info on North central kansas

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, me and dad are heading to Kansas for the last couple weeks of the Bird hunting season. From My research so far I'm thinking north central (smokey hills) and possibly Lincoln county. We'd like to have as many species as possible to hunt so this seams like the general area. Any input out there? Also trying to find a place to stay if anyone knows of any places to check out or which town I should look in. Thanks In advance!

jofes

WKR
Are you looking for something aside form quail and pheasant? from hunting around the Pratt area as well as south central ks, quail are waayyyy up and pheasant are about the same as last year if not down a little, so not too many. There are far more pheasant out west from my experience but few quail.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
So we are looking to shoot quail mostly seeing that we have never hunted them along with prairie chickens. We have hunted pheasants quite a bit so they will just be a plus. From my research so far im seeing that north central should be the best bet to find quail and chickens in the same general area?

Trial153

WKR
I seen more quail this fall in KS then i have seen the previous 4 years combined. Seeing them mostly in pastures.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
That's great to hear! What region did you hunt if you don't mind me asking?

Roy68

WKR
We Ranch in Lincoln, Ellsworth, and Marion County. I also spend a lot of time in the grass country of Saline, McPherson, & Dickinson counties. Quail numbers have been on the increase for the last few years and this year I've seen good numbers. It is not uncommon to bust multiple coveys on the same ground. With that being said most of the quail I've seen have been in pastures. We do not farm outside of forages for our cattle so I cannot speak to the quality of crop residue fields (stubble & fallow). As far as chickens go I see them a couple of times a week in the morning or evenings as they move from one place to the other.

Pheasant numbers are up but still dismal in comparison to what it used to be in this part of the state. The further west you go the better the pheasant numbers.

Not sure where you are traveling from. Ellsworth has a hotel. However you could stay in Salina, Hays, or Russell and be within a short drive of Lincoln county. Lincoln, Ellsworth, Russell, Ellis, Osbourne, & Rush counties have a lot of Walk-in Opportunities. If that is of interest I would lean towards lodging closer to those areas so you spend more time hunting and less time driving.

ArcGIS Web Application

If you want something a little different than the average hotel, check out the Midland in Wilson.

Midland Railroad Hotel | Wilson, Kansas| Home

If you are into waterfowl, you will find good duck numbers, and the geese should really be moving in starting later this week.

One side note if you hunt Kansas regularly there has a been a change that is effective Jan 1, 2018 where Hunting license are now good for 365 days from the date of purchase. Where they use to expire on Dec, 31 of the year purchased.

365-Day Licenses / License/Permits / KDWPT - KDWPT

Jdog

WKR
I was over by Arlington & Pratt yesterday with a one year old lab on his first trip ever.

Hunted lots of WIHA as well as WMA land--hunted all day til sunset.

I was very impressed with the habitat--tall switch grass, plum thickets--lots of cover for them, etc. Some near milo and cut corn fields. Reminded me of areas I have hunted in years past in SD. Saw lots of bird sign but no birds while hunting. Little beds and droppings. Not sure why we didn't even bump a bird by accident...?

Overall a success for Willy & I. But dang, I gotta get him on some wild birds...

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 9C934E62-42DC-4887-B7B0-0AE1D5C9E368.jpg
    9C934E62-42DC-4887-B7B0-0AE1D5C9E368.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
We Ranch in Lincoln, Ellsworth, and Marion County. I also spend a lot of time in the grass country of Saline, McPherson, & Dickinson counties. Quail numbers have been on the increase for the last few years and this year I've seen good numbers. It is not uncommon to bust multiple coveys on the same ground. With that being said most of the quail I've seen have been in pastures. We do not farm outside of forages for our cattle so I cannot speak to the quality of crop residue fields (stubble & fallow). As far as chickens go I see them a couple of times a week in the morning or evenings as they move from one place to the other.

Pheasant numbers are up but still dismal in comparison to what it used to be in this part of the state. The further west you go the better the pheasant numbers.

Not sure where you are traveling from. Ellsworth has a hotel. However you could stay in Salina, Hays, or Russell and be within a short drive of Lincoln county. Lincoln, Ellsworth, Russell, Ellis, Osbourne, & Rush counties have a lot of Walk-in Opportunities. If that is of interest I would lean towards lodging closer to those areas so you spend more time hunting and less time driving.

ArcGIS Web Application

If you want something a little different than the average hotel, check out the Midland in Wilson.

Midland Railroad Hotel | Wilson, Kansas| Home

If you are into waterfowl, you will find good duck numbers, and the geese should really be moving in starting later this week.

One side note if you hunt Kansas regularly there has a been a change that is effective Jan 1, 2018 where Hunting license are now good for 365 days from the date of purchase. Where they use to expire on Dec, 31 of the year purchased.

365-Day Licenses / License/Permits / KDWPT - KDWPT

Thank you for all the info! Yes we would rather something a little more comfortable than a hotel but we'll stay at one if it comes down to it. This Is our very first trip to Kansas, we've only hunter south Dakota before this and we are pumped to check it out. I will look into this info you gave tonight. Thanks again!

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
So I found a place called salt creek hunt club in Barnard Kansas. Seems like a cool place to stay and in good hunting country. Has anyone heard of it or hunted in the area??

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled into kansas today! Now for chasing birds the next 9 days behind my 3 favorite bird dogs. Let the games begin!

treyb

FNG
Would love to hear some details of how your trip went. I am planning a trip to the same general area this coming fall and am anxious to hear what you found in terms of bird numbers and access.