Oregon spring turkey

mcdogdoc

FNG
Hi everybody,
First wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking a bit for a while. Grew up hunting upland bird in Hawaii and chasing pigs, but have gotten into big game hunting over the past few years. I'm an Army veteran living in Portland and basically am into hunting any chance I get. Now that big game season is over I'm gearing up for spring turkey again. I gave it a shot last year with no luck. Found some pockets of public land down in Melrose unit (saw hens but no toms) as well as North Bank which was just a hike with my shotgun (but nice country with lots of whitetails). Not looking for honey holes but really advise on an approach. I'm not sure if it's worth giving White River a shot with all the pressure, heading down to Umpqua NF or going somewhere totally different. I'm willing to even do backpack hunts and getting away. I've also thought of trying out southern Washington too but not sure if that'd be much more different than White River. Thanks in advance!

White River does get a lot of pressure early, but pretty dead the second week on. Just get off the road more than 100 yards and even better. Best areas (numbers wise) are down by Medford but really need to be aware of private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mcdogdoc

FNG
White River does get a lot of pressure early, but pretty dead the second week on. Just get off the road more than 100 yards and even better. Best areas (numbers wise) are down by Medford but really need to be aware of private property.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the late response on my part. I'm going to start scouting much earlier this year. Appreciate it!

WRO

WKR
Hi everybody,
First wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking a bit for a while. Grew up hunting upland bird in Hawaii and chasing pigs, but have gotten into big game hunting over the past few years. I'm an Army veteran living in Portland and basically am into hunting any chance I get. Now that big game season is over I'm gearing up for spring turkey again. I gave it a shot last year with no luck. Found some pockets of public land down in Melrose unit (saw hens but no toms) as well as North Bank which was just a hike with my shotgun (but nice country with lots of whitetails). Not looking for honey holes but really advise on an approach. I'm not sure if it's worth giving White River a shot with all the pressure, heading down to Umpqua NF or going somewhere totally different. I'm willing to even do backpack hunts and getting away. I've also thought of trying out southern Washington too but not sure if that'd be much more different than White River. Thanks in advance!
I see them all the time in the silvies around yellow jacket and down on the south fork by dayville.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk