Anyone hunt Turkey's in Montana?

CC

FNG
We moved to Montana a few years ago from PA and love being here. The bear hunting in the spring is great, but I sure miss getting up and hunting birds in the morning. When I was 14 and in school I would get up at 4 and walk a couple of miles to where I could hunt. I would have to leave by 6:40 to get back to the house to catch a ride to school (my dad didn't hunt). Didn't give me a lot of time to hunt, but I sure did love it. I'm looking for a place where I can chase turkeys not just a small private ground where some hand out. Decent bear hunting in the area would be a bonus :). I have heard the turkey's took a hit with the fires in 2012 in the Ashland area, and the turkeys are few and far between in the breaks. Have also been told turkeys are mostly on private land in the Kalispell area. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!
Casey

hobbes

WKR
I'll try to send a PM in the next couple days. If not, send me one to remind me.

charvey9

WKR
If you are in Dillon, the Bitterroot Valley is getting overrun with Turks. Might need to knock on some doors, but they upped the tag limit in Ravali county this year. Technically you could shoot two Toms in Region 2 this spring with the region tag and general tag, then shoot up to 5 hens in the fall.

Check out some of the UGBEP / NWTF habitat work that is being done in the area for public land hunting opportunities.

Its kinds of crazy, if you took advantage of every Turkey tag opportunity in Montana you could shoot like 15 birds a year. I have 5 spring tags in my pocket right now!

Plenty of long beards to hunt in MT... Some of the best turkey hunting I've ever had was in MT. I need to get back there soon, it's been about 3 years too long.