grizzly Island

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for the input fellas. To be honest, this is more of a trophy venture than anything else. I can still whack some ducks at home and plan to do so. We just don't have Cinnamons at home and I've never seen shovelers like they are here. Of course, I don't want to waste anything but I'm not looking for a meat haul either.

My biggest challenge is I'm just out here for work living in an apartment. All my gear is at home so I can really only hunt with what I can bring on a plane or buy out here (but then I'd have to get it home at some point). I was just hoping there was a chance I could get into some birds and maybe get a nice one for the wall.

jvle95

FNG
If you haven't done so already check out the Don Edwards refuge webpage. It explains everything pretty clearly. Also there are areas that are not within the refuge that you can also hunt that are on the Sunnyvale / San Jose border near Alviso. There have been issues in the past where people feel you can not hunt within the high tide line of these levees but you may. You just can not hunt from the tops of the levees. This would be a walk in area. As far as wading in to retrieve birds, nope. The mud is nasty. Try and use wind to allow downed birds to blow towards you. A fishing pole with big ocean jig can be used to retrieve downed birds too. Good luck to you.