Merriam turkey hunting recommendations

xcutter

WKR
Looking for a good outfitter that won't break the bank. I'm also interested in paying for trespassing rights and doing my own thing. Might consider public land hunting also. I've killed Easterns and Rios. I'd like to get a couple Merriam's also. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not certain what their rates are now, but several years ago we hunted on the Standing Rock Sioux Indian reservation for $50 a bird in South Dakota. It was a DIY hunt and there was no limit to the amount of turkeys you could kill. It was like the first time I was introduced to an ATM machine! I couldn't help from going back to the well again and again! Good luck in your pursuit. Cheap guided Merriam hunts aren't that cheap in my opinion. With a little more legwork and time spent, it is far cheaper to go DIY

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Ponderosa Wildlife Area in Northwest Nebraska, has a good number of public land turkeys.

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not certain what their rates are now, but several years ago we hunted on the Standing Rock Sioux Indian reservation for $50 a bird in South Dakota. It was a DIY hunt and there was no limit to the amount of turkeys you could kill. It was like the first time I was introduced to an ATM machine! I couldn't help from going back to the well again and again! Good luck in your pursuit. Cheap guided Merriam hunts aren't that cheap in my opinion. With a little more legwork and time spent, it is far cheaper to go DIY

Looks like they are now $150. Bag limit is two. Good experience Reload?

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Game and Fish - Spring Turkey

I could spend up to a week of time. Just have no idea of where to go. I was hoping to find some private property to hunt and pay for trespassing rights. But I'm open to public as well.
If you have a week, just go DIY. Plenty of public land with pure strained Merriam's on them(not hybrid birds like the prairie states). NM, CO, MT, ID, and WY are states I'd look into.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk