Any thoughts on turkey vests?

in the past i've run a daypack with my decoy and a butt pad stuffed inside but i'm thinking of going to a turkey vest. any thoughts on models to look at?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cabelas has a few models-one called Tactical Tat'r looks like a possibility Optics Planet has Primos vest starting at $76.00. Tenzig has a model -Tenzing TZ TP14- with all sorts of possibilities but is expensive

I have an old vest and looking for a new one but undecided so far. Problem is loading it with too much stuff as many models have too many pockets-in my opinion

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'm struggling to decide what to do too... pack or vest? I've been using a vest up to this point but my almost 20 year old vest is falling apart and finally let me down trying to carry out last years Tom. Buckles finally broke and I had to limp it back to the truck.

I would think the advantage to the pack is you can carry decoys easier and when a bird is down the pack out seems like it would be much easier with the weight. Packing a Tom out in the pouch of those vests pretty much stinks! The down side I can see to carrying my pack (Duplex with a cargo panel?) is there aren't enough pockets on the waist belt to accommodate everything I like to carry, as far as calls. I usually have a couple friction calls with multiple strikers, a box call, several mouth calls, crow call, gobble tube and maybe a couple others I'm not thinking about. You could probably fit all these in some large pouches on your waist belt but they wouldn't be very organized or easily accessible. Not to mention carrying around a big pack instead of a simple vest doesn't seem to appealing.

Some type of hybrid would be nice but not sure those exist? I'm not sure what the answer is? Where and how you hunt would undoubtedly come into play. Chasing mountain birds around "run and gun" style makes me think trying the pack would be a better option. If I were spending more time sitting than hiking the vest might be the better option? Curious what others are doing too...

I have a vest, I like it because it has several pockets and the game bag is nice for carrying wings to imitate fly down etc. it also has the orange pop out strip so walking out with a bird some idiot doesn't shoot me. A bag would be nice for carrying a big bird any distance but that's the only value I see. I use the Montana decoy, hen, or none at all. Decoys are over rated here on hard hunted public with low bird numbers.

OP
ezmorningrebel
i use one of those foam floppy decoys on a stick so i can pretty much stuff it in anything. i'm going back and forth still. i don't carry a ton of calls so having a bunch of dedicated little pockets for this and that doesn't appeal as much. i pretty much run 2 or 3 diaphragms and 1 slate call with a couple strikers. i was thinking about one of those kickstand vests so i can just set up where ever but i'm mostly hunting in steep terrain and don't know about setting those up on uneven ground. seems like if you had to re-position as a bird is coming it would be a pain.

I had the same decision last year. I wanted to bag in case I killed a bird. Also nice for carrying extra clothes when it’s a little colder at the start if the season. I liked having the water bottle pocket on my belt. But as far as set up my brother was way faster with his vest. He just unhooked his seat pad and sat down. I would have to dig out my seat and calls and so forth. I have a hill people gear kit bag that I have been using a lot and I may switch it over and use it for carrying some turkey calls in on my chest. Maybe the kit bag with the pack might be a good combo. Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brik

FNG
I have used everything from pockets on my pants and jacket to packs and and the hill people gear kit bag. I love my hpg kit bag and that with a pack to carry chair and extra clothes in worked great but with the kit bag ( for the way i hunt and set up and sit in my turkey lounger) seem to get in way. What i mean by that is it worked great for carrying calls and everything in that i needed but when i got to where i needed to set up and sat in my chair it kind of bulged right where i wanted to hold my hands to use my pot/peg call. Mouth call even my box call didnt get bothered by it but my pot calls and where i want to hold them when sitting in the cabelas turkey lounge it is right in way. This is completly personal and not a knock on the gear but last 2 years i have switch to a vest. i have went to the Tenzing TZ TP14 and i freaking love it. Everything is in the perfect place and the front sections of it where all the pockets for the call are detach. That is a huge deal to me and not many people talk about it so maybe it is just me lol. I love that i can disconect them and attach them to inside of a blind if i switch to a blind for the day. Turkey vest always seem to hang and dangle so if im not on the ground but in blind in blind chair i can detach my calls keeping them all together and organized and attach them to the wall of the blind right infront of me. Another example of why i like this is for example last year i took my brother on a hunt to try and get him his first turkey and we had one coming in but got busted well after that we got back to the truck and i was able to detach the calls and keep them all on my lap together and organized and drove to the next area. I got out and hit the calls nothing .... moved on next area did same thing and got a response off in distance. He grabbed his gun and i just grabbed the call pockets and left the vest and ran to get a good spot and set up. I had everything with me that i needed to call the turkey and didnt have to take the time to put everything on. We got that bird for his first. All that said i hated carrying the blind and decoys with it so this year im really trying to figure a way to attach those pockets to my kifaru. hope all that rambling helped some heck i just hope no one fell asleep reading it.

Jimss

WKR
I use my Kifaru pack here in Colo where I run and gun deep into some rough, remote country. It's nice having the space to haul decoys and bird comfortably on my back. In Nebraska I sometimes use a smaller pack if hiking close to my truck or Kifaru for longer treks. I only carry a couple mouth calls. Once I learned to use mouth calls it saved on hauling around bulky calls/sticks plus my hands are free. I carry some extra shells plus a couple decoys and I'm pretty much set. I cover lots of country each day so the lighter and more compact....the better!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I had much rather have a vest than a pack for turkey hunting. I have an old school Bucklick Creek vest that I bought in '99. Redhead makes one now, but I prefer the original. i never had a use for decoys, so toting them never were a factor for me. The first thing I did was cut the stupid orange flap off that comes on it.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Here!Here! on the Bucklick Creek vest. Other than having to sew the back pouch a time or two it's still working like a charm! I'm certain it's hauled 150+ turkeys outta the woods since '98. I cant imagine they make any that good today. Although my wife has bought me two other vests through the years, they're sitting in the garage. I'd hate to think I would ever have to use them!

Murdy

WKR
I switched away from a vest a few years ago in favor of a Badlands Monster butt pack. I also wear an HPG kit bag, where I keep most of my calls I want accessible (primarily diaphragms and maybe a locator). I use an Avian X inflatable decoy, and I find in easier to strap under the butt pack then shove in the bird compartment of the vest. Seems easier to drop the butt pack when I'm gonna sit for a while that the vest. A lot of this is just personal preference, as the vest worked fine, and I've also used more traditional back packs. If I am running multiple dekes (as I like to later in the year sometimes), I usually switch to a large back pack.

hobbes

WKR
I've ran a vest for so long, that I've not been able to convince myself to move to a pack. I rarely use the game bag on the back to carry a turkey but instead just sling it over my shoulder unless it's an incredibly long pack. I had to replace my previous one a few years ago that I'd used for 20+ years. I considered changing to a pack, but ultimately decided to go with a Cabela's this go round. I went with the one down/older than the Tactical Tatr, but it looks like they don't have it anymore I considered the Minimalist also. It's been a good vest so far and I like the seat pad.

I use the slumberjack pursuit vest for pretty much everything. I love it!! Top right is alway full of a compass, fire starting stuff and a folding knife. Top left varies. Bottom right depends on what I’m hunting. Turkey it has my slate and striker, mouth calls and gloves and sometimes my first lite gaiter( which I lost last fall and need to replace).Bottom left is my face paint, wet wipes for natures call, a head lamp and 2 or 3 clif bars. Then my bladder in the back. If I need more than that I bring a day pack for extra layers or decoys or sitting pads.

I also love it for archery. I just take out the calls and add my release and maybe so small game broad heads or something.

I do wish the back pocket was a bit bigger. It only fits a 2 liter bladder and if it held a 3 it would be perfect in my opinion.

Last edited:
Turkey hunting vests are a great addition to any turkey hunter’s gear. One thing I find handy in some vests is a game pouch. It enables you to carry up to a twenty pound bird most the time. I suggest you "ALPS OUTDOORZ NWTF IMPACT VEST" .

I let you know why because, this is a versatile, lightweight, sit-anywhere hunting vest with a flip-out seat that is conveniently built into it. I like the flip seat feature because it eliminates the need to carry a cushion with me when turkey hunting, and the comfort of the seat is great enough.

The Impact Vest has numerous pockets for a variety of calls, such as a slate call pocket that can house two slate calls and three strikers, a silent box call pocket, five shotgun shell loops, and three diaphragm call pockets. Everything in this vest is organized so well that a hunter will know exactly where each particular piece of equipment is when it comes time to use it.

OP
ezmorningrebel
well i went ahead and ordered one of the new nomad mg vests last night. i've watched every video and read everything i could on the different vests on the market right now and just in terms of layout and features it seemed like the right one. just hoping the quality and fit are alright. if not i'm it will go back and i'll look at the grand slam or impact from alps.

Bucklick Creek Vest. I will never use any other one. If they stop making them and this one falls apart I am going to have someone use it as a pattern. It is light weight and has a self supporting seat in it that does not use poles. You do not have to have a tree to sit upright against and be supported. Hands down the best I have found.

OP
ezmorningrebel
Is this bucklick Creek vest I hear so much a bout similar to the apls impact? Kind of like a crazy Creek camp chair built into a vest?

Last edited:

howl

WKR
The thing about a vest is it is an extra layer of clothing that you can't take off because all your stuff is in it.

HS Strut came out with a chest pack. I've been using my own version for years. It is a handy way to carry your stuff while also being able to easily take off and put on layers. The best way to carry a decoy is by truck to the target range and then to the recycling center.