Whitetail hunt took a turn for a successful turkey harvest!

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
We decided to go out for an evening hunt for the hubby’s whitetail tag. No luck finding or locating a whitetail buck, but we did manage to locate a huge group of turkeys. I happened to have my turkey tag, the hubby didn’t purchase one, he looked at me and asked if I wanted to move in on them and try for a tom, well that was an easy answer! After sneaking around them, and getting up higher, I was able to get a shot on this beautiful tom, baby in tow and all! There really is something special about these hunts that the little one is with, that makes them so cool and memorable! My son is 1 and has already been on a successful antelope and turkey hunt! Kid loves being in his pack and outdoors!

Noe28QriaaJ-SiqElbaAi7X9MgWTcnb9WiTmuX3cnEqTEYhMoo-Xm9JTMRI9OP-zAd8Pa1p0dP9FgQticP_0TKc3MaTIv0gT5og9lYYsjq5iP5Tj1CH2QLgHrepHcwLUPnUUZEnJwg

DoQyU41OaUsQUFEtRqrEHgQxFpfz80xy-vmqhDUsYKbCU6HC0Z2YfkjsVhfUxcMzYlaGcbinJYLVwVefrbzWUkMS-94ty6qBggAwrp_OU6L_vDMd4M1Eab1gYSNM9QwIIL80Lb-dHw

FYEKhHqjh8iRVRJm4wxGMSU14OxdmZlTNBP12azvNPXPvTIX3H5e3iKJpgv8XMuAMIQxw9XlxnynzuZHseDXLJVA7M5z0YiLcv21J1h1CAVPLj_YLmQAIzFMI61FlzzZPU4NW0kQSA

gwhpH8DJcPjxeD3er6k5-pFBx9vISSCG0C53t_43MUL4D5d4EeF9mKEw_mQOt8toWECK0pz8Q6hOglMvpFqWHKvbUxKROazn2fQceAIGuWTFLmIci64xD6IdUt8qS_rYL2cbLgjmyQ

Grumman

WKR
Congrats that is awesome that you all went out together. I like his outfit I need to get my daughter something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats that is awesome that you all went out together. I like his outfit I need to get my daughter something like that.

Thanks it’s a down bunting from Patagonia but if you just google baby bunting they make several options some warmer than others. We even have an all fleece one too! They work great!

Nice! I haven't gotten to shoot a fall turkey in a few years. It irritates me that Colorado runs the season so early and short.

What did you shoot the bird with?

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I haven't gotten to shoot a fall turkey in a few years. It irritates me that Colorado runs the season so early and short.

What did you shoot the bird with?

Wyoming goes till the end of December it’s pretty nice. I actually shot it with my hunting rifle that my husband was carrying for his deer which is 7mm-08 placed it above the breast meat right through the vitals at 115yds. definitely overkill but didn’t have my shotgun so used what I had and just placed it right so it didn’t damage any breast meat.

vanish

WKR
Congratulations! Looks like a tasty bird!

No kidding! I was archery hunting CO Whitetails a couple weeks ago and was surrounded by turkeys. Would have been really nice to bring home a Thanksgiving tom.

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Looks like a tasty bird!.

The turkey Schnitzel was perfect! Meat eater has a great basic recipe for it and I just brined the breast in some spices couple hours before making the Schnitzel with it.

boom

WKR
shooting a turkey with a rifle looks like a good time!! it is also legal in texas. super surprising they just dont vaporize.

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
shooting a turkey with a rifle looks like a good time!! it is also legal in texas. super surprising they just dont vaporize.

Haha yeah it was pretty fun, and challenging to test my placement on such a small target without ruining any meat! I believe in Wyoming they say you just can’t shoot them with a .22 it’s too small of a caliber, but all others are allowed! Well if you ever get a chance I recommend it! it was a blast!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice. I wish we still had a fall turkey season. I've seen loads of 'em but we have not had a fall season in years.

Hall256

WKR
Congrats...it is great to see a whole family that can enjoy hunting togther.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk