florida turkey quota hunt questions

swampokie

WKR
Can someone explain the draw system to me for florida turkey? Do the permits go to the highest preference point holders or is there a chance a first time applicant can draw? Is the any way to see a list of draw odds or success rates on these hunts? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm a Florida resident public land turkey hunter. 100% of the permits go to the highest points applicants. I don't believe Florida has draw odds. They did have hunter results on the website BUT it's not updated much and data isn't very accurate (no reporting method).

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
Thanks. Are there any of the permits that can be drawn without a long wait? I put in for two areas one of which I'm fairly familiar with the other not so much. Cant believe there isn't any way of getting at least an idea of draw odds.

I assume you want to hunt for Osceolas? If you don't mind me asking, what areas did you apply for? I'm not sure but I thought they limit Non-residents to 10% of the quota? That would make it much harder to draw tags in a higher demand WMA. PM me if you don't want to post details.

ddiwd33

Banned
I'm a Florida resident public land turkey hunter. 100% of the permits go to the highest points applicants. I don't believe Florida has draw odds. They did have hunter results on the website BUT it's not updated much and data isn't very accurate (no reporting method).

the draw system suck so hard, my brother lives in FL, and it was hard for him at first.

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
Found out I drew out for lake George wma april 12. Anyone out there ever hunted this wma or have any pointers? I have private land access to the north end of the wma. Will this help?

Bigsteak

FNG
I drew a quota hunt on my first application in the Raiford WMA so I know it is possible. What I don't know is anything about the unit except that it is relatively close to my home in Jax. According to the map that Florida FWC releases, this is just south of the apparent Osceola/Eastern turkey border although I had always heard that the border was much further south than that. I just hope there are birds there.

Every WMA has very different draw oods. In general it doesn't take particularly long to draw a hunt. And for many WMAs the quota is just for a portion of the season. Unfortunately you'll have to look at each WMA's brochure to dissect this information. I say all of this as a resident - I'm not sure how the nonresident draws work.

And you can't get an accurate idea about success rates, but you can get harvest numbers for WMAs that run check stations.
WMA Harvest Reports