Colorado Grouse

fishslap

WKR
Took a long hike a couple of weeks ago to scout for 4th season deer. My little ruger bearcat came in handy shooting 22lr quiets. I should have spent some time looking for more but I had ground to cover. Picked up a couple of small deer and elk sheds to round out the haul.

grouse.jpg

deer shed.jpg

elk shed.jpg

Poser

WKR
I've been hunting them some as well. I've gone out mixed bag squirrel/grouse hunting. It's funny how many grouse you'll see when you are NOT hunting them
I made grouse n dumplings and then Used the leftover stock to make gumbo.

50085bb53738a81ae958df89188ac16a.jpg

e201bc5d0ae7a820cbcd39c26124820f.jpg

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Yea, I see a ton of them elk hunting but I don't take the time to mess with them. Next year I'm going to plan a few dedicated trips. Nice crop full of spruce needles. I should have cut mine open to see what it was munching on.

I'm assuming you're talking pine squirrels since Aberts isn't open yet. Have you tried to eat them? I cleaned one once and that was about as far as I could get. I'm planning on a serious squirrel hunt over Christmas on some property I own in Missouri. Greys and fox squirrel. I'll be using my scoped savage 22mag.

Dumplings sound good. I'll have to give it a try.

Poser

WKR
Yea, I see a ton of them elk hunting but I don't take the time to mess with them. Next year I'm going to plan a few dedicated trips. Nice crop full of spruce needles. I should have cut mine open to see what it was munching on.

I'm assuming you're talking pine squirrels since Aberts isn't open yet. Have you tried to eat them? I cleaned one once and that was about as far as I could get. I'm planning on a serious squirrel hunt over Christmas on some property I own in Missouri. Greys and fox squirrel. I'll be using my scoped savage 22mag.

Dumplings sound good. I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, I was hunting Pine Squirrels. They are tiny, fast and quiet compared to Eastern grey squirrels. I didn't really notice much of a different taste, though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yea, I see a ton of them elk hunting but I don't take the time to mess with them.
The last day of our elk hunt when we decided the basin was empty and we were heading out I got the green light for grouse. I also realized I need some more damn practice with my 22 pistol as I had the chance to limit out but instead brought home a single. ;)

I really would live a silenced 22 but don't feel like dealing with the tax stamp. I need to dedicate some more time on my slingshot to feel effective with that.

Davebuech

WKR
Took a couple in archery season while elk hunting. I won't pass the chance no matter what I'm hunting and usually I see the most when I'm hunting something else. Slingshot is tuned up and ready for gun season!

Davebuech

WKR
Hey Pods
I shoot sideways too, not an over the top kinda guy. Pretty darn accurate that way with some practice. I set up an old blanket on the clothesline for a backstop and an ammo catch. Usually when I get a flier it's usually due to the way I hold the pouch. If I am not careful with where I position it on my finger, (thumb is usually pretty easy) it will hang up a bit on the finger side on the release. Keeping the wrist at 90 degrees to the target through the shot and consistent anchor point also helps consistency and accuracy. Lots of practice helps too!

I have a Simple Shot scout, my hand is a little on the smaller side. PP are a little larger build and don't fit me as well but are nice slingshots none the less. Plus P bands for grouse and double Plus P for rabbits.

Got any tips? I'm using a side shooter pocket predator and shoot pretty well most of the time but get flyers here and there and I don't know what I did differently. I need to sort that out to really dial things in.