AK Sooty Grouse.

boom

WKR
some might say i have a man-crush on Rinella..i dont. i do however appreciate that guy showing me some hunts i would have never imagined existed.

this year, checked off Sandhill Crane. yes they are delicious. not the most strenuous hunt, or the hardest bird to hit with a shotgun. next year..i think i'll try another hunt i never knew existed.

grouse!! i can hunt them here in the Sierras, but i cannot do it with a .22 rifle. i can with a .22 handgun, but to be honest..i'm more accurate with a bow. i kinda suck with a handgun. not good enough to plink a bird out of a high tree for sure.

this leaves me my annual trip with the wife. i could do a day trip hunting grouse without landing myself in the doghouse..

i look at the AK map and that place is gianormous!! i dont even know where to start. i'll call AK fish and game today if i can.
i'm gonna order my .22 rifle this week. this is gonna happen!! my wife knows two things: 1. i get the next vacation choice 2. i am buying this rifle to hunt grouse in AK.

i love that woman.

who has done it? and can anyone please give me a jumping off point besides sweet talking some game biologist over there?

I can't really help with grouse hunting Ak and I'm not real sure they have a whole bunch there. I've fished Sitka several times in the spring and don't recall hearing any drumming?? But Ptarmigan is the state bird and I do know they have some world class Ptarmigan hunting so that may be an option.

I did buy a new grouse gun this year though. .17 hmr. Fun, fun, fun and a great little grouse gun if you're not completely sold on the .22.

Ray

WKR
ADFG link

Another ADFG link

There is a guy over on the 24HrCF Alaska forums that regularly hunts them. He starts his season on back country touring skis when there is still a lot of snow up top.

The issue for you is that the season ends the week before tourist season starts. So, you will have to show up in late winter/early spring in Juneau or some other mainland town while the sidewalks are still rolled up. Problem is that all the tourist towns south of Juneau are on islands. The Game map shows that all the area has grouse, but after my trips down there for work, I doubt if the islands have much of a population that could be day hunted without locals only knowledge.

ptarmigan

FNG
I shoot lots of grouse and ptarmigan with my 10/22 and 22/45. What part of the state will you be in? The Denali Highway has some great scenery and ptarmigan hunting. Spruce grouse are all over the place. Pretty much everybody seems to hunt them with a .22 up here. I love eating ptarmigan that have been feeding on blueberries in the fall. One year I shot a few while on a moose hunt just to supplement the mountain house. There feathery feet and bellies were stained purple from being in the berries. Tasted just like mild venison to me.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I shoot lots of grouse and ptarmigan with my 10/22 and 22/45. What part of the state will you be in? The Denali Highway has some great scenery and ptarmigan hunting. Spruce grouse are all over the place. Pretty much everybody seems to hunt them with a .22 up here. I love eating ptarmigan that have been feeding on blueberries in the fall. One year I shot a few while on a moose hunt just to supplement the mountain house. There feathery feet and bellies were stained purple from being in the berries. Tasted just like mild venison to me.
That’s just it. Your state is so huge! It feels crazy looking at a map.

Hey. I can bring you lots of beer. Haha.

Boreal

WKR
They’re definitely here, and lots of places to find them. Trouble is the learning curve, people are pretty hesitant to give out the good bird spots they’ve discovered, so you have a lot of good hikes with a gun before you find your spot. FWIW, I picked up a 28 gauge that is awesome for ptarmigan and hares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any reason you can't hunt them in the Sierras with a shotgun? I hunt duskies (which I understand are close to a sooty) with both a rimfire rifle and a full choke 12 ga. and both are plenty serviceable. In either case, just be careful with shot placement. Head shots are best in terms of recovering the meat.

AKducks

FNG
wait.. are you just looking for Sooty Grouse? ie hooter or blue grouse?

Here is what you do:

Fly into Juneau, AK May 1. Rent Car, get hotel room, un pack.

Then go hiking up several trails (Mt McGinnis, Thunder Mountain, Treadwell Ditch, Dan Moller) and listen. You will hear a low lout "hoot, hoot hoot" you then follow this hooting until you figure out what tree the grouse is in. you then pull your binos out and start searching, you look up and down looking for that dang bird. when you find him you pull out your .22 and shoot him.

Honestly I love hooter hunting. The weather is great, generally high chance of success, and the birds are big and taste delicious!

Other note: Juneau has a ton of touristy things for you and your wife as well. you can go to the glacier, go fishing, check out DIPAC, the Tram. a whole host of activities. If you fly fish you could go look for steelhead (should probably do a guided trip the streams on the road system are small and get hit really hard).

OP
B

boom

WKR

Here is what you do:

Then go hiking up several trails (Mt McGinnis, Thunder Mountain, Treadwell Ditch, Dan Moller) and listen. You will hear a low lout "hoot, hoot hoot" you then follow this hooting until you figure out what tree the grouse is in. you then pull your binos out and start searching, you look up and down looking for that dang bird. when you find him you pull out your .22 and shoot him.

Honestly I love hooter hunting. The weather is great, generally high chance of success, and the birds are big and taste delicious!

Other note: Juneau has a ton of touristy things for you and your wife as well. you can go to the glacier, go fishing, check out DIPAC, the Tram. a whole host of activities. If you fly fish you could go look for steelhead (should probably do a guided trip the streams on the road system are small and get hit really hard).

I’m gonna do this! If you’re around; drop by for free California wine.

OP
B

boom

WKR

Here is what you do:

Thanks friend. My wife just green-lit the trip. I was gonna go this May, but my brother asked me to wait a year so he can save up vacation and money. Okay. Next may!