Bird dog hernia recovery

idcuda

WKR
Anyone have experience with hernia surgery and recovery with their bird dog? My Brittany has one in her belly button area and I'm curious about how long she may be out of service if surgery is required. Luckily, it's not painful at all for her, but I do want to get it fixed asap, even if it means she'll miss out on most of the winter hunting.

jmez

WKR
Skin will heal in two weeks. The body wall, where the actual hernial is located will take about 60 days to fully heal. Problem with hunting too soon is that if it tears open then you are right back where you started.

They aren't dangerous to the dog and will be filled with fat. I would just wait until after the hunting season to have it fixed.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
Thanks for the info folks. It turns out that it wasn't a hernia, she had just impaled herself with something, and it was odd enough that it even had the vet baffled for a few days. Her body built up a fatty bubble around the object/wound (probably a stick or similar). It finally split open, drained, and it's mostly healed now. She just had to wear the cone of shame to keep from licking the wound. Long story short, we're hunting!