Any thoughts on turkey vests?

OP
ezmorningrebel
i've run the nomad for two weeks now and while i think it's a fine vest i'm still on the fence so i ordered an alps grand slam last night. i realized the other day that i'm passing up good spots with cover to find a big tree to lean against so i'm going to give this kickstand thing a whirl.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
The combo works well for long distance foot powered hunting.Light and bullet proof.
Sounds like you learned a lot on your hunt.Good luck next time.

The new Tenzing TV18 I picked up last week is a big improvement from my Ol Tom vest. I used it on 1 hunt so far. The hunt consisted of walking around about 6 hours and not finding anything. In addition to standard calls, water and snacks, I carried a heavy avian x decoy, a small blind (the kind you stick in the ground that forms a wall around you), and a trigger stick. The vest was very comfortable and not too hot.

I picked it up on amazon for $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
I like a vest. I went from hunting the Midwest to Idaho, and still kept the vest after trying a backpack for a couple hunts. Mine is pretty old, but I like having my stuff right in front of me and the folding seat is really nice, especially in steeper stuff or when there is not a big tree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
North Missouri number two.
26.5 lbs. 2 lbs is probably soaking wet feathers from the monsoon we had last night. Still a good one.
988ac53b7c2de225f1fbde670cd5dc1f.jpg
d4b19f8b817801d5c5d3003281d975c6.jpg
62d1d99807d9b24627ee49a2c606a51e.jpg
e7265f4a04cd1ad31bf05ce9e9b4ba89.jpg
a74379c36b1a91377299fa17c66870a0.jpg
Hauled him about two miles in the tenzing.

Shadow14

WKR
I wonder if anybody's opinion has changed since last year or if someone has discovered another vest they love??

NWHunter84

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked running the Midway USA vest last year here in E. Washington. Enough pockets for what I wanted but not so many that i carried a bunch of crap that I didn’t need. We covered 10-12 miles and I was comfortable.

OP
ezmorningrebel
i dumped my nomad vest after getting the alps grand slam. pulled the kickstand out and love it. will run it again this year without second thought.

Another vote for the Tactical Tat'r II. I've been through a pile of vests but have been using the Tat'r II for the past 6 seasons and no plans to change. I had some seams ripping on my first one and I returned it to Cabela's and they sent me a brand new one.

Unoboats

WKR
I'm struggling to decide what to do too... pack or vest? I've been using a vest up to this point but my almost 20 year old vest is falling apart and finally let me down trying to carry out last years Tom. Buckles finally broke and I had to limp it back to the truck.

I would think the advantage to the pack is you can carry decoys easier and when a bird is down the pack out seems like it would be much easier with the weight. Packing a Tom out in the pouch of those vests pretty much stinks! The down side I can see to carrying my pack (Duplex with a cargo panel?) is there aren't enough pockets on the waist belt to accommodate everything I like to carry, as far as calls. I usually have a couple friction calls with multiple strikers, a box call, several mouth calls, crow call, gobble tube and maybe a couple others I'm not thinking about. You could probably fit all these in some large pouches on your waist belt but they wouldn't be very organized or easily accessible. Not to mention carrying around a big pack instead of a simple vest doesn't seem to appealing.

Some type of hybrid would be nice but not sure those exist? I'm not sure what the answer is? Where and how you hunt would undoubtedly come into play. Chasing mountain birds around "run and gun" style makes me think trying the pack would be a better option. If I were spending more time sitting than hiking the vest might be the better option? Curious what others are doing too...
Alps has a new minimalist vest with a detachable fanny pac. No seat pad. I carry a seat separately.

Jimss

WKR
I spot and stalk===run and gun hunt for turkeys. I found it's a lot easier carrying a pack with gear and a couple compact decoys than a vest. I often end up packing out 1 or 2 gobblers several miles and a pack is a lot easier to haul out toms! I can also attach my shotgun or bow to the pack when not hunting.

I'm not exactly sure what I would ever use a vest for? I have a diaphragm call in my mouth plus an additional one in my pocket. Also have a couple extra shells in my pocket just in case. My camo jacket plus pack has room for raingear, extra shells, knife, lunch, water, etc. I use my pack exactly how I use it for deer, elk, and other big game. Really no need for a vest!

I've got a cabela's predator vest with kickstand style backrest. I picked up for about $100 on sale a few years back. I love it. I've also tried the crazy creek style chair but I prefer the kickstand. I would sometimes get some back pain without proper back support on longer sits. This vest has cured that. I won't hunt with out it now. My only wish is that it also had a large pocket on the back for carrying decoys. I've contemplated adding one myself.

Ursus1975

FNG
I just got a new Nomad vest an im super happy with it. Very comfortable lots of pockets and big nice seat. I would say if you have to use a backpack for turkey hunting your just carrying to much stuff but to each their own. Check the Nomad out i give it two thumbs up.

I picked up an Alps Grand Slam a couple years ago cheap on eBay and have been running that for the last couple seasons. The kickstand frame is a little overrated and I removed it from the vest to lighten the load, but other than that its a great vest. It has all the pockets you will need and they keep all your gear secure and most importantly quiet. The removable seat pad is nice and thick and the back pocket has plenty of space for a couple decoys. Looks like other Alps vests have these same features just minus the kickstand the Grand Slam has. Def a brand I'd look into again if I was in the market for a new vest.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dazzler

WKR
Recently picked up a Turkey satchel from Glenda Green Custom Call Holsters. It’s really high quality and works well for me in the field. Holds calls and essentials.