Turkey Season

Whose ready for turkey season. I got back into it last year after a long break from turkey hunting and I can’t wait to get back out after some birds. My goal for this year is to kill a public land bird which is basically the only option I have anyway lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
NW Alabama. I could probably hunt in TN also if I could swing the out of state license. I’ve never traveled out of state for a turkey hunt but it sounds fun. Good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drew Utah tag again finally. These damn birds always make me look stupid hopefully I can call one in for the kid this year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I'm ready to get started! I'm planning on hunting IL, OK, TX, and KS. NW Alabama, i can only imagine how wary those birds must be! Good luck to all of you and welcome back aclawrence! Time to make up for lost time, may as well buy that TN license!

OP
aclawrence
They do get a little pressure here in NW AL lol. I had one issue where a couple guys came up and parked at the gate where were parked at jumped out and ran in front of us. We asked where they were headed at least so we could spread out. Of course they lied and went and set up on the field we were going to. I guess we should have got to walking a little faster but they would have just walked in on us either way. It was super frustrating but I’m not going to get in a fight over a hunting spot.

rbljack

WKR
Whose ready for turkey season. I got back into it last year after a long break from turkey hunting and I can’t wait to get back out after some birds. My goal for this year is to kill a public land bird which is basically the only option I have anyway lol.

EXACTLY this!! I got back into it last year after a long hiatus due to loss of hunting area (yep..i live in texas and don't own land...uggggg). Went up into the mountains of NM last year, and will be doing the same thing in a few months. Its a great way to test out some gear, shed hunt, and scout around also!! I'm in the same country as the elk I hope to draw a tag for ONE of these years...still trying.

NW Alabama. I could probably hunt in TN also if I could swing the out of state license. I’ve never traveled out of state for a turkey hunt but it sounds fun. Good luck.

Just recently moved to the MS/AL line and plan on hitting NW bama pretty hard myself...Already had good success on the public land deer there.

This spring I plan on hunting MS and Bama and then making two trips...One to Illinois and maybe Iowa (depending on draws) and then a second to New York and Pennsylvania.

OP
aclawrence
Just recently moved to the MS/AL line and plan on hitting NW bama pretty hard myself...Already had good success on the public land deer there.

This spring I plan on hunting MS and Bama and then making two trips...One to Illinois and maybe Iowa (depending on draws) and then a second to New York and Pennsylvania.

Cool. Will you be hunting Freedom Hills? I hunted mostly in Waterloo last year and was happy to hear a good bit of birds but they are pretty dang smart. I learned how to turkey hunt on a deer hunting club about 17-18 years ago and when we gave up our club I kind of gave up turkey hunting. I always heard the WMA’s were crazy so I never went but my brother has been going a lot the last few years and he’s gotten me back into it. It wasn’t that terrible lol and I got to hear some birds gobble. Now I’m ready to drop the hammer on one! Unfortunately I’m having to drop the hammer on buying some new turkey hunting equipment lol.

Jimss

WKR
I look forward to gobbler hunting as much as any species! I've been fortunate to have a buddy that hooks me up on great private land in Nebraska and I hunt public land here in Colo. It's super tough here in Colo but I've put in the boot leather and filled every tag. If I work some extra hours and accumulate some extra comp time I may head to 1 or 2 more states. I can't wait for the gobbling to begin!

OP
aclawrence
That’s nice on the private land hook up! Nebraska sounds like a good turkey state. What’s it’s like turkey hunting in CO? Are you hunting higher elevation?

boom

WKR
i'm ready!!

it's my years easiest hunt..in the fact that i got sole permission on private land..and that private land is near a hotel!! the area recently went up in fire..the guys property was spared. what that means is that all the turkey are in his TREES this year!!! he said he counted 100 birds in the neighbors property (i have permission there as well)..all because he has the healthiest grove of mature roosting trees.

in CA, we can only hunt up until 4 pm. so it is off to town after that, an i leave my blind and decoys on the private property. i just walk in carrying a thermos of coffee.

this is the year i am knocking one down with my pellet rifle. that last two have been fails.

Cool. Will you be hunting Freedom Hills? I hunted mostly in Waterloo last year and was happy to hear a good bit of birds but they are pretty dang smart. I learned how to turkey hunt on a deer hunting club about 17-18 years ago and when we gave up our club I kind of gave up turkey hunting. I always heard the WMA’s were crazy so I never went but my brother has been going a lot the last few years and he’s gotten me back into it. It wasn’t that terrible lol and I got to hear some birds gobble. Now I’m ready to drop the hammer on one! Unfortunately I’m having to drop the hammer on buying some new turkey hunting equipment lol.

Yeah, I'll be hunting Freedom Hills and Waterloo. I heard the areas receive a lot of pressure and get hammered quick! But that is nothing out of the ordinary with pub land turkey in the southeast. Looking forward to stomping around on new ground.

tomorrow is our last day of fall turkey season so i'm going to give in one more go in the morning. got a big chunk of private ground on the side of a mountain that we're going to cover and see if we can get into them. then it's the wait until mid april. just gotta get in a lot of work with the diaphragm between now and then.

OP
aclawrence
Yeah, I'll be hunting Freedom Hills and Waterloo. I heard the areas receive a lot of pressure and get hammered quick! But that is nothing out of the ordinary with pub land turkey in the southeast. Looking forward to stomping around on new ground.

Nice, If you see a short guy with a diy painted 870 and kryptek highlander pants it’s me. Good luck.

Murdy

WKR
Illinois and Wisconsin for me. There's something special about being out in the woods in the spring. Actually, its one of my favorite times of the year all around, turkey, morels, crappie spawn, asparagus, etc.

boom

WKR
we should do a turkey trade..

for example, i put someone on a Rio..and someone gets me onto a local Eastern..:)